RC-Monster Forums  
RC Monster

Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > Questions and Answers > Pre Sales Questions

What System?
Old
  (#1)
chvaka

What System? - 03.18.2005, 03:13 PM

Brand new to this website. I originally purchased an Evader Pro to race with at the local track. It seems like I am never able to get their to race so I have decided to turn my Evader into a Monster Evader and add a brushless system. I know nothing about them other than things I have read that states most people after using them will never go back to brushed. Where should I begin??

Chris

Old
  (#2)
RC-Monster Mike
Site Owner

03.18.2005, 04:05 PM

Lets start with your intentions. You stated you are basically going to bash. I assume you will install larger tires ("Monster evader")? Next, we must discuss cell count. How many cells do you intend to run? There are several ways to go about it, but for sure we can meet your needs and bring the performance of your truck to a level that will exceed your expectations. Most likely the MGM 80 amp controller will be the one for you. We just need to determine the motor choice to complete the package. Welcome to the forums!

Mike

Old
  (#3)
chvaka

03.18.2005, 04:19 PM

yes, I will be putting bigger tires on it. I guess I was just thinking about running 6 cells for the ease of everything fitting etc. I like the idea of little maintenance with a BL, but also want longer run times as well. The highest top speed is not my most important factor.

Thanks,
Chris

chvaka
Old
  (#4)
HotnCold
RC-Monster Admin

chvaka - 03.18.2005, 04:42 PM

Welcome to the site... It looks like your on board for some serious power... This is the place for that - And i can attest to " Once you go brushless you wont go back". On some of our race trucks we kinda termed the phrase " Can't brush this !! " You cant go wrong with the combo that RC-Monster Mike will hook ya up with. Once again - Welcome to the RC-Monster Family....

Hows that "Hope and Change" working out for Ya???

Old
  (#5)
chvaka

03.18.2005, 05:09 PM

Thanks for the warm welcome. Where would you guys recommend I go to get information on brushless? I know you will recommend a setup for me, but what is the best way for me to learn and understand why you are recommending what you are? Are there books? A specific site on the internet? I just want to understand as much as possible. Once I figure this out, I am thinking about the Li-po batteries and I know the more I know on the brushless side, will help me on the battery side.

Thanks,
Chris

Old
  (#6)
HotnCold
RC-Monster Admin

03.18.2005, 05:36 PM

As far as a site on the net - you can pick up bits and pieces in several locations - Do you know anyone running them? If so, that would be a good place to start.. Here is a little info on them. A brushless permanent magnet motor is the highest performing motor in terms of torque vs. weight or efficiency. Brushless motors are usually a more expensive type of motor as well, making them practical in situations where their features make them absolutely necessary. ( Like we all know - we gotta be faster and torquier than the nitro guys - LOL )Some of the benefits are very high torque to inertia ratio, Very high peak torque, Very high reliability (no commutator or brush to wear out), Higher efficiency (due to no brush friction) and virtually no maintenance at all. Everything is sealed and tight so there is no dirt infiltration. And some of the drawbacks are...... Um...... I dont think that there are any drawbacks exept the price. And for the performance/cost ratio - I think that its not really too bad.. I gotta run now - I gotta whoop some brushed cars now - Hope this helps ya a little..........

Hows that "Hope and Change" working out for Ya???

Old
  (#7)
RC-Monster Mike
Site Owner

03.18.2005, 06:56 PM

Chris, There are several hundred posts on this site dedicated to brushless questions as well. There really is no hard and fast rule for selecting a system, but the performance aspects work similar to brushed motors. The bigger the motor, the more torque it will have. The faster the motor (higher rpm/volt), the more power it will have, but at the cost of less runtime (like a mod motor). There is no one place to "learn everything about brushless motors", and while you will certainly learn a lot from this and other forums, experience is by far the best teacher. I use my experience to try to match a system based on the needs expressed by the customer, and I will always answer any specific or general questions you may have before, during and after the purchase. Please look around and if you have an unanswered question, feel free to ask away.
Also, I will further recomend the lehner basic 4200 to go along with the MGM controller for your truck. This has a nice power output and is very good on battery consumption. If your truck can take 7 cell packs, this would probably enhance your driving pleasure as well (the 4200 runs very well on 7 cells with a very nice runtime). When it comes to batteries, a good quality set of batteries is required to get the optimum performance from a brushless system, so keep this in mind as well. There are also a few posts regarding LiPo batteries and a few experienced folks on this forum running them.

Old
  (#8)
chvaka

03.18.2005, 07:06 PM

When you say very nice runtime, will it be longer than I get now with a 3000 nimh and a stock motor? Also, if I want 7 cells, is that going to get me more power/speed or more runtime, or both? Lastly, with what you recommended, how does it compare to the novak ss5800. Thanks again for all your help.

Chris

Old
  (#9)
RC-Monster Mike
Site Owner

03.18.2005, 07:15 PM

I have gotten up to 16 minutes of runtime with this system in my t3 using 3000 packs, so I would say it will exceed the runtime of your current setup. It will have a lot more power than your stock motor as well. Using 7 cells and a slightly lower gear ratio will yield more power and more runtime than a six cell pack, so the best of both worlds. The novak ss5800 will be a little less powerful, particularly in the mid and upper rpm range, and runtime would be pretty similar. The Novak is also limited to a maxx of 7 cells, while the mgm/Lehner combo can take up to 12 cells (not so important in an evader, but for speed runs or a possible transplant to another vehicle in the future, this is a consideration).

Old
  (#10)
chvaka

03.18.2005, 07:22 PM

The assembled 7 cell stickpack you sell would work well for this set-up?

Thanks again,
Chris

Old
  (#11)
chvaka

03.18.2005, 07:24 PM

Also, the evader comes with an 88 tooth spur gear, what pinion size would you recommend.

Chris

Old
  (#12)
RC-Monster Mike
Site Owner

03.18.2005, 07:28 PM

Yes, those batteries will work very well. I recently picked up some 3p3300 loose cells as well, for those interested in building their own packs. What is the stock motor and pinion gear for the evader? The 4200 should be geared similar to a 12-14 turn motor as a starting point (should be some recomendations in you manual), but if you run bigger tires, it is a good idea to start at least one tooth lower.

Old
  (#13)
chvaka

03.18.2005, 07:32 PM

The motor that came with the evader is a Havok 15T motor and the pinion is a 15 tooth. I currently have a P2K2 motor with a 17 tooth pinion.

Chris

Old
  (#14)
RC-Monster Mike
Site Owner

03.19.2005, 01:33 AM

I would start with a 14 tooth pinion and adjust accordingly, based on this. Again, the manual may have some recommendations as well for different turn motors.

Old
  (#15)
chvaka

03.25.2005, 12:41 AM

Would your recommendation from above for speed control and BL motor be the same if I decided to get a Rustler instead of my evader?

Thanks again,
Chris