Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > Support Forums > Brushless

Single VXL Maxx - Would that work fine?
Old
  (#1)
xpy
German Basher

Single VXL Maxx - Would that work fine? - 08.31.2008, 03:07 PM

Hi,

Don't be suprised about my bad English. I'm from Germany.

I want to convert my Maxx to brushless. I thought about a single VXL and be 3s LiPo. I think the single VXL should be able to push that truck pretty well because it's a real light weight truck. Without motors and speedcontrol my Maxx is about 7,7 pounds.

Do you think the VXL will do that or will it overhead?

What gearing would you suggest?

Of course I would use a cooler and a little fan for the motor.

Manuel

Old
  (#2)
azjc

08.31.2008, 03:16 PM

IMO the VXL motor doesnt have enough torque I would expect it to get hot, if you want to go cheap go with a Feigao XL motor and which one will depend on what voltage you will be running

Old
  (#3)
BL_RV0
RC-Monster Dual Brushless

08.31.2008, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azjc View Post
IMO the VXL motor doesnt have enough torque I would expect it to get hot, if you want to go cheap go with a Feigao XL motor and which one will depend on what voltage you will be running
+1...
If you have a bit more money, try a Medusa 60mm motor, or a 70mm when (and if) they come out. I'd get a Medusa 36-70-1500 when it is released. If you're wondering about the KV of the Medusa 70mm motors, they are the same as the 60mm motors. The ideal voltage for the 36-70-1500 would be 6s lipo. You'd want to run a MGM most likely, since the MMM is having so many failures. Or, if you're confident in your soldering skills, you could get a MMM and disable the BEC. If you were getting a MGM, get either a 22418 or a 16024. I've been hearing that the 16018 has been having problems with 6s. If you want to run 4s, get a Medusa 36-70-2000. You could run a MM ESC or if you want to stick with MGM, try a 9012. I'm only recommending MGM because I'm assuming you're in Germany. There's higher quality options, but Medusa is the best bang for the buck, IMO. Hope this clears a few things up for you.

Get me back into RC!
  Send a message via Yahoo to BL_RV0 Send a message via AIM to BL_RV0 Send a message via MSN to BL_RV0  
Old
  (#4)
traxxasbasher13

08.31.2008, 11:55 PM

I run one in mine eather on six cell nimh or 12 cell nimh with a mm. I also run 16/66 gearing the hottest its ever got was 170F after running for a good 30min. In my opion its fine for an e-maxx. But I guess it's up to.

Old
  (#5)
ANGRY-ALIEN
RC-Monster Aluminum

09.01.2008, 12:07 AM

Have a look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkJeo...ngle+vxl&emb=0

Old
  (#6)
asheck

09.01.2008, 10:27 AM

At 7.7 lbs it should imo do ok geared for about 30.But it would be better to go with a bigger motor.

Old
  (#7)
Byte

09.01.2008, 11:17 AM

I run my VXL system in my Rustler VXL, with a 7.2V and 8.4V battery, the motor is everytime everywhere very COOL. And the ESC too.

I think it would run good.

Old
  (#8)
suicideneil
Old Skool

09.01.2008, 11:56 AM

Rustler = 4-5lb and 2wd.
Emaxx = 9-10lb and 4wd.

It wont run good, not if you actually like going faster than the stock titans, at which point it runs too hot.

Old
  (#9)
traxxasbasher13

09.01.2008, 10:59 PM

My motor only runs hot because I live in Chandler AZ, and its like 103F during the day. With a fan the motor would run great. On 6 cell nimh it just as fast as a stock e-maxx, on 12 cell nimh it hauls. With 3S lipo you would get great run times and speed.

PS I really didn't want one at first but after I my buddies I changed my mind. :)

Old
  (#10)
asheck

09.01.2008, 11:12 PM

The vxl does not run 12 cell nihm.(ok saw your previous MM)I personally would not think it capable of 20mph on 6 cell nihm,and you better have good nihm.

Old
  (#11)
Finnster
KillaHurtz

09.01.2008, 11:55 PM

No.. simply no. Don't do it unless you want to waste time and money.
Cheapest and easiest bet is to do a Medusa or a Neu 1515 powered by a mamba max on 4S lipo. Feigaos work, but run hot, and a medusa is so much better for little less anyway. A MMM may work fine, but god knows for sure at this point.

MGMs are really good, but more expensive. I like mine alot, but the MMM will be great too once it works properly. IDK on the 6S 16018 issue, first I've heard, but who cares, 4 or 5S is fine anyway.

Vxl???
Old
  (#12)
JERRY2KONE
JERRY2KONE SUPERMAXX

Vxl??? - 09.02.2008, 01:08 AM

Look it has been done before and it proves to be more problematic in the long run. The VXL system just does not hold up well in the EMaxx unless you gear for really slow speeds. Like stated earlier since you are in Germany go with either the MGM or Schulz controller, and use either a Neu 1515, Madusa, or even a Plettenberg Big Maximum. With those choices you will have much more fun for your money, and you are able to get tech support much easier from those companies there. Don't waste your time or money on the VXL in a Maxx. It just does not work well.

Old
  (#13)
azjc

09.02.2008, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by traxxasbasher13 View Post
My motor only runs hot because I live in Chandler AZ, and its like 103F during the day. With a fan the motor would run great. On 6 cell nimh it just as fast as a stock e-maxx, on 12 cell nimh it hauls. With 3S lipo you would get great run times and speed.

PS I really didn't want one at first but after I my buddies I changed my mind. :)
TB13...I live in Phoenix and I know what you mean by the heat in the summer it will be 100degs by 10am...the summer here is our winter its usually a good time to hang up the RC unless you want to get up by 7am and run early...try going up to a 4s if you have a MM one of the best things I ever did for my rustler

Old
  (#14)
jayjay283
RC-Monster Titanium

09.02.2008, 08:14 AM

If the emaxx is seriously 7.7lbs, which would involve removing 1/2 the stuff on it, grinding the chassis to bare minumum, and using light weight wheels and tires it can work. I refer you to Tempted from the traxxas forums, search his posts there LINK, Anything else even if you gear at 15t pinion you will fry the motor and esc.

Old
  (#15)
xpy
German Basher

09.02.2008, 10:42 AM

Hi,

here is a pic of my Maxx:

As you can see it on the picture it is about 8,5 pounds.

I read some more threads about the single VXL Maxx and it was often written that two VXL systems wouldn't give much more Power than one does.

RC Calculations calculated about 32 mph for a single VXL with 15t pinion and Pro-Line Crimefighters MTR.

Can anybody tell what the runtimes are like with a 3s 4000 mAh LiPo?