RC-Monster Forums  
RC Monster

Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > Questions and Answers > General Questions

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Seriously BAD Losi Micro-T Range Problems...
Old
  (#1)
Chadworkz
UE Supermaxx Addict!

Question Seriously BAD Losi Micro-T Range Problems... - 02.04.2010, 11:07 PM

I couldn't find a place for this to fit, so I figured "General Questions" was the best spot for it...

First off, everything I own is 2.4gHz, either Spektrum or Losi (which are both manufactured by the same company, and distributed by Horizon Hobbies), so I am pretty spoiled when it comes to radios, especially the excellent range I get and complete lack of interference and glitching.

Well, today I got a brand-new Losi Micro-T, which uses a Losi 27mHz AM radio, and the range is the worst I have ever seen in my life...it is literally only 7 feet! I can drive the car away from me, and when it reaches about 6 feet, it starts glitching and then stops working completely about a foot later...I have to walk toward the car about 2 or 3 feet before it will respond again.

At first I thought it might be the channel/crystals, so I switched out the crystals, but the problem remained, even after 4 crystal changes. Is the Losi AM radio this bad, or do I just have a bad Tx or Rx?

The good thing is that I am going to convert this Micro-T to brushless pretty soon, which requires a new Rx (the stock Rx is built into the ESC), but I would at least like to run the truck until all of the new Brushless/2.4gHz equipment gets here...do any of you have any ideas?

My next step is to try a completely different 27mHz AM Tx and see what that does (I have a Traxxas TQ3 Tx), but any input you guys may have will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance...

-Chad
PM ME IF YOU HAVE THE BELOW:
VBS, CVDs, GM Single-Speed, OTB, Ultramaxxed, Super6, Strobe, Sprong, CNR Brake, UE Hex, DUH Towers, Predator, Blackbird, GA Blue Screws, HCR F/R Skids & Mutant
  Send a message via AIM to Chadworkz  
Old
  (#2)
fastbaja5b
RC-Monster Aluminum

02.04.2010, 11:31 PM

the Micro T is known for pulling the rx wire off the board and soldering it back on is a royal pita! I'd say the antenna wire has had that happen and thats the reason for your range issue. Had a few Micro T's in my time, every one of them did it, so I have given up on them.

Say Less, Do More.

Old
  (#3)
Chadworkz
UE Supermaxx Addict!

02.04.2010, 11:34 PM

Well, this one will be 2.4gHz and Brushless in a couple weeks, so it's all good.

Thank you, though, for you fast answer...I will open the Rx and see if the wire has come loose from the board, and resolder it on if need be. Thanks again!

-Chad
VBS, CVDs, GM Single-Speed, OTB, Ultramaxxed, Super6, Strobe, Sprong, CNR Brake, UE Hex, DUH Towers, Predator, Blackbird, GA Blue Screws, HCR F/R Skids & Mutant
Old
  (#4)
Chadworkz
UE Supermaxx Addict!

02.04.2010, 11:46 PM

Edit: I know one thing for sure, the charger that comes with the Micro-T sucks! I charged the battery (1/3AAA 4-cell 4.8v 150mAh) with my MRC SuperBrain 989 charger and run-time increased 4x while speed increased 2x!

-Chad

Tags
glitching, interference, losi, micro, micro-t