Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > Support Forums > T/E Maxx Parts

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
EMaxx chassis
Old
  (#1)
RC-Monster Mike
Site Owner

EMaxx chassis - 01.31.2015, 03:22 PM

I am nearly complete with the design phase of a new EMaxx chassis(1 of possibly 2). The goal of this particular chassis project is to upgrade the looks, durability, handling, and versatility, while retaining the stock size and mostly stock components(including chassis braces). This strategy was chosen for this particular chassis to keep costs relatively low, while providing a high value. It will look and perform like a high dollar upgrade without breaking the bank.

I won't delve too deep into the specifics, as I hope to get a prototype or to cut this week. I am, however, undecided on the battery trays at the moment and any feedback would be valued. Aside from positioning the trays slightly above the bottom of the stock chassis brace to maintain ground clearance, I haven't decided exactly how to finish it out. Laying the packs flat results in lower Cg and likely better protection from flying debris(front wheel roost mostly), while placing the packs on edge generally allows a tighter overall package, which tends to improve transitional handling(direction changes) at the expense of stability. Many folks may not readily know or realize the difference in a typical bash session, but I am curious to know the general consensus/preference?

Hopefully the chassis kit will be a no-brainer to install, but if instructions are necessary, i may be looking to trade a chassis kit for a well-written and easy-to-understand instruction guide.

Old
  (#2)
Kcaz25
RC-Monster Titanium

02.01.2015, 12:13 AM

I am pretty excited to see another chassis! I love the maxx.

I wish someone would make a titanium chassis plate with front kick up. Just the plate. We provide the rest- to keep your costs down. Make it compatible with an easily attainable CD, you don't even have to provide a battery tray, but you could. I love your trays I have two of them.

Thanks, this is just a suggestion.

-Zach

Old
  (#3)
RC-Monster Mike
Site Owner

02.02.2015, 06:38 PM

Thanks for the comments, Zach. Titanium might be a little exotic for the masses, though. I do have intentions of making an extended truggy style Maxx chassis with race-inspired features in addition to the one mentioned in this thread, but 1st I want to create a do-all platform that appeals to a broader audience. I do plan on including the battery trays , and have largely committed to a design strategy that I think will satisfy most. :-)

Old
  (#4)
ta_man
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

02.02.2015, 08:17 PM

Just one comment on battery trays: Please make them so they can accomodate packs that have square corners (some people do use hard case packs).

I had to pass up buying one of your trays because the one I already had would not accomodate VANT or SMC Lipos because your tray has rounded corners and those pack have square corners.

Old
  (#5)
RC-Monster Mike
Site Owner

02.02.2015, 08:35 PM

Square inside corners are simply not possible to machine - I will look at tightening the radius of the inside corners with this comment in mind, though. The trays will be plenty big enough to handle the typical hard case Lipo without needing to stuff it into the corner tightly.

Old
  (#6)
ta_man
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

02.04.2015, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC-Monster Mike View Post
Square inside corners are simply not possible to machine - I will look at tightening the radius of the inside corners with this comment in mind, though. The trays will be plenty big enough to handle the typical hard case Lipo without needing to stuff it into the corner tightly.
You can get most of the effect of square inside corners by moving the cutter a little into the corner on the lengthwise traverse, and backing it out again before the traverse across the width.

Is this new chassis going to have the old E-Maxx layout with the trans in the center or the new E-Maxx layout with the trans up front?

Old
  (#7)
RC-Monster Mike
Site Owner

02.04.2015, 03:06 PM

True, and I use the described technique frequently, but there is always a trade-off. The round corner is simply relocated, as it can't be avoided. Cutting into the walls of the tray, particularly at the corners, drastically reduces strength where it is needed most. The trays for this chassis are quite long, so I don't anticipate fitment issues for the vast majority.

The current chassis components, transmission and layout will be incorporated in the design - no intention to make a "new" chassis for the old truck(though having backwards compatibility would be easy enough).

Old
  (#8)
KiKiMaX
RC-Monster Stock

02.05.2015, 12:21 PM

Hey,

Great news Mike ! I can't wait to have more info.
If you can add the clerance for your universal mount it will be great. ;)

My futur project :D

Old
  (#9)
RC-Monster Mike
Site Owner

02.05.2015, 02:38 PM

The Universal mount will fit - I will make sure of that. I am considering making an updated version of my original Slipperential transmission(originally built for G2 Gorilla chassis) as well(possibly fully enclosed) - maybe have it bolt in using the stock tranny holes for maximum compatibility. First, I must make the chassis. :-)

Omg
Old
  (#10)
Kigne
RC-Monster Stock

Omg - 02.06.2015, 01:14 PM

A racing e-maxx chassis?
OK...one for me plz
already shipped?

Kigne

Old
  (#11)
mothman
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

02.22.2015, 12:43 AM

Any updates Mike? :)
  Send a message via Yahoo to mothman Send a message via AIM to mothman Send a message via MSN to mothman  
Old
  (#12)
RC-Monster Mike
Site Owner

02.22.2015, 04:48 PM

Very close - tweaking details. :-)

quick pics - not done yet, but getting close
Old
  (#13)
RC-Monster Mike
Site Owner

quick pics - not done yet, but getting close - 03.01.2015, 10:44 PM

Just a couple mock assembly pictures - still have spacers, bushings, type stuff to make, along with tweaks and enhancements, but you can get an idea what it will look like. The prototype is .19" thick, but final may change. I do like this thickness, as it balances durability and weight rather nicely.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vmaxx side.jpg
Views:	634
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	10794   Click image for larger version

Name:	vmaxx top.jpg
Views:	633
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	10795  

Last edited by RC-Monster Mike; 03.01.2015 at 10:49 PM.

Old
  (#14)
nitrostarter
RC-Monster Brushless

03.02.2015, 08:28 AM

Underneath pic? This just may spark me into another Emaxx.

N. Rustler conversion
  Send a message via AIM to nitrostarter  
Old
  (#15)
RC-Monster Mike
Site Owner

03.02.2015, 10:29 PM

I will post pics from all angles once I have everything finalized. :-)