Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > Support Forums > Brushless

Old
  (#16)
sikeston34m
RC-Monster Brushless

01.12.2008, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincpimp View Post
Most people seem to find that the 125b does not like a fully charged 6s pack. Once the voltage comes down a little the quark seems to be ok. Since your setup is obviously not drawing a ton of amps, you are most likely not overtaxing the 125b. I havea feeling that the quark is somewhat sensitive to gearing when running on 6s. Too much load and it will most likely have issues, as many have found.

Nice to hear that it is working well for you. If I put the 2826/12 in mine it should run great. Lower kv will load the esc even less, I may be able to get away with a quark 80, instead of the 125b.

Not to hijack your thread, but I just ordered another 125b and a savage ss kit. I also ordered the brushless savage chassis from mike! I may try an out runner in this, as it looks to have some more room, and mech brakes too! alo bought a pair of trakpower gold lipos, a greatplane 60hv esc with prog card, 3 more ccbec, and a sv27 6 pole boat motor to test out. It was an expensive morning! (not really as I have worked a trade with the lhs owner for most of the stuff I got)

Really like the out runner setup you did here sike, looks clean and I am sure that will run well. Are you going to stay with 6s, or step down when the 2 speed comes out? Or are you going for some insane speed!?!
No Worries on hijacking the thread. It's open house as far as I'm concerned. LOL

You're probably right on the 6S experiences/comments. In a setup that was overgeared and cogging. I think it would crash the ESC quickly if a person just kept stabbing the throttle, trying to make it work. Even when it's headed for a thermal shutdown, I feel like the thermistor takes a few seconds to react. If the heat is too drastic and the situation comes about too quick, damage occurs before the thermal shutdown happens.

On the topic of comparing kv ratings of motors. It seems to me it's a trade off. The lower the kv, the higher the torque. But by going to a higher kv, you take some of that torque for rpm making ability. This applies to inrunners and outrunners alike.

More toys huh? Yes, The Quark 80b may work with this just fine. NO temp issues at all with the 125 amp ESC.

I really like what the BEC does to a system. What brand are the ones you got?

The SV27 motor is a screaming, by just looking at the Video's. It's putting out some Omph!

I have a Traxxas Villain EX on the way. Got a good deal on a used one. I've been toying around with the idea of putting 2 - AXI 2820/8's in it. They are 1500kv with a 5mm shaft. Upsize the motor pinions and put it on Dual 70amp ESC's. Then I can play around with the Prop pitch and sizing to take advantage of all that torque. Should make for some neat water cooling modifications also.

On this E maxx setup, I'm going to see how the motor reacts to pulling that taller 2nd gear when I get the 2 speed installed. I'm sure it will do well. I will get some video's after I get the transmission upgraded.

Metalman said this motor looks small. You're not gonna believe how well it pushes this truck.

On 6S, I'm a little concerned about the Center Drive shafts being tough enough.

Old
  (#17)
xpy
German Basher

06.23.2008, 11:23 AM

Hi guys,

I'm new here, I come from Germany so don't be suprised about my bad English.

I want to convert my E-Maxx to brushless. The SetUp I thougt about is this:

- Kontronik Jazz 55-10-32
- Axi 2826/12
- 8s1p FePo4

My Question:

Do you think it will work or is the motor too powerful for the ESC? I think I would gear it 40/22 for the beginning and if the ESC is not getting too warm I will go up to 40/25.
Will the motor get along with the 8s FePo or is this too much for him?
What do you think about the runtime?

Old
  (#18)
sikeston34m
RC-Monster Brushless

06.23.2008, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpy View Post
Hi guys,

I'm new here, I come from Germany so don't be suprised about my bad English.

I want to convert my E-Maxx to brushless. The SetUp I thougt about is this:

- Kontronik Jazz 55-10-32
- Axi 2826/12
- 8s1p FePo4

My Question:

Do you think it will work or is the motor too powerful for the ESC? I think I would gear it 40/22 for the beginning and if the ESC is not getting too warm I will go up to 40/25.
Will the motor get along with the 8s FePo or is this too much for him?
What do you think about the runtime?

Hi Xpy,

I think the motor and the ESC are made for each other. Be sure to put the cooling fan on the motor though. It does make alot of difference in motor temps.

8S FePo? I have ran 6S Lipo on the 2826/10 motor with 22/40 gearing. 8S might just be ok with the 2826/12. Run it for a little bit, then check your temps to make sure they are cool enough for your liking.

Runtime? What is the Mah capacity of your battery setup?

Old
  (#19)
BL_RV0
RC-Monster Dual Brushless

06.23.2008, 06:54 PM

Well, FePO4 is short for LiFePO4, that means his batteries are 2300mah, because LiFePO4 is A123, IIRC.

Get me back into RC!
  Send a message via Yahoo to BL_RV0 Send a message via AIM to BL_RV0 Send a message via MSN to BL_RV0  
Old
  (#20)
rootar
RC-Monster Titanium

06.23.2008, 07:29 PM

wow if its pushes the emaxx around at that low of temps, how would it fair in a truggy on 5s geared for 40? what do these motors go for compared to nue motors?

Old
  (#21)
suicideneil
Old Skool

06.23.2008, 08:52 PM

They vary, but you are looking at about $40 for a cheaper outrunner the correct size, or upto $80-100 for a more expensive brand. Still alot cheaper than the inrunners we would be using...

Old
  (#22)
rootar
RC-Monster Titanium

06.23.2008, 09:00 PM

i just looked at the specs and that thing it smaller than an L can feagio only 2.1" long and 1.4" diameter ............i didnt realize it was that small.

what are you refering to as the proper size?

Old
  (#23)
suicideneil
Old Skool

06.24.2008, 08:07 AM

Well, there a couple routes you can take with an outrunner setup:

outrunner in place of a normal motor, so they tend to be smaller and higher kv.

outrunner used in place of the tranny, or inplace of the spur & pinion- direct drive more or less, so they tend to be a bit larger and slower.

Hence the slight price difference between the different sizes and cheaper vs brand name motors. I've toyed with the idea myself abit, but i'll let a few more pioneers have fun first before I do any serious thinking.

Old
  (#24)
xpy
German Basher

06.24.2008, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikeston34m View Post
Hi Xpy,

Be sure to put the cooling fan on the motor though. It does make alot of difference in motor temps.

Of course i would put a cooling fan on the motor.
I think the runtime should be at about 18 min. Do you think this could be possible?

Old
  (#25)
suicideneil
Old Skool

06.24.2008, 06:50 PM

18 minutes with half-decent batteries is easily possible, the lower amp draw of the motor will help increase runtime for certain I would wager.

Old
  (#26)
xpy
German Basher

06.26.2008, 04:38 AM

Hi guys,

does somebody of you know where I can get the AXI 2826/12 in Europe for a reasonable price?

Old
  (#27)
suicideneil
Old Skool

06.26.2008, 06:07 PM

I would say start looking for plane and heli websites. If not, there are some very similar motors on BRC HOBBIES. Not quite as slow as the 2826/12, but close...

Old
  (#28)
ICUBoy
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

06.26.2008, 06:23 PM

Hi all- this looks like lots of fun, but I don't know if the MM is a good controller for the Axi-type motors? Can anyone offer an answer please? Thanks a lot.
Kind regards
David

Old
  (#29)
suicideneil
Old Skool

06.26.2008, 06:29 PM

It'll run outrunners just fine with the updated software/firmware, you are just limited to 4s lipo, so really low kv motors & high voltage setups require a different esc with better specs; ampdraw will fine.

Old
  (#30)
ICUBoy
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

06.27.2008, 12:57 AM

Bewdy - thanks for the reply suicideneil!