RC-Monster Forums  
RC Monster

Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > Support Forums > General Electric

Old
  (#31)
WheelMan
Do Epic Sh!t

04.01.2013, 10:03 AM

Well I'm dumb. Not sure what I input wrong when I originally calculated what spur and pinion combo would work with this motor, trans and mounting plate, but I clearly got it wrong lol

Turns out I needed a 65T spur, not 58T because the can hits the trans before the gears can properly mesh.

65T Spur on its way! Live and learn, haha

-Travis

Adults are just kids, with money.
Common sense, is not so common.

Last edited by WheelMan; 04.01.2013 at 10:07 AM.

Old
  (#32)
WheelMan
Do Epic Sh!t

04.02.2013, 11:33 AM

Final few pieces of this monster are coming together

Onclebens custom 70mm stainless steel front center bone, and another set of his 17mm adapters

8x15x5mm Boca Bearings for the 8mm axles and 15mm knuckles

They're smaller than the 8x16x5mm bearings, but I didn't want to know what someone would charge me to open the knuckles up to 16mm, and I really wanted to run 8mm axles. So the 8x15x5mm bearings are a perfect fix, even though they are sort of hard to find, and very costly (ABEC#1, Rubber seal, 440C Stainless Steel Race, with Ceramic SI3N4 Balls)

-Travis

Last edited by WheelMan; 04.02.2013 at 12:00 PM.

Old
  (#33)
WheelMan
Do Epic Sh!t

04.02.2013, 11:34 AM

Electronics goodies! Castle Mamba XL2, USB Link Programmer, & some bullet connectors (wasn't paying attention that I needed the 8mm bullets, not the 6.5's so I need to exchange those)

The XL2 is HUGE

Hadn't really thought about it being so big until I opened it up and placed it on the chassis, lol

-Travis

Last edited by WheelMan; 04.02.2013 at 12:03 PM.

Old
  (#34)
WheelMan
Do Epic Sh!t

04.16.2013, 12:10 PM

More parts for this build

SweetStrobe braces & a Gen IV

The Gen IV all cleaned and polished up with a new, softer spring (finally get to replace the craptastic imitation bellcrank setup I had on the truck)

Got a 65T spur to replace the too small 58T I had originally (due to my incorrect calculations) so the pinion and spur actually mesh now, and the motor can doesn't hit the trans

Soldered some 8mm bullets on my 1520 so it would connect to the XL2

Due to the 1520's extra length and the lack of material in the FLM motor mount, there is some flex that made me a little uncomfortable, even though I doubt there would be a problem. But I like the belt and suspenders security, so I whipped up a support for the motor.

And mounted the XL2 to the chassis with a chunk of Lexan

The SweetStrobes were a snug fit, but they mounted right up! Even to the FLM Hybrid bulks they fit up great.

The Front brace just looks sorta funny because the FLM Hybrid bulks don't have the 3rd lower mounting hole like the GA's do

-Travis

Old
  (#35)
WheelMan
Do Epic Sh!t

04.16.2013, 12:16 PM

Got a servo too

Just need a radio & some batts and this one will be ready to rock!

Think I'm gonna go with an RCM custom battery tray as well.

-Travis

Last edited by WheelMan; 04.16.2013 at 12:17 PM.

Old
  (#36)
WheelMan
Do Epic Sh!t

04.18.2013, 03:49 PM

Threw a link together with some long rod ends and an all-thread

Looks like it comes really close to the center bone from this angle, but it really doesn't

I should have installed the servo on the other side (and would have), but the angle at which the chassis mounts the servo at, puts the servo horn so close to the servo saver, that the link would be literally about an inch long from hole to hole, and that made creating a link sort of difficult. Plus, I was guessing it would have been rather weak. So I crossed under the center dogbone from the other side, and it seems to work quite nicely.

-Travis

Old
  (#37)
WheelMan
Do Epic Sh!t

04.26.2013, 11:30 AM

Got some Racer's Edge Shock Ends, but I got the 3.0mm versions by accident

Just had to retap them to 3.5 and they were good to go though. And they fit the srping retainers very nicely.

They made the shocks a bit longer, but thats ok by me...I like my trucks to have lots of ground clearance

-Travis

Old
  (#38)
WheelMan
Do Epic Sh!t

04.30.2013, 12:26 PM

Got the ejector pins cut for this truck now as well (to replace the e-clip style Lunsford Ti versions)

The FLM Hybrid bulks already had setscrew holes for captive style hinge pins, so that made the upgrade easier

Also, got my RCM Custom Battery Tray

Looks huge I know, but its sized to hold 2 x 3S Packs

-Travis

Last edited by WheelMan; 04.30.2013 at 12:29 PM.

Old
  (#39)
WheelMan
Do Epic Sh!t

05.08.2013, 11:28 AM

Got some new cable from McMaster Carr for my Strobe limiters :D

Black Commercial Grade Nylon-coated Wire Rope, Galv, 7x7,3/64"-1/16",270# Break Strg (8923T103)

Red Commercial Grade Nylon-coated Wire Rope, Galv,7x7, 3/64"-1/16",270# Break Strg (8923T601)

Much better looking than the old bare wire that frayed at the ends. Plus its MUCH more flexible, and it still pinches into the top mounts very tightly.

I'm curious to see how well the coating on this cable holds up in the top mount...whether or not it wants to pull out on hard crashes or not. Like I said, it fits nice and tight, but we'll see.

I kind of went with the belt and suspenders protection on this truck with the 7075 Racer's Edge Shock Ends AND suspension limiters, but its going to be a basher, and I want it to have every chance of holding up. Not to mention its a little on the heavy side, so crashes are going to be extra rough. haha

-Travis

Last edited by WheelMan; 05.08.2013 at 11:31 AM.

Old
  (#40)
WheelMan
Do Epic Sh!t

06.03.2013, 10:14 AM

Well, I've been on the hunt for these for a while now, and I finally aquired a few! Piggybacks that fit the UE Supershocks, made by Progressive Suspension.

I replaced the o-ring on the little metal plugs with a bigger o-ring for a better seal, as the old ones were letting oil past, and would have made for a messy setup. They're nice and sealed up now though.

The piggybacks were used, and had some nicks and scratches on them, so I stripped the anodizing off of 4 of them to use on this truck (I thought about polishing them, but just thinking about that made me tired, lol so they stayed dull...this is my basher truck though, so they don't need to be super shiny anyways. Maybe they'll get polished someday when I'm feeling more ambitious)

I'm still looking for a few more of these piggybacks, if anyone has some they're willing to part with :) I would really like to have some black ones that are in good shape, as I would not strip the anodizing from them if they were.

-Travis

Old
  (#41)
nastety92
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

06.03.2013, 02:20 PM

Looks great keep up the good work.

How close is this truck to running now?

Tamiya TRF801Xt-e

Old
  (#42)
WheelMan
Do Epic Sh!t

06.03.2013, 02:59 PM

All it needs are some 3S Lipo packs in that tray! And I need to mount the receiver and hook that all up too, of course.

Unfortunately I haven't jumped on the Lipo train yet. I need an entire setup...lipos, charger, power supply, etc.

That stuff is coming soon though! That's what I'm currently working on.

-Travis

Last edited by WheelMan; 06.03.2013 at 03:05 PM.

Old
  (#43)
WheelMan
Do Epic Sh!t

06.03.2013, 03:08 PM

Old
  (#44)
Klausen
Brushless G-maxx

06.04.2013, 01:49 PM

Great looking truck Travis.

One question though. Howcome the shocks are on the inside of the towers.

Old
  (#45)
WheelMan
Do Epic Sh!t

06.04.2013, 03:34 PM

I was wondering if someone would point that out. Do you think it will effect the performance of the suspension? It really shouldn't make a difference should it?

Reason the shocks are on the inside is because I wasn't paying attention when I mounted the shock towers. Because of the design of UE's towers, with the little body post retainers, the body posts are off center on the towers. And I went and drilled my body to fit to the towers the way they are mounted right now, with the body posts offset to the outside. Also, unfortunately, the piggybacks I just installed on my shocks interfere with the screws holding the body post retainers onto the towers if I install the shocks on the same side as the retainers (the outside). In other words, I can't mount the shocks on the same side of the towers as the body post reatainers, because the shocks will interfere with them. So, I had to move the shocks to the opposite side of the body post reatainers on the towers, giving enough room for the piggybacks to mount up. Not sure if that makes sense? Hopefully you followed what I was saying there? lol

If I hadn't drilled the body out, I could have just flipped the towers around, and put the body posts towards the inside, and mounted the shocks on the outside (how I'd much rather have it), exactly opposite of how it is now. But I don't want to have two sets of holes in my shell...so this is how its set up now.

-Travis

Last edited by WheelMan; 06.04.2013 at 03:38 PM.