RC-Monster Forums  
RC Monster

Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > Support Forums > Castle Creations

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Repair prices increased to near new prices.
Old
  (#1)
brainanator
RC-Monster Aluminum

Repair prices increased to near new prices. - 08.06.2014, 10:28 PM

I have a MMP that has gone belly up. Packed up the rig one day working fine, plugged it in a couple days later and it was not working correctly. Castle phone support did not have a solution for me other than to send it in.
Normally that would not have been a problem, I've sent in 2 MMMs to be repaired/replaced (at the flat price of $75). I opened up the Castle non-warranty repair form and found the prices had increased.

Now a Mamba Monster is $130 to replace (up from $75). The MMP I wanted to have looked at would have been $98. A brand new MMP on Amazon with 2 day shipping is $106...

This makes me really sad, since the great repair prices were a huge factor in my purchasing decisions. I'm sure there is a reason for the price increase, and I would understand a smaller increase. I just don't see any value for the consumer anymore to save $8 (minus your shipping cost, so basically nothing).

The one year warranty is still a good value, which I appreciate. The initial price is also still a good value. These are two reasons I will continue to support Castle, and why I have already ordered a new MMP to replace my damaged one.

OFNA Jammin CRT.5e, Savage Flux HP, MBX5Te, SCX10, Multirotors, foam planes

Last edited by brainanator; 08.06.2014 at 10:31 PM.
  Send a message via Yahoo to brainanator Send a message via MSN to brainanator  
Old
  (#2)
ta_man
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

08.08.2014, 09:22 PM

I just happened to be looking at this a few minutes ago and saw these new prices. I came here to comment on it and found someone else has already done so. I am flabergasted.

The thing that makes the least sense of all is that it costs more to replace a 1410 with a 5MM shaft that didn't need to be machined down than a 1410 with a 1/8" shaft that needed to be machined down from 5MM.

Well maybe that's not the thing that makes the least sense: a 1717 repaired for $90 and a 2650KV 1512 for $130! And then the 1800KV 1512 can be repaired for $80?

Maybe the low prices are ones that they haven't got around to update yet and I shouldn't have mentioned this.

On Castle's web site now they tell us the repair kits were discontinued because they were not "cost effective" but we can always take advantage of the non-warranty service. Hate to say this, but their repair program is now about the same as Novak's: You can buy new for essentially the same as the repair cost plus the shipping. So effectively, it is $130 if you need a new endbell for your 1515.

Just out of curiousity, since the 5MM shaft 1415 repair kit is no longer available, what is one to do if they want a 5MM shaft 1415?

Last edited by ta_man; 08.08.2014 at 09:30 PM.

Old
  (#3)
brainanator
RC-Monster Aluminum

08.09.2014, 12:57 AM

I didn't even look at the motor repair prices. I did call Castle to confirm the prices were right. The guy I talked to said they had to increase the prices due to the rising backend and material prices. I understand Neodymium is at a premium, so motors going up were predicted quite a while ago.

Old
  (#4)
bigblkblazin
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

08.09.2014, 02:22 AM

Sorry to say it . Love castle but I am buying hobbyking shit again. I can buy 6 systems for one castle with less cogging and no noticable power descrease/increase. I have the castle system for show but I dont want to run it in fear that I might burn it.

Old
  (#5)
ta_man
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

08.09.2014, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainanator View Post
I didn't even look at the motor repair prices. I did call Castle to confirm the prices were right. The guy I talked to said they had to increase the prices due to the rising backend and material prices. I understand Neodymium is at a premium, so motors going up were predicted quite a while ago.
With the previos pricing, Castle was effectively selling replacements to existing customers for about the same pricing as they would be selling to distributors (give or take a little). Maybe the distributors complained and now the prices are closer to actual street price. Unless you need some specific programming features that Castle offers, it would be more cost effective to replace a burnt Castle ESC with a Hobbywing. (Hobbyking is something else entirely.

I had a MMP burn a few years ago. I had another so I figured on waiting to get the burnt one replaced until I needed it for something so as not to burn through the warranty sitting on the shelf. At the time the replacement was $50. Then it went to $75, now it is $98. So now, for me, a Hobbywing SCT Pro for $90.

SPECULATION: Another thought occurred to me: I wonder if Patrick sold out to a VC (Venture Capitalist)? Having worked for a company bought by a VC, I can see this as being exactly what they would do.

Old
  (#6)
brainanator
RC-Monster Aluminum

08.10.2014, 12:19 AM

I would say that's a pretty wild speculation... As I said, I still feel that the castle equipment is a good value. I have been tempted to buy a hobbywing system in the past. To me, $90 for a hobbywing ESC, versus $98 for the Castle, I would go Castle all the time. At least I know the Castle is warrantied for a year, and can be much more easily exchanged than the hobbywing.

Old
  (#7)
coolhandcountry
RC-Monster Mod

08.10.2014, 11:00 AM

I have a new one I have never hooked up.
Oh boy I hope I don't have to send anything in.

Peace!
Country
Help support the
Rc-Monster
Buy here

My pics and videos

Old
  (#8)
phildogg
RC-Monster Aluminum

08.10.2014, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainanator View Post
I would say that's a pretty wild speculation... As I said, I still feel that the castle equipment is a good value. I have been tempted to buy a hobbywing system in the past. To me, $90 for a hobbywing ESC, versus $98 for the Castle, I would go Castle all the time. At least I know the Castle is warrantied for a year, and can be much more easily exchanged than the hobbywing.
You can get the traxxas et-3s (mamba pro) for 65.00 new ebay, and then put the correct software on it and have a mmp. people have been doing it for awhile seems ok.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1g...MR6SqQkehkevwA
my youtube channel
  Send a message via Yahoo to phildogg Send a message via AIM to phildogg  
Old
  (#9)
brainanator
RC-Monster Aluminum

08.10.2014, 08:08 PM

^That's a good price, and good to know. Will remember that for the future.

Old
  (#10)
whitrzac
Can't catch this...

08.11.2014, 12:41 AM

Out of the box they are <3s only...

Old
  (#11)
brainanator
RC-Monster Aluminum

08.11.2014, 11:18 PM

Also good to know whitrzac.

Old
  (#12)
lincpimp
Check out my huge box!

08.12.2014, 12:07 PM

I have often bought pulled electronics off ebay. I am not worried about rebrands or whatever, so this suits me. I had noticed that Novak had close to new prices for their warranty services, shame to see Castle going the same way. However I can see that repairing stuff can be troublesome and possibly more costly than just making a new one. And I doubt there is much markup on these products, and given their cost the markup that does exist does not translate into much money per item, so volume sales are the name of the game.

Old
  (#13)
ta_man
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

08.12.2014, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincpimp View Post
I have often bought pulled electronics off ebay. I am not worried about rebrands or whatever, so this suits me. I had noticed that Novak had close to new prices for their warranty services, shame to see Castle going the same way. However I can see that repairing stuff can be troublesome and possibly more costly than just making a new one. And I doubt there is much markup on these products, and given their cost the markup that does exist does not translate into much money per item, so volume sales are the name of the game.
Still kind of mind boggling that Castle is charging more for factory replacements than Tekin for products that have a lower initial cost than the equivalent Tekin product. Still, there is a 1 year warranty on Castle stuff compared to 4 months for Tekin stuff. And Castle return shipping has been free (up to this point anyway). But Tekin lets you buy replacement motor parts instead of telling you to send in a whole motor for replacement when, for instance, you have a bad rotor, endbell, or bearing.

Old
  (#14)
brainanator
RC-Monster Aluminum

08.12.2014, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincpimp View Post
I have often bought pulled electronics off ebay.
I won't be buying any more Castle products from the ebay chop shops, pick and pull, and/or used. The lack of warranty for these sales, with the increased repair prices, just doesn't work for me. I'll be buying new Castle, and maybe try to pick up a used Tekin to try it out, in the future.

Old
  (#15)
A RC Dude
RC-Monster Aluminum

08.19.2014, 12:57 AM

2 weeks ago I plugged in my MMP backwards, fried (every time it makes a beep, it shorts itself but everything else still works perfectly lol)

Saw the repair rates and just bought a used one for $65 instead of paying 98 to replace it...

If I fry my MMM again, i'll probably be trying the hobbywing stuff...i've always ran castle, but those small mistakes like that cost a ton...and now that i'm running a reedy motor in my buggy and tekin in my SCT (found good deals), i'm most likely going to switch to other brands when what I mess up the stuff I have again...

I also did some pricing around when it happened, the Tekin RSX is $215 (NO WAY!) but the a hobbywing ESC for SCT or Mod Motors is $90-187 (will probably try them out next time)

But Castle is huge and shouldn't worry about it, I feel most people go Castle after Traxxas and there business isn't going to drop much.
I'm sure castle is stuffed full of repairs and they probably get backed up repairing them so I understand the price increase, but that was a lot lol
For the MMM they jumped from $75 to $85 for a brief moment to $130

On a side note, you can buy replacement fans/fan mounts for the SW 8th, MMP, maybe a couple others, but not for the MMM. I'll probably print a fan mount for the MMM before long.

Last edited by A RC Dude; 08.19.2014 at 01:00 AM.
  Send a message via Yahoo to A RC Dude Send a message via AIM to A RC Dude