RC Monster

Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > Support Forums > HPI Savage

FLM or GH bulkheads?
Old
  (#1)
mothman
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

FLM or GH bulkheads? - 09.13.2011, 02:19 PM

Im upgrading the bulkhead but not sure which one to get. Th FLM looks good but lack of easy access. The GH has the easy access but doesnt look like it is cnc machined. and from what I have read, the quality of the machining (the tolerance is a bit off). The flux diff doesn't really fit in it.

So between these two, which one would get? My main concern is the durability not so on the easy access..Anyone managed to break either of these bulkheads?
  Send a message via Yahoo to mothman Send a message via AIM to mothman Send a message via MSN to mothman  
Old
  (#2)
cmac
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

09.13.2011, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mothman View Post
Im upgrading the bulkhead but not sure which one to get. Th FLM looks good but lack of easy access. The GH has the easy access but doesnt look like it is cnc machined. and from what I have read, the quality of the machining (the tolerance is a bit off). The flux diff doesn't really fit in it.

So between these two, which one would get? My main concern is the durability not so on the easy access..Anyone managed to break either of these bulkheads?
FLM all the way. I have the hybrid bulks and they are really great. If you build your diffs the right way then easy access really should not be a problem. For my truck I just have to remove the shock towers, undo the 4 screws to the main chassis and then the a-arms to get the bulks free. From there it is just three screws and I'm into my diffs. Very easy in my opinion.
Good luck.

Old
  (#3)
mothman
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

09.14.2011, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmac View Post
FLM all the way. I have the hybrid bulks and they are really great. If you build your diffs the right way then easy access really should not be a problem. For my truck I just have to remove the shock towers, undo the 4 screws to the main chassis and then the a-arms to get the bulks free. From there it is just three screws and I'm into my diffs. Very easy in my opinion.
Good luck.
Are you referring to the Savage bulkhead? was wondering since I saw your awesome custom emaxx build thread.
  Send a message via Yahoo to mothman Send a message via AIM to mothman Send a message via MSN to mothman  
Old
  (#4)
cmac
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

09.14.2011, 07:25 AM

I was referring to FLM in general. I just saw FLM on your post and did not see that you were referring to a Savage. So I'm sure the build quality comment will still apply, but as for the ease of access I don't know. Thanks for the compliment.

Old
  (#5)
FG101C
RC-Monster Aluminum

09.14.2011, 10:44 AM

They are very nice, my savage is all flm. The only complaint, and I found this out this weekend, is you have to use the outdrives flm sends with them. I broke one of the outdrives on mine and can't seem to find them online anywhere. They are smaller outer diameter to fit through the holes in the bulks. So what I had to do is use one of the stock SHD outdrives and assemble the diff in the bulk, I'm good as long as the ring gear side outdrive dosent break.

Old
  (#6)
mothman
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

09.14.2011, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FG101C View Post
They are very nice, my savage is all flm. The only complaint, and I found this out this weekend, is you have to use the outdrives flm sends with them. I broke one of the outdrives on mine and can't seem to find them online anywhere. They are smaller outer diameter to fit through the holes in the bulks. So what I had to do is use one of the stock SHD outdrives and assemble the diff in the bulk, I'm good as long as the ring gear side outdrive dosent break.
Do you really bash your truck or just racing and speed runs?
Old
  (#7)
Jony Nitro
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

09.14.2011, 04:41 PM

If any GH

D8T Brushless
Brushless Baja
SC10 Neu Power

Old
  (#8)
mothman
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

09.14.2011, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jony Nitro View Post
If any GH

Hey bud, any reason why GH?
Old
  (#9)
JThiessen
RC-Monster Brushless

09.14.2011, 10:28 PM

If you decide on FLM, shoot me a PM before you buy...Got a used set that I'd part with. Did a little modification on them to fit the Savage sway bar kit, but other than that they are clean.

Losi 8T 1.0, Savage Flux - XL style, LST XXL, Muggy, 3.3 E-Revo Conversion and sitting outside 425hp, 831 Tq Dodge Ram Turbo Diesel. It SMOKES

Old
  (#10)
Finnster
KillaHurtz

09.14.2011, 11:21 PM

The FLMs are really nice and high quality. I believe the GHs are cnc'd cast alu, but not 100%.

I doubt you can break the bulkheads easily. Sure some fool has done it at some point tho.
I'd be more worried about the added weight than bulkhead durability. As long as you are fine w/ that, you are gtg. Diffs are very solid in the FLM, so servicing should be minimal

Old
  (#11)
Jony Nitro
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

09.15.2011, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnster View Post
The FLMs are really nice and high quality. I believe the GHs are cnc'd cast alu, but not 100%.

I doubt you can break the bulkheads easily. Sure some fool has done it at some point tho.
I'd be more worried about the added weight than bulkhead durability. As long as you are fine w/ that, you are gtg. Diffs are very solid in the FLM, so servicing should be minimal
ah never new that so maybe the FLM,only said GH has I use some of it on my Baja

D8T Brushless
Brushless Baja
SC10 Neu Power