RC Monster

Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > Support Forums > Brushless

A123's new M1-B cells, 2600W/kg
Old
  (#1)
zeropointbug
Z-Pinch racer

A123's new M1-B cells, 2600W/kg - 05.06.2012, 08:18 PM

Hey guys, I'm back! LONG time no post, trying to get back in the racing game this year. Unfortunately I have neglected my G3 lipo packs for the last 18 months and they have lost capacity and power. I just noticed they have new M1 cells, apparently the same power/weight as their Ultra B 32113 cells. I was originally going to try a 4s pack made from the 32 cells, but the low voltage made it undesirable (12V). I requested a data sheet on the M1 cell just now, unless someone else has it and can be so kind as to post it here?

“The modern astrophysical concept that ascribes the sun’s energy to thermonuclear reactions deep in the solar interior is contradicted by nearly every observable aspect of the sun.” —Ralph E. Juergens

Old
  (#2)
sikeston34m
RC-Monster Brushless

05.06.2012, 08:22 PM

Hi Zeropoint! Long time no see!

Welcome back!

What are you thinking about using the cells on?

While your looking up specs, Did you see A123's new 20ah pouch cell?

Probably won't work for your application, but still cool.

Old
  (#3)
zeropointbug
Z-Pinch racer

05.06.2012, 09:56 PM

Hey Sike, glad to see you're still here! I was thinking of using them for a truggy (which I don't have), if not, then just for my race Revo. Either a 6 or 7s pack, depending on if I use it for truggy (7s) or Revo. Maybe even an 8s pack, as the resting voltage is still within acceptable range for the tekin rx8, I remember someone mentioning that they have run on 8s a123 without issues.

Isn't the 20Ah pouch cell old news Sike? Like 2 year old? Or did they release a new version as well?

The hyperion 720i is reporting 2-3 milli-ohm for the 32113 cell that i have been testing, so the new M1 cell should be roughly 3-5 milli-ohm, alot better than the 7-8 for the old tech.

“The modern astrophysical concept that ascribes the sun’s energy to thermonuclear reactions deep in the solar interior is contradicted by nearly every observable aspect of the sun.” —Ralph E. Juergens

Old
  (#4)
zeropointbug
Z-Pinch racer

05.07.2012, 08:55 AM

The other option if not the new a123 based pack, is the thunderpower 45C packs, 6s 3300mah, RCtoys.com is in my hometown so there won't be any shipping for me there. If anyone has used these packs and can post their experience, or better yet a discharge graph it would be greatly appreciated.

I have been cycling the old hyperion G3 35c packs i have about a dozen times but the difference in capacity of the two packs make them incompatible with each other... one is 2800+mah, and the other is around 3400mah, both 3s packs for a 6s config. Cell resistance over both packs are OK, pretty matched still, roughly 8 mohm for both, vs. 4mohm when they were new 3 years ago. Would still provide plenty of power by today's standards.

Old
  (#5)
zeropointbug
Z-Pinch racer

05.07.2012, 08:46 PM

http://www.rctoys.com/rc-toys-and-pa...LIPO-BATT.html

thunderpower 40C Pro race 4s 4200mah packs $90

I wonder if these would be a good buy, they have been out for 3 years now, so are these going to have the same performance as they used to? I like how they never mention how old they really are...

Old
  (#6)
zeropointbug
Z-Pinch racer

05.09.2012, 10:02 PM

Does anyone visit this forum anymore? Last time I was on here it was quite lively lol Come on guys, this is the beginning on RC season!

Old
  (#7)
BrianG
RC-Monster Admin

05.09.2012, 10:08 PM

The forum has been rather slow lately. Not too many of the old timers around seems like. I pop in now and then, but like I said, it's been slow...
  Send a message via Yahoo to BrianG Send a message via MSN to BrianG  
Old
  (#8)
zeropointbug
Z-Pinch racer

05.10.2012, 12:15 PM

Hey Brian, how goes it. Yeah it looks like lot's of the senior members haven't been on here much. Would you know anything about the new A123's? Where you can buy them for instance?

Old
  (#9)
BrianG
RC-Monster Admin

05.10.2012, 12:22 PM

Going well. I too have not been doing too much with R/C lately in favor of more computer-related stuff.

As to where to buy A123's? Your guess is as good as mine. Personally, their normal cells have too high a weight:power ratio, not to mention the cylindrical form factor wastes precious space. But I have been eyeballing their 20Ah pouch cells for ebike use...
  Send a message via Yahoo to BrianG Send a message via MSN to BrianG  
Old
  (#10)
zeropointbug
Z-Pinch racer

05.10.2012, 01:02 PM

Yeah, they do take up so much space, makes them hard to work with on any RC form factor. I am using the 15Ah A123 cells for a 16s pack in my ebike for two years now and they are running GREAT. I can get 35km or almost 22 miles range from the ~770 Wh pack, that's cruising at 55kph or 34mph. The cell iR doesn't even register on my 720i when doing individual cell testing. I have a long 3 foot lead running to the controller, so am going to shorten that up to get rid of some of the voltage drop... down to ~48volts under a 45 amp acceleration load.

These things could start a truck engine.

Old
  (#11)
x-y
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

05.13.2012, 12:29 AM

I used many a123 cells and sincerely I think is a bad election ..... is much better buy lipos turnigy nano-tech ...... this lipos have +400life cycles and are much cheaper, powerfull and lighter than the a123cells .....

SWORKZ BE-1, LEOPARD, HOBBYWING, GENS ACE, SANWA VX, FUTABA 3PL, MBX5R/T, RB5SPSL, FG MONSTER, TC5R, 808E, HYPER8, TF5, ZX5, NANO-TECH, HYPERION, 620DMG, ECO6-10, TEAM-IHOBBIES

Old
  (#12)
zeropointbug
Z-Pinch racer

06.08.2012, 09:22 AM

Yeah, I was thinking of buying some nano-tech's... for a paperweight.