Always Dreamin

04.10.2009, 11:40 PM

Pictures would help!

Old
  (#17)
scarletboa
RC-Monster Aluminum

05.07.2009, 08:10 PM

i got my zippy 5000mah 25c 3s packs today. i tried to fit them in my rustler and they were too wide. as far as mounting them on my savage, i'm thinking about getting an aluminum plate that is a little wider and longer than the batteries and drilling slots for velcro straps.

i also got the motor mount. Dan messed up. instead of drilling one side for 25mm bolt pattern motors like the feigao and one side for 30mm bolt pattern KB motors, he drilled both sides 30mm. it's better than both sides being 25mm as i already have the KB motor.

They say a good mechanic only needs 2 tools - WD40 & Duct tape. If it moves, and its not supposed to, duct tape. If it doesn't move, and its supposed to, WD40.

Old
  (#18)
scarletboa
RC-Monster Aluminum

05.15.2009, 11:17 AM

i took the front endbell off the motor and found a few small pieces of magnet on the front of the rotor. i was unable to take the rotor out for some reason. i put the endbell back on and hooked my vxl esc and a 6 cell nimh battery and spun the motor unloaded for about 5 mins. the motor's temp had raised maybe 5 degrees and it ran smoothly so i'm not too worried.

They say a good mechanic only needs 2 tools - WD40 & Duct tape. If it moves, and its not supposed to, duct tape. If it doesn't move, and its supposed to, WD40.

Last edited by scarletboa; 05.15.2009 at 11:19 AM.

Old
  (#19)
scarletboa
RC-Monster Aluminum

05.24.2009, 03:33 AM

i got a rough prototype running today. i mounted the motor mount, the $30 esc i got from hobbycity, 2 25c 5000mah 3s lipos in series, and the KB motor. i plugged it in and i got no response. i then remembered that the esc has no BEC, so i threw my orion 1600mah rx pack in and off it went. after a solid 10 mins of speed runs with a top speed of about 50-55mph, the motor was at 170F, the esc was at 160F, and the batts were at 95F. the ambient tempurature was 90F.

i never did achieve top speed because the stock savage x tires balloon a lot and the truck was too unstable. i actually flipped the truck over with the esc sticking out of the top of the plastic roll cage and i already got a nice dose of road rash on it.

the charger i am using is the turnigy accucell-6. it works great. very accurate.

i did not lock the gears. it was able to shift and so far, there are no problems with the tranny. i will post pics and possibly a video tomorrow or monday.

Old
  (#20)
naynay12
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

05.24.2009, 05:03 AM

Nice,mind showing the link for the esc you got?
Also what is the gearing?

Old
  (#21)
lincpimp
Check out my huge box!

05.24.2009, 08:53 AM

Sounds like your gearing is a bit high with those temps. Drop a few teeth on the pinion.

Old
  (#22)
nitrostarter
RC-Monster Brushless

05.24.2009, 09:12 AM

Nah, KB motor explains the temps. They like to run hot.

N. Rustler conversion
  Send a message via AIM to nitrostarter  
Old
  (#23)
lincpimp
Check out my huge box!

05.24.2009, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrostarter View Post
Nah, KB motor explains the temps. They like to run hot.
He has the kb45 8xl... I am surprised it is running that warm. Maybe little to no airflow? I had the l can models in my gtp and they never got much over 140f...

Old
  (#24)
naynay12
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

05.25.2009, 05:13 AM

Ok found out that your probably using the supersimple 100a esc...Its says max current
is 120a,though those 3s 5000mah 25c lipo deliver 35c bursts,so thats comes to 175A?Wouldn't that means its to much load?Could someone please explain,as i may use this esc for my conversion.

Old
  (#25)
BL_maxx

05.25.2009, 02:36 PM

they can deliver a max of 175 amp burst but the motor will never draw that much current. probalby draws no more than 100amps at the most. the motor only ask for what it needs and the esc gives it. only time you get high am spikes is under initial acceleration and i think when you stab the throttle but once you get moving the amps drop down a bit just to keep the truck moving. probably can have some one else explain better.

Old
  (#26)
Gdot
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

05.25.2009, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BL_maxx View Post
they can deliver a max of 175 amp burst but the motor will never draw that much current. probalby draws no more than 100amps at the most. the motor only ask for what it needs and the esc gives it. only time you get high am spikes is under initial acceleration and i think when you stab the throttle but once you get moving the amps drop down a bit just to keep the truck moving. probably can have some one else explain better.
nothing wrong with that explanation..
I'd certainly get batts that sustain 120 amps, with a good surge like 175. It's a fair rating for a savage combo

Old
  (#27)
scarletboa
RC-Monster Aluminum

05.26.2009, 03:01 AM

yes, it is the supersimple esc.

i loosened up my gear mesh and it ran consistantly at 145F. half throttle will violently flip the truck over. if it had a wheely bar, it would do standing backflips at about half throttle. it has more balls than the flux. the top speed is not as high though. i left it 2 speed for now. i ran for almost 45mins with the 3s lipos in parellel today. top speed was about 15mph because it couldn't shift into 2nd gear.

i am glad i bought a 1400kv KB45-12l motor when i ordered the esc and charger. the 1400kv motor is smaller and will hopefully be more controllable. runtimes with that motor should also be pretty good.

Old
  (#28)
naynay12
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

05.26.2009, 05:24 AM

Ok thanks for the explanation,i dont want to highjack your thread thoughim going to go for the fiegao XL with the supersimple esc..
Scarletboa what is your gearing?Im still deciding on my gearing as well as which size feigao to use.
A vid would be great!

Old
  (#29)
scarletboa
RC-Monster Aluminum

05.27.2009, 12:00 AM

my gearing is 18/47. it is geared pretty low in first gear. when it hits 2nd gear, it gains a bunch of speed. if you do use a feigao xl, i recommend the 10xl on 6s lipo. it will run cool compared to the 8xl or 9xl and it will draw very little amps. i think the 10xl will only pull about 63amps max. if i were you, i'd get the feigao 10xl or 11xl (58amp max) and 2 3s 3000mah 20c lipos from hobbycity. the batteries only cost $25 each. or, you could get just 1 6s 3000mah 3s 20c pack. for that setup, you would only need the 70 amp supersimple esc.

for the feigao motors, leave it 2 speed and use a 14-16tooth pinion with a 47tooth spur.

Old
  (#30)
naynay12
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

05.27.2009, 06:25 AM

Ok great,i will probably go with the 10XL,i was originally thinking of using the Zippy 3s 5000mah 25c packs,will their be much difference in preformance/heating over the 3000mah 20c packs?
Also for gearing,i realise you recomend around 15t pinion,though the CC2200 has a hgigher KV rating,and is geared higher(25t on 6s),are you sure i will get enough top end with a 15t Pinion?

Tags
brushless, conversion, ezrun, lipo, savage