RC-Monster Forums  
RC Monster

Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > RC-Monster Area > General Discussion

Best Buy sinks to a new low
Old
  (#1)
Freezebyte

Best Buy sinks to a new low - 07.13.2011, 10:03 PM

I think im gonna throw up. I'm requesting one of the admins on my tech websites to setup a paypal donation fund so we can take care of this poor girl

http://consumerist.com/2011/07/best-...since-may.html

Old
  (#2)
josh9mille
RC-Monster Aluminum

07.13.2011, 10:35 PM

Really? If you think you are going to spew chunks you better head to the bathroom! Are you sure you didnt just eat something bad? Pepto Bismal works pretty well for nausea.

Built Ford tough, with Chevy stuff.

Old
  (#3)
Finnster
KillaHurtz

07.13.2011, 10:40 PM

I'd be more useful to just call the local news and shame them. BB would prbably rush to give her a brand new one.

If you pay them, the terrorists win

Old
  (#4)
_paralyzed_
working on a brushless for my wheelchair.....

07.13.2011, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freezebyte View Post
I think im gonna throw up. I'm requesting one of the admins on my tech websites to setup a paypal donation fund so we can take care of this poor girl

http://consumerist.com/2011/07/best-...since-may.html
Money isn't the problem. Her mom is an x-ray tech. Best buy is the problem. She needs a competent tech to fix her computer.

It's a nice sentiment, but setting up a donation fund won't help anything.

It's "Dr. _paralyzed_" actually. Not like with a PhD, but Doctor like in Dr. Pepper.

Old
  (#5)
Freezebyte

07.13.2011, 11:07 PM

Donation fund will go to getting her a new laptop if these fucktards don't replace it for her.

Don't under estimate the power of giving from my fellow computer nerds. We are strong, we are many and some of us are pretty damn rich....

Old
  (#6)
whitrzac
Can't catch this...

07.13.2011, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Donation fund will go to getting her a new laptop if these fucktards don't replace it for her.

Don't under estimate the power of giving from my fellow computer nerds. We are strong, we are many and some of us are pretty damn rich....
I thought you were 12-13 or am I thinking of someone else?

computer "nerd" knows not to buy anything from BB, and so should everyone else...

Old
  (#7)
josh9mille
RC-Monster Aluminum

07.13.2011, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitrzac View Post
I thought you were 12-13
mentally he is

Old
  (#8)
_paralyzed_

07.13.2011, 11:33 PM

Quote:

I know, anon runs the world. Do you reddit?

I just wonder about the details. When was this? Is it resolved by now? Do you even have enough information about these people to do as you plan? There were only first names in the article.

If she still needs help and you can guarantee she gets the proceeds I'll happily donate. Let us know.

It's "Dr. _paralyzed_" actually. Not like with a PhD, but Doctor like in Dr. Pepper.

Old
  (#9)
Freezebyte

07.14.2011, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitrzac View Post

computer "nerd" knows not to buy anything from BB, and so should everyone else...

Uninformed people do and there are lots of them and thats the problem. And I just turned 31 FYI

Old
  (#10)
josh9mille
RC-Monster Aluminum

07.14.2011, 12:13 AM

Like Harold said earlier, her mom is an x-ray tech, they make decent bank. Im sure money is not the issue here, probably just the principle of the whole thing is the issue. Honestly she never should have paid the 300 bucks for the aftermarket warranty. Those warranty company's whole reason for exsistence is to figure out a way NOT to have to pay for repairs. She should have spent the 300 bucks on buying a back-up laptop so she would have something to use while the other is in the shop. Thats what I paid for my laptop brand new ($300) and its worked flawlessly for almost 3yrs now.

Old
  (#11)
Freezebyte

07.14.2011, 12:17 AM

I never said the principle of this story was to be ignored in the first place. Its just flat out irresponsible, indecent human behavior to another human being who lives a more challenged life that requires the aid of technology more so then normal people.

Or do you wanna just turn this thread into a "roasting" against me also?

Last edited by Freezebyte; 07.14.2011 at 12:18 AM.

Old
  (#12)
Metallover
RC-Monster Spudgunner

07.14.2011, 12:23 AM

This sums it up

Quote:
Coffee
July 13, 2011 5:09 PM

"What a damned mess. Without having more information, I would hazard a guess that the hard drive has an issue. If the OS in preloaded on the HDD and the HDD fails, that leaves the owner in a precarious position because Best Buy is unable to restore the operating system on the new drive. All that said, if Best Buy sells a $300 warranty on the computer, they's better damned well have a system in place whereby they're able to work with the manufacturer to get another copy of the OS onto the repaired system. If they don't, then their warranty is worthless as far as the HDD is concerned.

Also, $170 to "repair" an AC adapter? What the hell does that even mean? A new adapter is only a fraction of the cost.

And yes, there's no way that they should be able to stall on the repair, then claim the warranty is expired. That's pure bull****"
Best buy sucks. They're the MA of retail electronics.
  Send a message via AIM to Metallover Send a message via MSN to Metallover  
Old
  (#13)
josh9mille
RC-Monster Aluminum

07.14.2011, 12:32 AM

Bryce, Im sorry that you cant take some good natured ribbing without getting offended. If my first post in this thread hurt your feelers then just say so and I will edit it to sound more compassionate towards you.

In other news....yes it is unfortunate what BB is doing here. But honestly im about 99% sure this has/will be taken care of without our help. From what I gathered from the article we are only talking about 170 bucks. Im sure BB will see the bad press they are recieving and make things right with her, or her mom will just pony up the 170 herself.

Old
  (#14)
_paralyzed_

07.14.2011, 02:47 AM

Well, it definitely hits home. By definition I am an invalid, and when the computer is down it suuuucccccccckkkkkksssss.

I have a 21 year old redhead gal and a 24 year old brunette girl take care of me though, not my mom.

Bryce- sorry this thread turned (they all do on rcm) It is definitely disgusting business practice.

Greater good could be done by forwarding this to their local media, and in general spreading the word about best buy.

Old
  (#15)
TexasSP
Something, anything, nothing

07.14.2011, 11:02 AM

It sucks but I sure won't donate with so little real info.

Any financial person will tell you the extended warranties are all a scam and a poor financial investment. The fact that people buy things like this with little research is their problem. In my opinion you should understand what you are buying and use the multitude of online resources available to educate yourself.

BB sucks and even worse is Geek Squad. I own an small business IT support company and the horror stories of what GS has done to peoples machines and the money they charge is sickening. Hell, I spend half my time talking people out of spending money with me so they do things in a way that is most beneficial to them.

FB, you gotta learn to simma down na son! You have the commitment of a butterfly and the soul of a 13 year old girl. We don't hate you though, you just set yourself up for it so well that it would be down right wasteful to miss the opportunity.

As for BB and GS, I just warn everyone I come across not to do business with them.

www.cubicle101.com
A friends comic strip website.