RC Monster

Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > RC-Monster Area > General Discussion

Just bought my first RC in many years
Old
  (#1)
crazyjr
RC-Monster Dual Brushless

Just bought my first RC in many years - 04.14.2021, 06:03 PM

Long story short, I had a rough few years in the 2010's and ended up losing all my old stuff. Been working on getting back into it again, I finally have. I bought an Arrma Big Rock 3s, This has been a great truck the last couple days, since I could finally run it. I had it last week, but had to wait on support equipment. My current support setup is Ovonic 5500 50C 3s packs (2) and a Hobbymate D6 Pro Duo charger with internal balancing

I had to swap the Spektrum IC5 plug to a Genuine Deans plug and been very happy with it so far. It just feels good to be able to get out and have fun and not be on a computer all day. To all those wondering about the Arrma 3s series, I have no complaints, except no adjustments for shock positions. In fact it's dealt with me relearning how to drive very well, not a part has broken in two days, very well built trucks

I didn't really post much, because I didn't have much to post about. But may post more since I have something to post about now. Don't have a good camera at the moment, but soon as i do, I'll post some pics

Edit, heads up, if you go with the packs i used, they might not fit the Granite, it has a shorter wheelbase than the BR. If you get the senton (CRT) or typhon (3s 1/8 buggy)share the same chassis, but you need to remove the blocks in the battery box

Work because i gotta, play because i wanna

People here hate Nitro, I love it. I start it, run it about 50 ft from me and it dies, I go after it. Perfect exercise

Last edited by crazyjr; 04.14.2021 at 06:06 PM.

Old
  (#2)
Dafni
RC-Monster Mod

04.28.2021, 01:45 AM

Good to see you! It's been a while, eh? I'm glad to read you are still around.

RC/DC - Brushless Conversions since 2000 !
>>>>>>>>> www.rc-dc.ch <<<<<<<<<<

Old
  (#3)
crazyjr

04.28.2021, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dafni View Post
Good to see you! It's been a while, eh? I'm glad to read you are still around.
Thanks, I'm still around, getting used to this truck. this thing is a little beast. I am already thinking about upgrading the radio, honestly it needs a gyro based radio and a slight gear down (no alt pinion with this one). Motor feels very warm (almost hot), but so far the esc is not straining. thinking going from the stock 15 to a 13 tooth will probably make the motor live longer.

People here hate Nitro, I love it. I start it, run it about 50 ft from me and it dies, I go after it. Perfect exercise

Old
  (#4)
crazyjr

06.29.2021, 06:36 PM

It's now been about 2 months since I got the Arrma Big Rock, I have to say I'm impressed. I'm not beating it senseless, but I'm not easy on it either, it seems to just take everything I give it and ask for seconds. It's a little front heavy, so without lots of throttle it'll endo easily. Hoping an eventual upgrade to a set of Proline shocks and springs will fix a lot of that. Right now there is two things that are bugging me on this truck #1. a lack of adjustments for the shocks (top or bottom) and I have seen no optional springs without looking third party. #2. This thing has two fans, one on the ESC and one on the motor. I understand the esc fan due to the very small size, but if you need a fan on the motor you have a mis-sized motor for the application. Just my opinion, never had to run a fan on a motor, never did on the esc either I ran Quark or mamba max esc's at up to 6s with 0 issues. BTW just temped the esc and motor after todays run 88*f outdoor temp, The ESC was in the 110*f range and the motor was in the 124*f range. not sure if that is good or bad but honestly both are fairly close, still not digging the fans though.

Like I said I'm not what people call a true basher, I don't willingly try to break my stuff. But accidents happen and not having an RC since 2013, there is a lot of accidents. I have hit trees at full speed, tumbles across the yard (long, narrow yard), this truck hasn't broke anything, not an arm, chassis or even a gear. As I said this is a little front heavy, requiring throttle to land right. Despite the plastic spur and ring and pinion (yes both are plastic), with metal planetary gears internally (think traxxas 2wd style diffs). they haven't even slipped and I've not even shimmed them yet, not sure if I'll need to.

The only thing i had to do to make this work for me was swap the connector from the IC5 spektrum connector to a deans so I could run more packs than their overpriced ones. My current packs are Ovonic 3s 50c 5500 packs, they are great packs and give me something like 15 minutes of run time (just a guess, not ever timed it).

I think this is a great starter car for almost anyone, though I'd suggest 2s to start with. 3s got me in a lot of trouble till I got used to it. It is an extremely tough truck, that can take a good pounding. My complaint of no adjustments, makes it even better for new drivers, since it's almost impossible to screw up a setup.

If you want to see what this truck can really handle check this guy out. he is extremely tough on his stuff and this vid convinced me to buy this truck
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2FpF3xexIU&t=70s
He's also converted it to 4s and it's a monster
If you read this, thank you and sorry for any grammar errors, was never good in my grammar classes

Last edited by crazyjr; 06.29.2021 at 11:16 PM.