RC Monster

Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > RC-Monster Area > General Discussion

Anyone available for some lipo work?
Old
  (#1)
kulangflow
Never Fast Enough

Anyone available for some lipo work? - 10.18.2011, 02:12 PM

I have soldered several NiMH, NiCd, and LiPO batteries over the years, but I never seem to have much luck with the Aluminum tabs on NeuEnergy packs. I've tried using the recommended solder and paste for Aluminum, but apparently I'm just not very good at it.

Anyway, I am looking for someone willing to convert my 4s NeuEnergy 5500 pack into two 2s 5500 packs.

I will provide the new 2s balance taps, new pack wires, connectors, and shrink wrap. You'll pretty much just need to do the actual soldering if you happen to have the knack for it.

I'll pay for shipping each way and just let me know how much you need for your labor.

Let me know if you're interested.

Thanks!

Brian

He's down by the river ... walking on water.

Old
  (#2)
scarletboa
RC-Monster Aluminum

10.18.2011, 02:25 PM

well, it sounds like you have the skills to solder the packs yourself. you might just need a different soldering iron/gun.
i have found that in my experience, it is easier to solder on aluminum with a gun style soldering rig. all you have to do is hold the trigger down and preheat the tip until it starts turning red, holds it a few seconds longer, and then solder the joint. aluminum soldering requires a higher temperature, which can be difficult with a iron/pen style soldering rig. i personally use a radioshack 230/150w gun. i was advised against it, but i prefer it over my weller 80w iron. with the ability to preheat the gun as much as i need, i can solder larger joints faster and with much more ease.

also, make sure you have aluminum specific solder and zinc flux. if you do not properly flux the joint and use the appropriate solder, it will not stick. instead of a light application of flux usually used for wires, etc, aluminum tabs need a good brushing with flux. my advice would be to take a toothbrush and lightly scrub the flux onto the tabs before joining them.

They say a good mechanic only needs 2 tools - WD40 & Duct tape. If it moves, and its not supposed to, duct tape. If it doesn't move, and its supposed to, WD40.

Last edited by scarletboa; 10.18.2011 at 02:30 PM.

Old
  (#3)
E-Revonut
RC-Monster RC8T

10.18.2011, 04:28 PM

I can do it, have worked on a few Neu packs. However if you already have the stuff why not just do it yourself and save the money. PM me if you decide to have someone do it and want me to do it.

RC-Monster RC8T 1515 2.5D/MMM/5s RC-M 4500mah
SC10 MMPro 13.5T 2s NeuEnery 5000mah
RC18T Mamba 25/5400kv 2s lipo + 6s NiMh

Old
  (#4)
kulangflow
Never Fast Enough

10.18.2011, 04:36 PM

I've tried and failed several times with other aluminum tab cells, but I may give it another go with a bigger iron like scarletboa suggested. I've been using a Hakko 936, but I'll try my Dad's gun-style big iron.

I ended up tossing the aluminum solder and zinc flux. Where do you guys purchase yours?

Thanks for the advice, btw.

He's down by the river ... walking on water.

Old
  (#5)
E-Revonut
RC-Monster RC8T

10.18.2011, 11:32 PM

I honestly can't remember where I bought it, I looked through Linc's thread on lipo repairs and he had a link where he was getting it from

RC-Monster RC8T 1515 2.5D/MMM/5s RC-M 4500mah
SC10 MMPro 13.5T 2s NeuEnery 5000mah
RC18T Mamba 25/5400kv 2s lipo + 6s NiMh

Old
  (#6)
brushlessboy16
Im not dark, Im over ripened! xD

10.19.2011, 09:50 AM

Cheapbatterypacks.com

:) zinc flux and aluminum solder

Benjamin White
R/c Monster Team Driver
Jq the car, LST, Sportweks turmoil pro
Unconventional Techniques, Superior Results
  Send a message via Yahoo to brushlessboy16 Send a message via AIM to brushlessboy16 Send a message via MSN to brushlessboy16 Send a message via Skype™ to brushlessboy16