Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > Support Forums > Project "X"

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Got a new Redcat Rampage MT V3 nack on Nov 24th
Old
  (#1)
Gee
A Horse's Ass

Got a new Redcat Rampage MT V3 nack on Nov 24th - 01.15.2011, 12:05 AM

Note sure if this will end up a Project X but.......

Hi Guys, I bit the bullet or it bit me. I bought a new Redcate Rampage MT V3 back in November. It showed up at the house the day before Thanksgiving. Been messing with it pretty much since them. Got it setup pretty well now. I have a thread going on it over at redcatrampageforum.com. Has a bunch more pictures and a couple video. If you have the time check it out in this link.

http://www.redcatrampageforum.com/showthread.php?t=4750

It has what the baja 5b was missing for me. The MT truck look and 4 wheel drive. Got some pictures and video links in a thread located here if you have some time to check it out. I like the truck, sucker is big and powerful. Here's some pictures of it when it first arrived.

It looks used now.

Iíve taken up downhill skiing again after 20+ years being away from it. I donít remember it being that hard to get back up on my skis after a fall. I must of looked like an old walrus floundering around trying to get up. I am finding some muscles I forgot I had. I wish they were 20 years younger though. We are heading up to the mountain first thing in the morning so have to go snuggle up. Hope all is well with everyone.

Guy

Old
  (#2)
What's_nitro?
Soldermaster Extraordinaire

01.15.2011, 12:08 AM

That thing is sweet. The more I see these 1/5 trucks, the more I believe it will be the next RC I buy.

Old
  (#3)
thzero
RC-Monster Aluminum

01.15.2011, 01:11 PM

Dang those tires are massive. :) Whats the beast weigh? Hows the fit/finish and materials seem on the beast?

Be interesting to see how it goes with an e-conversion!

Old
  (#4)
Gee
A Horse's Ass

01.18.2011, 12:39 AM

I would recommend to anyone trying out the gassers. If the gassers aren't something you end up enjoying. It seem the 5th scales retain their value better then the rest of the hobby. You should get most of your money back when you sale it.

Sounds bad or lazy but I got tired of charging lipos all the time. I still got several of my brushless setups but don't run them as often as I use to. These guys you charge the rx pack throw in some gas. Pull the cord a couple of times and off you go. About an hour per tank. No messing with the carb everytime out. You get about 5 tanks per gallon of gas. So a gallon gas only being $3.25 at the most the cost of running these guys pays off in the long run. Five hours of run time for 3.25 is pretty good. Initially you will go through a few spark plugs getting the tune correct but after that you will not be replacing them. I went through glow plugs on the nitos I had a lot. They were 6 - 7 dollars a piece. These spark plugs are more like 3.50 a piece. A few month ago I lost compression or power in one of my engines. It took maybe 20 buck to replace the piston ring and some gaskets to get it back up to where it was. The nitro engines would have required a new piston and sleave to contineu to use the same engine at 70 - 120 depending on the nitro engine.

I know there are conversion going on with the 5th scale. I think ryu james has done one and maybe a few others. I doubt I will be going down that road though. I like the power they churn out and the run times I get running the gas engines in them. No better forum then RCM to get a conversion going for one though. Mike can build a conversion for anything out there. Alway a lot of help here with the broad experience of all the guys here.

Redcat came out with some new 5th scale trucks and buggys that are a lot lighter then these ones are. I think they are going to be available this Feb and are called XTs or something like that. Sound like those would be a better platform to go with a conversion on to get a 4x4 conversion going. I think Obeast44 has plans to convert one of these new ones. He's also a member over at the redcatrampageforum. I believe that redcat will also be releasing an electric 5th scale. Not sure on that though.

With the stock tires installedo on it. It was 34lbs when I had it on the scale a while back ago. The stock tires are heavy. I have some lighter tires the excavators to run when the weather gets better. The V3 of the Rampage has had a lot of corrections made to it. I am real happy with it and haven't had any issues with it vs what the owners of the previous versions 1 & 2 had gone through. Seemed that Redcat kept in touch with the owners and fixed the problems people were having. Other then the electronics but few rtr rc come out that the servos are not one of the first thing being swapped out.

Thanks for the comments and checking it out.

Old
  (#5)
Gee
A Horse's Ass

01.18.2011, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by What's_nitro? View Post
That thing is sweet. The more I see these 1/5 trucks, the more I believe it will be the next RC I buy.
Forgot to mention if you did get one for you next RC. You can still keep the cool user name you got!

Old
  (#6)
E-Revonut
RC-Monster RC8T

01.18.2011, 12:45 AM

If I ever bought one of these I would not be looking to convert it. Gas is def a different ball game than nitro. I'm sure you can throw in a 6000mah 2s rx pack and get about 5hrs runtime. So for the price of a gallon of gas you could theoretically run all day, chances are before 5hrs something would break I would imagine.

RC-Monster RC8T 1515 2.5D/MMM/5s RC-M 4500mah
SC10 MMPro 13.5T 2s NeuEnery 5000mah
RC18T Mamba 25/5400kv 2s lipo + 6s NiMh

Old
  (#7)
What's_nitro?
Soldermaster Extraordinaire

01.18.2011, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee View Post
Forgot to mention if you did get one for you next RC. You can still keep the cool user name you got!
Haha you're right! Although adding some nitro would make it more fun...

Old
  (#8)
Gee
A Horse's Ass

01.18.2011, 02:15 PM

I checked and they are planning an electric 5th scale release with the XT versions of the rampages

http://www.rampagehopups.com/categor...?categoryId=29

Electric Brushless 4485 1150KV Single Speed 4 Wheel Drive Length 750mm Width 540mm Height 320mm Wheelbase 515mm Ground Clearance 42mm Speed Control 150A With Fan Li-Po 11.1v 3600mAh Qty 2 2.4GHz Radio System

Old
  (#9)
lincpimp
Check out my huge box!

01.18.2011, 02:21 PM

Looks like they plan to run 6s. Maybe with a hobbywing or similar esc?

Old
  (#10)
thzero
RC-Monster Aluminum

01.18.2011, 02:24 PM

They need to ramp up their parts support and get them out to the major distributors!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee View Post
I checked and they are planning an electric 5th scale release with the XT versions of the rampages

Old
  (#11)
thzero
RC-Monster Aluminum

01.18.2011, 02:25 PM

http://www.redcatracing.com/RC-Cars/1-5-Scale

Old
  (#12)
lincpimp
Check out my huge box!

01.18.2011, 02:34 PM

Yup, 6s, 2 3s packs in series. From the vid it looks great. And if the pricing of their other vehicles is comparable you should be able to pick one up for 700 or less. Good deal, IMO. All you need is a 6s capable charger.

Old
  (#13)
jpoprock
"Don't act like you're not impressed."

01.18.2011, 02:39 PM

I agree.... 1/5th scale is my next "thing". The problem as I see it, is that it's so "new" (i.e. gaining popularity), that there are many options out there. I've seen CEN's SC truck at the LHS, but not in action... and it seemed beefy and laid out nicely. But it's huge! And beefy or not... plastic breaks. There are tons of awesome parts avail for HPI products, but who knows whether that stuff will work on other brands like CEN, HobbyKing, etc. I guess if the trucks are HPI compatible, then yes. But these new 1/5 trucks are so new that no one seems to know. And if you can't upgrade the parts to something more durable, or at least buy replacements for dirt cheap from an eBay chop shop... then the truck will be a money pit.

From what I understand... there are things you'll want to add on to make these trucks more functional such as more ridged tranny/drivetrain parts to prevent flexing, better starters, kill switch, and beefier servos. But by the time you get all that stuff added on, you've spent a mint. But... since you can get some of these trucks much cheaper than the HPI's, if you can get good upgrades from the "Name brand companies" that make all the fance HPI parts.. then they would be worth considering!

ERBE: RCM 1/8 Hybrid Diffs, NEU 1515/2.5d/S MMM, 6S, Losi E-XXL CUSTOM, Neu1515 2.5d, MMM, 6s E-SLAYVO PRO ERevo Chassis w/ Pro 3.3 parts, NEU 1512, MMM, 4S.
  Send a message via Yahoo to jpoprock Send a message via AIM to jpoprock  
Old
  (#14)
thzero
RC-Monster Aluminum

01.18.2011, 03:01 PM

Well thats the rub for these "off brands"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpoprock View Post
And if you can't upgrade the parts to something more durable, or at least buy replacements for dirt cheap from an eBay chop shop... then the truck will be a money pit.

Old
  (#15)
Gee
A Horse's Ass

01.29.2011, 03:56 PM

I had the same thoughts as you guys when I jumped in. HPI good but over priced, and aftermarket upgrade prices for parts make you feel like you just visited the proctoligist. The parts for the most part are extremely durable. Although the HPI stock arms were the first to break and upgraded to the RPMs. The Rampage has proven to be the toughest stock rc that I've been through and that list is pretty long. Rampage is improving it RCs and the V3 they came out with is proof they listen and make changes. I can't speak of the clones but most of the buggy parts are compatible between the two.

There hasn't been a single RTR RC I've had that hasn't needed upgrades right out of the box. The radio setup and servos are always the first of be replaced, then when you add more power you upgrade or do the mods to make them durable. There isn't any difference with the 5th scale RC then any other rc as far as making your new rc more functional. Prices for the 5th are higher but I am not fixing a broken part, differential, tranny, shock, etc. etc. after every time I go bashing like I would with 1/10th scale and occasional 1/8th scale carnage. You pay more but the trucks are tough as nails from my experience.

Speaking of putting them to the test. I picked up a upgrade for the engine that is going to increase it to an estimated 4.25 HP. I've been running an upgraded CY26 at approx. 3.75 hp to test the durability of the Rampage MT5 V3 and it's held it own. Only snapped a few bolts that hold the top rear arms together.

ESP 4-Bolt Modified/ESP CHAMPIONSHIP PORTED 36mm Zenoah 30.5cc kit w/ 2mm crank kit.

Last edited by Gee; 01.29.2011 at 05:42 PM.