RC-Monster Forums  
RC Monster

Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > Support Forums > Project "X"

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Converting a Nitro GS Storm 1/8 Buggy to a BL Touring Car...
Old
  (#1)
Chadworkz
UE Supermaxx Addict!

Exclamation Converting a Nitro GS Storm 1/8 Buggy to a BL Touring Car... - 05.09.2009, 02:37 PM

Ok guys, I have been thinking about getting a touring car for a while now, but never could decide if I wanted a 1/10 or a 1/8...I like all of the "pretty" carbon-fiber and the design of all the 1/10 cars, but I also like the size and durability of the 1/8 cars, so I chose to go with a 1/8 touring car.

Well, while looking around to see what was available, like the Ofnas and Kyoshos, I had what felt like an idea...since all of the 1/8 touring cars I saw were nitro, I knew that I would have to convert whatever I got to brushless, and then it hit me...I already have a very nice GS Storm 1/8 Buggy that I am converting to brushless! Sweet!

Have any of you guys ever converted a 1/8 buggy into a touring car, especially one that doesn't already have a touring car brother (Ofna DM, etc.)?

I am thinking that all I need are road tires, a car body, and to setup the suspension to sit and perform like a road car...does that sound about right? I think I will get another set of matching front shocks for the rear, and then build a new rear shock tower, since I am custom-making carbon-fiber shocks towers, steering plate, radio tray, and center-diff top-plate anyway.

Do any of you guys have any idea about what body might fit the GS Storm (original RTR one) wheelbase and width? I no longer have an LHS, so I can't just go test-fit bodies anymore, so I am going to measure the outside track-width and wheelbase and try to find a body that matches. If any of you think you know of a body that might fit, I would greatly appreciate a link or brand & model.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

-Chad
PM ME IF YOU HAVE THE BELOW:
VBS, CVDs, GM Single-Speed, OTB, Ultramaxxed, Super6, Strobe, Sprong, CNR Brake, UE Hex, DUH Towers, Predator, Blackbird, GA Blue Screws, HCR F/R Skids & Mutant
  Send a message via AIM to Chadworkz  
Old
  (#2)
3.3maxx

05.11.2009, 08:09 PM

www.gsracing.com.tw/download.aspx

Old
  (#3)
Chadworkz
UE Supermaxx Addict!

05.11.2009, 08:38 PM

How does that link help me? There are no 1/8 on-road bodies there, or any other parts that I need. I mean, thanks for trying to help, but nothing there helps me at all.

-Chad
VBS, CVDs, GM Single-Speed, OTB, Ultramaxxed, Super6, Strobe, Sprong, CNR Brake, UE Hex, DUH Towers, Predator, Blackbird, GA Blue Screws, HCR F/R Skids & Mutant
Old
  (#4)
nativepaul
RC-Monster Aluminum

06.02.2009, 04:18 AM

I converted my Hot bodies Lightning pro 2 buggy, with lowered ride hight, thicker fluid in my centre and rear diffs, Medial Pro tarmac II tyres (I've used a fair few on road tyres some come close but nothing beats the Tarmac II (whatever you go for just don't be tempted to try road rages)), and I fitted parma long body posts that attach to my shock towers to hold the body in position. They have a whole class for these in Europe they call it rallygame they race on asphalt or mixed aspalt/dirt tracks with no jumps, there are a fair few rallygame bodies that are all semiscale road or rally car bodies with slightly stretched width or big arches to fit 1/8th buggy chassis I got a ford focus from Mantua models its an Italian company but I gave the UK distributers link so you can understand any writing, there is another european company doing rallygame shells as well but I cant remember the name, Kyosho also do some for the GT which is regular buggy size, a much more limited range and more expensive but might be more available in America, some look a bit funny being wider than they should be but the celica and maclaren both look great and the surprise for me was the Twingo, that looks absolutely fabulous because its such a short city car they didn't have to stretch it at all and just added some small arches, it looked cute and mean at the same time and with an added comedy element, i almost bought it but at the time couldnt think how to mount it as the body posts needed at the rear would be enormous, but afterward I thought of having horizontal rear posts sticking through the rear bumper and regular post at the front, it would probably be more secure than the long posts I used on my focus .

While were on the subject does anyone know where to get door mirrors from? The Mantua bodies come with wings and stickers but no window films or door mirrors, it's easy enough to mask the windows but a car this size does look a bit funny without mirrors, I may have to resort to carving some from balsa.

Hot Bodies Lightning 2 Pro carbon, Mega 22/30/2, MMM, 4s3-5Ah.
Tamiya F201 carbon, Mamba 7700, MM, 2s A123 2.3ah.
Xray XT8, 1518, MMM, 4s5Ah.
Lots of boats.
fastelectrics.net

Old
  (#5)
Chadworkz
UE Supermaxx Addict!

06.02.2009, 11:18 AM

Thank you so much, man, that helped a ton!!! I am going to check out those bodies and see if find something I like! Thanks again, I really appreciate it! :)

-Chad
Old
  (#6)
BADHIGEEN

11.26.2010, 06:55 PM

hi guys I was wondering what the pitch for the pinion gear you would use to go brushless? I have a storm but cant find the pinion I need.

Old
  (#7)
3.3maxx

11.30.2010, 04:09 PM

mod1

Old
  (#8)
simplechamp
RC-Monster Titanium

11.30.2010, 08:22 PM

Yes, Mod 1, 5mm bore, they are available in the RCM store.

You will need to use the gearing calculator (stickied at the top of the "brushless" section) to determine what tooth count to use.

Caster Fusion F8T - Serpent 811Be - Jammin X2 carbon e-GT conversion - Axial SCX10

Old
  (#9)
BADHIGEEN

12.01.2010, 10:41 AM

thanks so much

Tags
1/8, brushless, gs racing, gs storm, touring car conversion