Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
FLM Emaxx Install
Old
  (#1)
Emaxx Derek
RC-Monster Stock

FLM Emaxx Install - 01.11.2013, 01:54 AM

Hi all

First post...long time watcher and have purchased many RCM products and they are all great!!

I just got slipperential yesterday and assembled and went to install in FLM extended chassis. Two issues...One there are two mounts...one that mounts to the motor and the other (hour glass shaped). They look like they both bolt to the skid plate under the old transmission but the front one (hour glass one) doesn't contact the plate...what are people using to shim?

The other issue is that the spur is too big and hits the chassis braces. I'm almost certain I got a 58t spur gear and a 12t pinon. Is there trimming that's supposed to be done on the FLM chassis?

Also, I just realized that my axles are too short to connect to the slipperential. I have the traxxas (chrome colored ones) so, I guess I need new axles....suggestions? Anyone know sizes I need or does that depend on how far either forward or backward I mount the slipperential?

Thank you!!
Derek

Old
  (#2)
suicideneil
They've been naughty boys, havent they Mr. Flibble

01.11.2013, 12:25 PM

Firstly, the hour-glass shaped piece is not symmetrical top to bottom- it is meant to go a certain way up, so that there is no gap underneath it ( long side on the bottom ). This picture shows the issue:

Make sure you are installing that piece ( top right ) the correct way up.

As for spur gears, you will either need to notch the chassis / braces to fit the 58t spur, or you will need to switch to smaller MOD1.0 gears which are more common with this set up ( same as most 1/8 buggies and truggies use on their centre diff units ). 48T tends to be about as large as you can fit, though more like ~44-46T maybe needed.

For centre drive shafts, it depends exactly on how you position the CD unit- most guys cannibalize shafts / dog bones & drive cups from other models which are the needed length. I'd look at 1/8 buggies & truggies, and most MTs like the savage and LST etc too- they tend to list the shaft lengths ( pin to pin, or end to end, easy enough to work out what lengths you need once you position for CD unit ).

There are several threads around ( search 'emaxx slipperential' or 'emaxx center diff' ) though details about dog bones used is sketchy- Mike can custom make them to order ( or used to ), or you can go with slider shafts made from stock plastic shafts with an extra yolk on one end.

As the item description says though, it does require some DIY so there won't be an out-of-the-box solution to mounting & shafts etc...
  Send a message via MSN to suicideneil  
Old
  (#3)
Emaxx Derek
RC-Monster Stock

01.11.2013, 12:44 PM

Thank you for your response. I emailed Mike and asked him about the drive shafts. I will in the mean time look into your suggestions.

I'm cool with the DIY part of it all....I seem to work on my MT more than run it anyway :) Labor of love....

Thank you for the information about the non-symetrical part...I'll flip it around tonight and see how it fits.

I went with the 58t spur and 12t pinon because I read that is what Mike suggested in another post for an emaxx. At this point I think I'd rather switch to a different spur than cut my chassis...My concern with cutting the chassis is that I might not have the mounting holes if I ever want to install the stock transmission again.

Derek

Old
  (#4)
_paralyzed_
working on a brushless for my wheelchair.....

01.13.2013, 08:09 AM

I'm in your thread now. Did you have the center piece of the cd mount upside down? The flat part goes down...

Are you running traxxas diffs in the front and rear end? That would mean you can only really use dog bones, most center cvd's are for an 8mm pinion shaft.

I'll take a look at both my center diff maxxes and report back what I used.

Edit- this maxx> http://rc-monster.com/forum/showthre...&highlight=pif uses an LST center cvd in front, and a ofna hyper 8.5 rear dog bone in back.

My cybermaxx uses the FLM rear dog bone that came with the FLM chassis in the rear, and I believe a savage front dog bone up front.

Also like neil said, mod1 46 tooth spurs are a better fit and require minimum trimming of the chassis. In my cybermaxx I was able to trim in between mount holes, so I could still mount a transmission if I ever wanted to.

Are you using the 3906 or 3905 FLM chassis?

It's "Dr. _paralyzed_" actually. Not like with a PhD, but Doctor like in Dr. Pepper.

Last edited by _paralyzed_; 01.13.2013 at 08:33 AM.

Old
  (#5)
Emaxx Derek
RC-Monster Stock

01.13.2013, 03:04 PM

I am not sure what flm chassis I'm using. I trimmed the chassis the other night and turned the front mount over and got the slipperential mounted.

I measured the axle cups from end to end and got 76.2mm front and 133.35mm rear. I'm not sure how much room you should leave to get them in? I assume a couple mm each side.

I emailed Mike, rc alloys ( out of business), Kershaw design. I would like to get from Mike because I know they will be correct but I haven't heard back from him yet.

Old
  (#6)
_paralyzed_

01.13.2013, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emaxx Derek View Post
I am not sure what flm chassis I'm using. I trimmed the chassis the other night and turned the front mount over and got the slipperential mounted.

I measured the axle cups from end to end and got 76.2mm front and 133.35mm rear. I'm not sure how much room you should leave to get them in? I assume a couple mm each side.

I emailed Mike, rc alloys ( out of business), Kershaw design. I would like to get from Mike because I know they will be correct but I haven't heard back from him yet.
Mike doesn't really do driveshafts anymore, and Kershaw isn't the most reputable.

Measure to the bottom of the pin slot in the cup to the bottom of the pin slot in the other cup. If you use this as your pin to pin length the dog bone would be tight, so subtract 2mm for each side, or 4mm for the overall length.

savage xl rear dogbone is 142mm. Cut a straw or dowel or coat hanger to 142 and see how it fits.

Are you running traxxas diffs front and rear?

It's "Dr. _paralyzed_" actually. Not like with a PhD, but Doctor like in Dr. Pepper.

Last edited by _paralyzed_; 01.13.2013 at 03:36 PM.

Old
  (#7)
Emaxx Derek
RC-Monster Stock

01.13.2013, 03:39 PM

So I need 74mm front and 131 mm rear then.

I'm assuming using the bones that came with the flm chassis... Kershaw has been the only one to contact me back. Mike said he might have something from past project. What a bummer no one makes custom lengths. I might have thought again about venturing into this if I knew my truck was going to be down for a while because of this... Oh well I'm sure there is resolution.

Will any "dog bones work"? http:// http://www.ebay.com/itm/RedC...item53edbbf69a

Old
  (#8)
_paralyzed_

01.13.2013, 03:53 PM

That particular dog bone you linked to is 1/5 scale and won't work, but you're on the right track.

So the first measurements you gave were to the bottom of the cup? You said "end" so I thought you meant outside edge.

Are you running traxxas diffs front and rear? If they are 1/8 scale diffs you may also be able to use cvd's.

Old
  (#9)
Emaxx Derek
RC-Monster Stock

01.13.2013, 03:58 PM

How do I post pictures in here?

Thank you for your help!!

Old
  (#10)
_paralyzed_

01.13.2013, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emaxx Derek View Post
How do I post pictures in here?

Thank you for your help!!
No problem that's what the forum is for. You have to use an image host like photo bucket, upload your photos there, then you can copy the picture's "direct link".

Then when you hit reply here in the forum one of the tools above the dialogue box is a yellow sguare that looks like it has mountains in it. Click that, delete the "http" and paste your "direct link".

Old
  (#11)
Emaxx Derek
RC-Monster Stock

01.13.2013, 04:28 PM

Here are a couple pictures of my setup. Let me know if you can't see what you need to help with the dog bones. I am running FLM Hybrid Bulks front and rear.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Old
  (#12)
_paralyzed_

01.13.2013, 05:12 PM

The center plate of the center diff mount is upside down, the flat part goes to the bottom.

I don't understand what's going on with that bottom plate with all the holes in it. It almost looks like you mixed and matched a normal chassis with a low center of gravity chassis.

BTW that is a 3905 chassis.

The best bet is really to mock up a driveshaft and measure it.

Old
  (#13)
Emaxx Derek
RC-Monster Stock

01.13.2013, 05:22 PM

Thanks on the plate... That makes more sense :)

Bottom plate is Revolve stand :) highly recommend this stand btw.. Great for working on your truck.

I know the size shafts i need... Just need to find them. Bummer er i can't use the one's i linked above. How can you tell they are 1/5th scale?

Old
  (#14)
_paralyzed_

01.13.2013, 05:28 PM

131mm shaft > http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ofna-New-Rea...item5d3842b751

76mm pretty close > http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Packages-N...item2a27c201f6

I know it's 1/5 because it's for a redcoat rampage, which is 1/5th.

Last edited by _paralyzed_; 01.13.2013 at 05:35 PM.

Old
  (#15)
_paralyzed_

01.13.2013, 05:38 PM

73mm > http://www.ebay.com/itm/CAGE-Parts-F...item27ce3c943e

I'm rethinking that 131mm I linked to, I believe ofna measures their shafts end to end not pin to pin.

I'll keep looking.