RC Monster

Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > Support Forums > Brushless

Quark durability test
Old
  (#1)
RC-Monster Mike
Site Owner

Quark durability test - 07.30.2006, 02:23 PM

will say that the Quark is my favorite controller so far. It has many features, including a built in LVC for the Lipos. This controller is also smooth as butter, and works with 4 pole motors(unlike BK). The Quark monster pro is a step above Shulze for smoothness as well(Shulze is similar in smoothness to the BKs in my experiance - perhaps slightly better, while the Quark is superior to both). Another benefit to the Quark so far has been their prompt, attentive service. I have seen 2 failures, which were replaced with no questions asked(within days - not weeks or months).
The only disadvantages to the Quark in my opinion are the lack of reverse braking(engages forward immediately if running in reverse and changing directions) - this doesn't bother me a whole lot, as I prefer to drive forward anyways and only use revers occasionally to back out of trouble. The Quark could also use a larger heatsink built into the case.

I did some pretty serious testing yesterday at the track with the Quark. I did take some preventative measures regarding heat - I milled my own custom rear g-maxx upper extension plate that incorporates a 3/8" heatsink built into the bottom of it, with a 40mm fan blowing across the controller and heatsink.
I ran a total of nearly 2 hours - almost non stop in the 90 degree NY sun, without a thermal - I actually was trying to thermal it near the end of the day, but was unsuccessful! A simple heatsink and fan makes a huge impact, as many already know. My setup was a Neu 15151.5y motor(4 pole, 2200Kv) mated to my -soon to available- "slipperential" setup on the extended g-maxx truck. Testing was done with the body on, on a race track. The truck is a little over 10 pounds RTR and was geared for low-mid 30s(plenty fast - almost too fast for the track). The motor and controller never exceeded 145F through it all. The Maxamps 8000mah 2s packs(2 wired in series) provided excellent punch and about 25 minutes of race runtime. I also ran some A123 Lion packs for testing in between the 8k mah 4s packs. These will likely be a product available soon from RC-Monster, along with the Neu motors(these motors are top notch - after nearly 2 hours, my motor never exceeded 145F on a hot day - a testament to their efficiency).
Joe (Batfish)was with me and assisted in the testing, along with piloting my race rig for 30 or so minutes.

In conclusion, the Quark deserves some serious reognition for their outstanding product and customer service. I would not hesitate to recommend the monster Pro controller from Quark. With proper cooling measures and setup, it is AWESOME. :)

Old
  (#2)
BrianG
RC-Monster Admin

07.30.2006, 02:49 PM

Glad to hear their service is top-notch! I pretty much agree with everything you said about the advantages and disadvantages.

The lack of reverse braking is a minor annoyance, but I found that if you have your reverse EPA set to like 60-70%, there seems to be a little reverse braking if applied slowly.

The lack of cogging is great! The only time I can get it to cog is if I am going a minimal speed (just enough Tx throttle to get the truck to move) and there is a lot of resistance - like going over a curb.

As you said, heat is cured by the use of a heatsink and/or fan. I personally prefer not to use fans, which means a bigger heatsink is needed. I kinda like it that way because it lets the end-user decide how/where/how big of a heatsink to use.
  Send a message via Yahoo to BrianG Send a message via MSN to BrianG  
Old
  (#3)
glassdoctor
TEAM FUSION

07.30.2006, 04:01 PM

Very cool information, thanks!

Sounds like a sweet setup. How do you think it would run with a motor swap to a "normal" 2 pole hacker style? ...overall performance, heat, runtime?

Old
  (#4)
danverz
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

07.30.2006, 04:46 PM

I totally agree.
I am able to run for an hour without falling in thermal problems.
And I have a great setup: lehner 1950/8, 2 parallel flightpower evo 20 5S
3700 mAh packs.
My truck is about 5.3 kg and I am pretty sure I can go up with the pinion
without problems.
I saw over 1880 watts and 97Ampere. Never gone over 56C and now here
is very hot (ambient about 30C).
I have to say my quark is very well refreshed. I used alloy and silicon paste,
with 2 fans.

Driving it is really comfortable. Really smooth.

Just my 2 cents,
Daniele

Old
  (#5)
Electric Dave

07.30.2006, 04:49 PM

Wait a minute...Three super cool products in one test run! I need to hear more about the motor and especially the A123 packs. Read lots but it's all hype till someone actually races with one of them...What were you using? Did you have a Magic Turbo box thing in there as well and how did they perform relative to other cells currently out on the market? Please advise!

Old
  (#6)
RC-Monster Mike
Site Owner

07.30.2006, 08:20 PM

The A123 packs worked great. We tested 4s 4600s(2 each 2s2p packs wired in series) - these were slower than the 4s Lipo pack, but yielded almost 15 minutes of runtime and smooth, powerful performance. We also pushed a set of 2300 packs(2 3s packs in series). This was a touch faster than the 4s Lipo setup(same gearing on all driving) with slightly less punch(2300mah packs were working hard in this setup) and yielded around 6 minutes on the track(only 2300 mah batteries). The 6s setup came off the truck at almost 160F(hottest anything got all day). All in all, I would say the A123 packs were great - they are a nice product and we hope to do more testing and possibly power the RC-Monster race trucks with these(more on these later - I have some ideas and further testing to do). We did not have a turbo box(A12 didn't have one available for us this weekend), but will certainly put it through its paces when the opportunity presents itself.
The Neu motor is slightly shorter than a 1950 lehner motor, but slightly larger in diameter(similar overall size or total mass). These are less expensive than the Lehner motors, offer a little more screw in the mount(Lehner motors require VERY short screws - these aren't as bad) and are equally as efficient, if not slightly more efficient. I pushed the motor hard on a hot day and it never got over 140F, which is extremely impressive. Being a 4 pole motor, the BK controllers don't like them much. The MGM and Quark controllers handle them well, though. The motors are pretty open, though(you can see through the motor), which isn't ideal for running in the dirt. I simply cut a piece of scrap lexan and placed it between the motor and motor mount to keep the insides clean - this seemed to work quite well and took about a minute to make. I recently signed on as a dealer for these motors, and will begin stocking them in the very near future.
The "slipperential" held up all day as well - in fact it worked perfectly - you will see it in my truck at the bash next weekend. :)

Old
  (#7)
BrianG
RC-Monster Admin

07.30.2006, 09:03 PM

I've been really watching those A123Systems batteries at various places and they seem to be really nice with their high discharge and charge C rating, and safe! I just wish they had single ~4Ah cells. And then you need a charger/balancer that is specifically designed for a 3.3v nominal cell, which requires you to get their specific charger.

By the way: what is a "slipperential"? Is it a center diff with a slipper directly on it?

Will those Neu motors be available in different (smaller) sizes - like the equivalent of LMT 1940/1930,1920?

Last edited by BrianG; 07.30.2006 at 09:05 PM.
Old
  (#8)
coolhandcountry
RC-Monster Mod

07.30.2006, 09:18 PM

The slipperential is a work of art. I have seen the design plan of this and think it is freaking fantastic. The neu motors have a website but not sure what it is.

Peace!
Country
Help support the
Rc-Monster
Buy here

Old
  (#9)
HotnCold
RC-Monster Admin

07.30.2006, 09:35 PM

It is truely an awesome thing - It will be at the RC-Monster Bash this upcoming weekend. ( And it works awesome as well :cool: ) :005:

Hows that "Hope and Change" working out for Ya???

Last edited by HotnCold; 07.30.2006 at 09:38 PM.

Old
  (#10)
squeeforever
RC-Monster Mod

07.30.2006, 09:56 PM

I would love to see the proto for the slipperential. One question, will it work or a G2R? I would assume it will since its made for a G2.
  Send a message via AIM to squeeforever  
Old
  (#11)
BrianG
RC-Monster Admin

07.30.2006, 10:05 PM

OK, a slipperential is a "work of art" and an "awesome thing", but that doesn't say much! I know it will be unveiled at the bash next weekend, so does that mean those who can't go are being punished? :)

And the site for Neu motors...
Old
  (#12)
Batfish
RC-Monster Aluminum

07.30.2006, 10:15 PM

Here are some pics from yesterday's fun at the track:

First - Here is a shot with the chassis extension/heatsink that Mike created for his Quark

Second - Here's an overhead view of the beautiful G-Maxx :003:

Third - Here is a shot of the truck taking off at the beginning of the straight with the 4S2P 8000 MaxAmps lipo packs.

Lastly - Airborn and flying nice and level!

Those A123Racing packs are impressive for the cost and performance.
I plan on running them, exclusively, in my vehicles at The RC-Monster Bash this coming weekend :003:

Joe

Electronics run on smoke... if you let the smoke out, they stop working.

Old
  (#13)
Gustav
RC-Monster Aluminum

07.30.2006, 10:32 PM

Looks great,looks to be a slipper shaft driving the diff with reduction to allow a small enough spur to fit between the rails,perfect solution to the restriction of the g-maxx rails.Great thinking.When can i get mine!

Last edited by Gustav; 07.30.2006 at 10:34 PM.

Old
  (#14)
neweuser
RC Monster, the Final Frontier

07.31.2006, 01:09 PM

It would be nice to see a better shot of that heat sink!!! LOL, nice truck Mike! What size of tire is that?

"if you've got something to say, say it peacefully"
  Send a message via MSN to neweuser  
Old
  (#15)
squeeforever
RC-Monster Mod

07.31.2006, 01:23 PM

NewEuser, those appear to be Bowtie MT's. I would like to see more of that slipperential.
  Send a message via AIM to squeeforever