RC Monster

Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > RC-Monster Area > General Discussion

300zx :) or :(
Old
  (#1)
hyper9e
silly nitros....

300zx :) or :( - 08.25.2010, 02:05 PM

Being that I'm sixteen and have a License, I have been looking buying a car in the years to come. My brother (19yrs) said that a 90-96 300zx TT are pretty cheap, reliable, and fast. And insurance rates are not to high. I was looking online and jeez...there is a TON of aftermarket parts for the Z class. I'm starting this thread to see if anyone has experience with the 300zx NA or TT. Example Pic NOT Mine

BTW: Update on the computer build. I sent my DOA mobo into newegg, they thought it was a refund not replacement, so they sent my back my broken mobo. So I sent it back with a different RMA and it should be here within the next week.

"Every time I hear/see a nitro motor, I actually get angry" -BrianG
  Send a message via Skype™ to hyper9e 
Old
  (#2)
AMorgan

08.25.2010, 02:15 PM

These are probably one of my favorite cars and I wish I could afford a TT version. Everything I've read says to look for the last 2 years of production as they ironed out a few "issues" the earlier years had. One thing to point out is it looks like your in Minnesota... I don't think this would really be much of a winter car.

Old
  (#3)
hyper9e
silly nitros....

08.25.2010, 02:30 PM

Meh....thats what snowmobiles are for

Old
  (#4)
TexasSP
Something, anything, nothing

08.25.2010, 02:33 PM

They are cheap with high miles and ragged out.

The problem with used sports cars like this in the low price range categories is that most of them time they have been road hard and put up wet. Reliable, hardly.

If you find one that has been taken care of in good condition with decent to low miles, the price will reflect that. I also don't suggest getting a very powerful car for your first. It will get you in trouble fast.

You will also be a prime target for the police, a 16 year old boy, driving a very noticeable and fast car.

If you want good reliable transportation that won't cost a lot to insure, try a civic, corolla, accord, or camry.

I don't care what anyone says, insurance for a 16 year old boy isn't cheap, and on a car like a 300z your liability will be through the roof.

www.cubicle101.com
A friends comic strip website.

Old
  (#5)
JThiessen
RC-Monster Brushless

08.25.2010, 03:12 PM

I had a late 80's 300Z a while back. Owned it for three months - couldn't get rid of it fast enough!
Yes, it was not as much as other "sports" cars to insure - but mine was not a turbo. Tex is correct - you should actually get a quote from you insurance agent to see how much ins is going to be. I'm betting its higher than you might think.
There just isn't any room in one of those cars - you wont be the one driving all your buddies to the game, thats for certain.

My recommendation is that if you are going to get a sports car, get one that is dirt cheap, and you can tear it down and rebuild it (enroll in some shop classes if they still have those). You can get just as good of performance out of an early 80's Mustang - and they will be cheaper (but maybe not insurance wise).
But then, just how fast do you need it to go? Every car out there can do the speed limit.....if your looking for something better than that, you might want to ask that insurance agent to calculate your rates with a few tickets, and more than likely an accident or two....

Losi 8T 1.0, Savage Flux - XL style, LST XXL, Muggy, 3.3 E-Revo Conversion and sitting outside 425hp, 831 Tq Dodge Ram Turbo Diesel. It SMOKES

Old
  (#6)
josh9mille
RC-Monster Aluminum

08.25.2010, 03:29 PM

I do mechanic work on the side. a few years ago a guy brought his 95 TT300z to me to have the clutch replaced. I thought no big deal, I have done clutches on LOTS of different kinds of cars and trucks. Well holysh!t....this was the most difficult job i have ever done. If you pop the hood you cant even see the ground because the engine compartment is litterally cram packed with sh!t. Since a lot of the work to get the tranny in and out had to be done from the top it was a very difficult job. I called my best friend who is a ASE master tech to come help me and he litterally told me to F-off lol. But he did show up to watch and make fun of me for taking the job! Lesson learned, I will never own one of those things, nor work on one again. And to top it all off the stupid car doesnt even feel fast, it has a very boring power curve. It is kinda fast dont get me wrong, but it doesnt FEEL fast. Just my .02

Now if you want a similar, more aftermarket supported car that is faster, easier to work on get a 4th gen supra TT. Or if you were smart get the NON turbo and convert it later. Insurence will be cheaper than the 300ztt.

Built Ford tough, with Chevy stuff.

Last edited by josh9mille; 08.25.2010 at 03:37 PM.

Old
  (#7)
hyper9e
silly nitros....

08.25.2010, 04:13 PM

I'll be more like seventeen or eighteen by the time I can work enough to get a nice one, so I'll have a lot of driving experience and insurance will not be as high.

Last edited by hyper9e; 08.25.2010 at 04:15 PM.
Old
  (#8)
nitrostarter
RC-Monster Brushless

08.25.2010, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper9e View Post
I'll be more like seventeen or eighteen by the time I can work enough to get a nice one, so I'll have a lot of driving experience and insurance will not be as high.
Insurance usually doesn't start dropping until 21...

N. Rustler conversion
  Send a message via AIM to nitrostarter  
Old
  (#9)
bigsteel

08.25.2010, 05:22 PM

Dude,everyone here has been right,that car cannot be found cheaply and is not easy to work on. Simply put,if you want something fast,cheap,reliable and above all COOL! get a late 80's 5.0 mustang,it doesn't even have to he a gt,the lx was the same car just with cheaper trim.parts support is everywhere,there easy to work on and can be had very cheaply even with under 100,000 miles.--Josh

Old
  (#10)
JThiessen
RC-Monster Brushless

08.25.2010, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsteel View Post
Dude,everyone here has been right,that car cannot be found cheaply and is not easy to work on. Simply put,if you want something fast,cheap,reliable and above all COOL! get a late 80's 5.0 mustang,it doesn't even have to he a gt,the lx was the same car just with cheaper trim.parts support is everywhere,there easy to work on and can be had very cheaply even with under 100,000 miles.--Josh
I was trying to think which trim level that one was...definite sleeper car. And decent mileage if I remember correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrostarter View Post
Insurance usually doesn't start dropping until 21...
Make that 25 for single males. I got divorced when I was 23, and my insurance jumped because I was now a "single male under 25".

Losi 8T 1.0, Savage Flux - XL style, LST XXL, Muggy, 3.3 E-Revo Conversion and sitting outside 425hp, 831 Tq Dodge Ram Turbo Diesel. It SMOKES

Old
  (#11)
reno911
Smelly Nitro meet your maker!

08.25.2010, 05:36 PM

My best advice as someone who owned a nice brand new car at 16. Do not, I repeat, DO NOT waste your time and money on anything fancy at that age. Seriously what is there to prove?

Get something safe, and more importantly, reliable. Pick up a cheap honda or toyota. Something with ABS and good airbags. Just because you think you drive safely does not mean that everyone else can. This way insurance, which is automatically high at your age, will be reasonable. That and if you get something moderate, gas would be reasonable as well.

But, it is your decision. So do as you wish.

Old
  (#12)
hyper9e
silly nitros....

08.25.2010, 07:37 PM

Ahh, we already have a Subaru and Civic.... Kinda wanted to have a memorable first car, not just a civic or corolla..

Old
  (#13)
josh9mille
RC-Monster Aluminum

08.25.2010, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper9e View Post
Ahh, we already have a Subaru and Civic.... Kinda wanted to have a memorable first car, not just a civic or corolla..
No matter what your first car is, it will still be a memorable one. In 1992 i bought my first car, a 1980 toyota celica. Lots of memories from that car. Even though it was slow and underpowered it was still fun. There really is no need to get an "extension" for your first car, it will probably be totalled in the first year anyway, especially with all the kids texting while driving these days.

Built Ford tough, with Chevy stuff.

Old
  (#14)
Metallover
RC-Monster Spudgunner

08.25.2010, 09:42 PM

If there's as many hicks at your school as there is at mine, get a pickup! You can go muddin' with your friends and it will be good for the winter.

Random fact at my school we lost the privilege to drive tractors to school after a kid let his blade down and ripped out the speed bump.
  Send a message via AIM to Metallover Send a message via MSN to Metallover  
Old
  (#15)
ikpthegame
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

08.26.2010, 04:39 AM

no our town is full of rich spoiled preppy kids, not so many hicks.