RC-Monster Forums  
RC Monster

Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > Support Forums > Brushless

My Baja 5B-E!
Old
  (#1)
Cody.McP

My Baja 5B-E! - 01.12.2011, 08:37 PM

Hey everyone, so I've had my hands on the New Mamba XL system for a couple of weeks now but I was just recently able to get my Baja put together and test run it. I still have yet to take it out to bash it (waiting on more lipos in the mail) but I figured I would post a thread since some people seemed interested. It's mostly stock except for the Scorpion unlimited Shorty Chassis, Mike's Conversion kit, and I'm running Proline Bowties as well as the Mamba XL system on 8s 4200mah Hyperions. Anyways, here are the pics! I had to fab up an adapter plate for the motor since it uses smaller screw spacing, but other than that everything went together without a hitch! How you see it now is how I'm going to run it, I'm not a fan of the Buggy body, I kinda like the "rover" look as I call it. I may go for the proline desert rat truck conversion body (as it is a little bit short for the regular chassis IMO) in the future, but this is it for now. Anyways, here are the pics!

More to come after my batteries come in the mail!

Old
  (#2)
lincpimp
Check out my huge box!

01.12.2011, 10:07 PM

That thing will be a beast, that short and with that much power!!!! Looks like fun, I have to see a vid of it in action!

Also, what is the wheelbase?

Last edited by lincpimp; 01.12.2011 at 10:08 PM.

Old
  (#3)
Cody.McP

01.12.2011, 10:20 PM

It's about 20.5 inches, I think it's only 1 inch or so shorter than stock? There's still a good 2 inches that can be chopped off with a stock chassis, which I might do depending on how I like this setup.

And I'll try to get some video of it running once I get my batteries and take it out to my bash spot around here. Should be early next week.

Old
  (#4)
lincpimp
Check out my huge box!

01.12.2011, 10:50 PM

Hmm, well the proline desert rat conversion body looks just right with a wheelbase of 21.5". I am currently making a chassis for a savage so I can use the PL body on it.

I will wait to see how your baja does.

Old
  (#5)
OZ-RUSTLER
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

01.13.2011, 01:43 AM

Very Nice.

How did you mount the spur cover?

Old
  (#6)
josh9mille
RC-Monster Aluminum

01.13.2011, 02:08 AM

Just wondering why the motor mounting bolt holes didnt match up with Mikes conversion kit? Didnt he build it around the Castle motor?

Built Ford tough, with Chevy stuff.

Old
  (#7)
Cody.McP

01.13.2011, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh9mille View Post
Just wondering why the motor mounting bolt holes didnt match up with Mikes conversion kit? Didnt he build it around the Castle motor?
He actually built it around the Neu 22 series motors which use a larger screw spacing for mounting up the motors as they are a little bit bigger in general so I had to make an adapter plate. Mike is actually making/already made an adapter of his own and I'm sure he will be selling those soon.

And as far as the spur gear cover, I milled out my own. It was actually a motor mount at first but it was too flimsy to actually do anything so I just took out the motor mounting holes and just left the holes to mount the spur gear cover. You probably won't need one with the body on but without anything protecting that area I wanted to be safe. I'll get a picture for you tomorrow.

Old
  (#8)
Cody.McP

01.13.2011, 08:30 PM

I wasn't able to get any video, but I took it out this afternoon and man is this thing fun! On only 6s it is faster than a Stock Baja by far, I'd say probably 40MPH as a guess, but it gets there quick. 2WD in such a big/heavy car is definitely interesting, kind of have to steer with the back wheels sometimes. I am very satisfied with this buggy so far and can't wait to get some 8s action going on. The shorter wheelbase is definitely a plus for me, really helps it turn and puts the weight a little farther forward as well which helps cause this thing is very back end heavy. Sorry i couldn't get a video, but I will try to get one when I get a chance to take it out to my normal bashing spot on 8s early next week.

Old
  (#9)
DrKnow65
RC-Monster Aluminum

01.13.2011, 08:38 PM

Now that's an awsome ride! everything looks scaled right, tires, frame, motor, XL.

What connectors are those on the XL? And how do you like your CNC so far?

If I could only draw what I see in my head, then afford to build it, and finaly get to play with it...

Old
  (#10)
Cody.McP

01.13.2011, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrKnow65 View Post
Now that's an awsome ride! everything looks scaled right, tires, frame, motor, XL.

What connectors are those on the XL? And how do you like your CNC so far?
I'm using the included bullets for the motor - ESC connection, and deans for the battery - ESC connection. As far as my CNC goes, if you're referring to my new Haas I'm not actually going to be getting it until next week, I had to reschedule due to various reasons but it won't be up and running for at least a couple weeks. I have a little Taig desktop CNC mill here though and it's working alright for me right now, it's just very limited in it's capabilities.

Old
  (#11)
DrKnow65
RC-Monster Aluminum

01.13.2011, 09:09 PM

I suspected those were deans, but I didn't vision them fitting the 8 gauge wires as well as they do.

Sorry you've got to wait on your Haas, I'm sure you'll be making all kinds of fun stuff when it's up and running :-)

If I could only draw what I see in my head, then afford to build it, and finaly get to play with it...

Old
  (#12)
_paralyzed_
working on a brushless for my wheelchair.....

01.27.2011, 12:51 AM

why the zipties on the esc? I thought there were holes made for the xl screw pattern?

Also- Beautiful man!!!

It's "Dr. _paralyzed_" actually. Not like with a PhD, but Doctor like in Dr. Pepper.