RC Monster

Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > Support Forums > T/E Maxx Parts

Building an emaxx.... It's been a while
Old
  (#1)
jhautz
RC-Monster Mod

Building an emaxx.... It's been a while - 08.19.2015, 10:59 PM

So I decided I am building an emaxx to do some park running with my nephew and his new stock brushed emaxx. Nothing extreme. Just some easy 4s bashing on a mild setup. Probably a 1900kv buggy motor I have sitting arround here. So I am thinking I want to keep it kinda light.

I'm thinking I am going with a couple 2s 5600 packs I have, a 1900 tekin buggy motor I have, the mamba monster x, and a radiopost red servo I also have sitting here. The rcm chassis with 35mm extention, slipperential mounted in the rcm universal mount, rpm arms, badlands and proline wheels.

Now my question is with this fairly lightweight and mild setup I don't think the stock diffs in the aluminum 1 piece bulk will be a problem, but I was thinking I would also just use the stock plastic drive shafts. It's been quite a while since I messed with the traxxas stuff so I dont remember how durable the stock driveshafts were. What is the opinion on how they will hold up? I don't mind replacing them occasionally when they start to stretch at the joints. I remember them doing this in an old revo I had. A set of 4 from the eBay chop shops aren't too expensive.

I could spring for the traxxas cvd shafts at the wheels, but in the center I really don't feel like figuring out a custom bone setup. I was planning to just take some of the long stock plastic shafts and cut them to length to fit the custom size of the center drive with the 35mm extention and the center diff setup. So I guess I'm just looking for opioins on if the plastic shafts will hold up or if I should suck it up and figure out something more robust.

I can't decide if its more fun
to make it...
or break it...

Silent...But Deadly

Old
  (#2)
nitrostarter
RC-Monster Brushless

08.20.2015, 12:56 AM

4s, a 1900kv buggy motor, and badlands you could probably go with RPM bulls and keep the stock diffs and save the weight. That slipperential should help preserve the diffs as well.

The newer maxx and Summit style driveshafts are thicker and have better joints than the old school Maxx driveshafts. They do hold up to the power better so you could like get away with these without issue. A set of Traxxas CVDs would pretty much solidify the driveshafts and add 0 to little weight tho.
Centers should be fine with stocks.

N. Rustler conversion
  Send a message via AIM to nitrostarter  
Old
  (#3)
jhautz
RC-Monster Mod

08.20.2015, 09:17 PM

Thanks for the input. I think I am going to stick with the combo bulks. In my experience the aluminum diff case really made the stock diffs alot more durable and that was really the primary reason for going with the aluminum combo bulks.

I was thinking that the plastic drive shafts woukd be strong enough since way back when I did a revo conversion the plastic shafts actually held up better than most of the steel CVDs I tried going to the wheels. Over time they did start to stretch and twist at the joints, but was also running a 6s setup. When they started to get loose I just replaced them. But back then I did have steel dog bones in the center. The plastic center shafts was what I was mostly wondering about.

I can't decide if its more fun
to make it...
or break it...

Silent...But Deadly

Old
  (#4)
RC-Monster Mike
Site Owner

08.20.2015, 11:14 PM

Keep the plastic shafts - will save the diffs. Keep a few spares for the occasional breakage and have a blast!

Old
  (#5)
Arct1k
RC-Monster Mod

08.21.2015, 12:07 AM

Personally. Centers I would go steel and out drives plastic.

Couldn't stand to see plastic in the middle of the chassis ��