RC-Monster Forums  
RC Monster

Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > RC-Monster Area > General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
O'Donnell O'Lube or Gorilla Snawt for all metal transmission?
Old
  (#1)
tech_freak
RC-Monster Stock
 
Offline
Posts: 15
Join Date: Nov 2011
Question O'Donnell O'Lube or Gorilla Snawt for all metal transmission? - 11.12.2011, 04:48 PM

http://www.rcboca.com/o-donnell-o-lu...LAID=560730831
http://myworld.ebay.com/christi4240/
I want to use gorilla snawt,but seems like the seller is having a technical issue or something.Not trying to make the seller look bad,but look at the recent feedback.I tried gorilla snawt a few years ago.Worked really good in my diff:ring & pinion gears & cvds!
The odonnell seems like it would work,worth trying.What do you guys think?

Last edited by tech_freak; 11.12.2011 at 04:53 PM.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#2)
_paralyzed_
working on a brushless for my wheelchair.....
 
_paralyzed_'s Avatar
 
Offline
Posts: 4,890
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: minnesnowta
11.12.2011, 09:17 PM

Try this: The best lube


_______________________________________

It's "Dr. _paralyzed_" actually. Not like with a PhD, but Doctor like in Dr. Pepper.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#3)
lincpimp
Check out my huge box!
 
lincpimp's Avatar
 
Offline
Posts: 11,935
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Slidell, LA
11.12.2011, 11:09 PM

If you can seal the trans (use some rtv on the halves before bolting it together) the lucas or stp oil stabilizers seem to be the best bet for metal on metal contact.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#4)
BIG-block
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
11.13.2011, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincpimp View Post
If you can seal the trans (use some rtv on the halves before bolting it together) the lucas or stp oil stabilizers seem to be the best bet for metal on metal contact.
Wont it still leak out through the bearings and in between the bearings and shafts??? I am really curious as I would like to run the best thing through my Savage trans. I have seen those Lucas oil stabilizers on display at the auto parts store. They have a cool display inside a perspex cover where you can see how it sticks to the gears. I think it would work really well but was worried that it would leak out.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#5)
_paralyzed_
working on a brushless for my wheelchair.....
 
_paralyzed_'s Avatar
 
Offline
Posts: 4,890
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: minnesnowta
11.13.2011, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG-block View Post
Wont it still leak out through the bearings and in between the bearings and shafts??? I am really curious as I would like to run the best thing through my Savage trans. I have seen those Lucas oil stabilizers on display at the auto parts store. They have a cool display inside a perspex cover where you can see how it sticks to the gears. I think it would work really well but was worried that it would leak out.
No, it won't leak, it's not that thin. Just seal the case halves as Linc mentioned.


_______________________________________

It's "Dr. _paralyzed_" actually. Not like with a PhD, but Doctor like in Dr. Pepper.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#6)
tech_freak
RC-Monster Stock
 
Offline
Posts: 15
Join Date: Nov 2011
11.15.2011, 10:24 AM

I'm going to use a thin coating of odonnell,then put some lucas G3 racing grease over.http://www.lucasoil.com/products/dis...acing%20Grease .Seems like it will do good.If it slings out to the case,will try just the lucas.Filling it up with oil stabilizers would add a decent amount of weight,probably would be good for a dual brushless setup though.
Thanks for the replys
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#7)
lincpimp
Check out my huge box!
 
lincpimp's Avatar
 
Offline
Posts: 11,935
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Slidell, LA
11.15.2011, 02:57 PM

You only need enough of the stabilizer to cover the teeth of the lowest gear, once it moves it will spread the stuff on all of the contact surfaces. Filling the case full would cause some serious drag issues!

As for it leaking past the bearings, the rubber sealed bearings seem to stop it, plus at rest you do not have enough product to fill the case up to the bearing lines.

The display in the auto parts stores is pretty cool. I always enjoy seeing the stabilizer stick to the gears.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#8)
tech_freak
RC-Monster Stock
 
Offline
Posts: 15
Join Date: Nov 2011
11.15.2011, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincpimp View Post
You only need enough of the stabilizer to cover the teeth of the lowest gear, once it moves it will spread the stuff on all of the contact surfaces. Filling the case full would cause some serious drag issues!

As for it leaking past the bearings, the rubber sealed bearings seem to stop it, plus at rest you do not have enough product to fill the case up to the bearing lines.

The display in the auto parts stores is pretty cool. I always enjoy seeing the stabilizer stick to the gears.
I will give it a try it sometime,don't know why I didn't think of doing it like that .
I bet it could be used in sealed diffs also.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#9)
George16
Supermaxx
 
George16's Avatar
 
Offline
Posts: 2,028
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Earth
11.15.2011, 04:06 PM

Gorilla Snawt for the win!!!!!!


Castle Neu 1520 on 6S LiPo Powered Gmaxx (Nitro Killer)
Predator with OS .21TM
Supermaxx with Mach .26
Revo with OS .18TZ
Kyosho ST-RR Conversion
Ofna CR with Tekin ESC/Motor (2)
   
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump



RC Monster




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skin developed by: vBStyles.com