RC Monster

Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > RC-Monster Area > General Discussion

Off-topic: Something for home defense?
Old
  (#1)
BrianG
RC-Monster Admin

Off-topic: Something for home defense? - 08.22.2011, 09:53 PM

I've been looking for some kind of weapon for home defense. First, I was going to get a handgun, but after reading a bit about this topic, many people prefer a shorter shotgun instead. Makes sense really; not as much potential for overpenetration, ammo is pretty cheap, gun is pretty simple/basic and relatively inexpensive.

So, my question is; out of all the shotguns out there, does anyone have any personal experience? Off the top of my head, I'd want a shorter shotgun for some maneuverability, able to hold as many shells as possible, be reliable, and inexpensive. Any thoughts?
  Send a message via Yahoo to BrianG Send a message via MSN to BrianG  
Old
  (#2)
Arct1k
RC-Monster Mod

08.22.2011, 10:17 PM

Read this first...

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/nati...-shotguns.html

Old
  (#3)
JThiessen
RC-Monster Brushless

08.22.2011, 11:51 PM

You can find relatively inexpensive Remington (or other makes) of pump action shot guns with a 16 in barrell. Look at the price of shells before you buy to see what makes the most sense for you. Since your not a hunter, you wont go through shells much - but just in case you decide to try skeet shooting - which I would highly recommmend for you (and your other half) to get comfortable with the gun. I dont think you need a magnum, but many will fire all shells (they vary by length also).

Also, something that actually gets high reviews is a can of wasp/hornet spray. Doesn't play as well with our movie inspired vision of chambering a round in the dark and taking out a can of whoop ass on the dirtbag, but in reality its a pretty good product.

Losi 8T 1.0, Savage Flux - XL style, LST XXL, Muggy, 3.3 E-Revo Conversion and sitting outside 425hp, 831 Tq Dodge Ram Turbo Diesel. It SMOKES

Last edited by JThiessen; 08.22.2011 at 11:53 PM.

Old
  (#4)
whitrzac
Can't catch this...

08.23.2011, 12:04 AM

Guns can make people do stupid things.... IE shoot someone that only wanted your TV...

Old
  (#5)
E-Revonut
RC-Monster RC8T

08.23.2011, 12:24 AM

Remington 870, they're cheap, reliable, and the sound of a pump action even with no shells involved is enough to make most would be burglars $hit there pants. You could possibly never even buy shells, pump it if needed and if they come at you it's still a pretty good weapon as a bat. You can get a 16.5" barrell, I would opt for a smooth bore if you can find one and if you want to buy shells go for 00 buck shot. Buck shot won't go through several walls with deadly force like a slug would but will have more energy at 20' than basic birdshot will, however birdshot would be a less lethal force, if you where point blank or within 20' theres still a good chance it will be deadly. Although much more expensive, however if your only going to buy a couple and hope you never have to shoot them, you can also buy the bean bag rounds for a 12 gauge.

Personally I have a few hand guns and I have a carry permit so I usually already have one near me, the rest of my guns are in a steel security cabinet. If I had the opportunity to grab any of my guns in a situation where I needed one...I would grab my Remington 870 and leave the handguns alone.

Hope this helps

RC-Monster RC8T 1515 2.5D/MMM/5s RC-M 4500mah
SC10 MMPro 13.5T 2s NeuEnery 5000mah
RC18T Mamba 25/5400kv 2s lipo + 6s NiMh

Old
  (#6)
scarletboa
RC-Monster Aluminum

08.23.2011, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitrzac View Post
Guns can make people do stupid things.... IE shoot someone that only wanted your TV...
If somebody breaks into your house and is armed, it doesn't matter if they only want to steal a few things. That is their risk that they are taking and if they are breaking into peoples' houses to steal stuff, there is a good chance they are some kind of drug addict and those people are dangerous, especially when confronted. I believe we have every right to give a warning to get out immediately or be shot.

If somebody broke into my house in the middle of the night, the first thing I would do is grab my shotgun and if they don't retreat when they hear me coming, they will be shot. I would rather protect my family than take my chances with threatening to call the cops on them if they don't leave.

They say a good mechanic only needs 2 tools - WD40 & Duct tape. If it moves, and its not supposed to, duct tape. If it doesn't move, and its supposed to, WD40.

Old
  (#7)
JThiessen
RC-Monster Brushless

08.23.2011, 09:37 AM

Quote:
The stupid is the dimwit that decides to enter someone's home. Stupid is also anyone that believes they are going to be Rambo when they actually hear or know someone is in their house. Your hands are going to shaking, your hearts going to be in your throat, and your going to be overreactive.

Best to go run a mile and then practice your shooting.

Losi 8T 1.0, Savage Flux - XL style, LST XXL, Muggy, 3.3 E-Revo Conversion and sitting outside 425hp, 831 Tq Dodge Ram Turbo Diesel. It SMOKES

Old
  (#8)
TexasSP
Something, anything, nothing

08.23.2011, 11:32 AM

First things first for anyone I talk to buying a gun for self defense.

You have to accept the fact that one day you may use this gun to kill someone. You will be taking a life, albeit to protect yours and the lives of those you love, but you will be killing them none the less. I know two people that have killed someone and both cops in the line of duty. While both were right and both know this, it is not easy to deal with. Each person does this differently. My main point is to have you deal with this fact and to understand that if you are not ready to take that life, you have no business owning the gun.

That being said, the suggestions so far are right on, minus the one very naive one.

The remington 870 is a tried and true shotgun and can be found in a variety of different styles. They have a black model with composite stock and short barrel specifically for home defense. The winchester defender is another excellent model.

Me personally I like alternating buck shot with slugs in the chamber. If only one type though buck shot is your best bet.

Definitely get some practice in and get used to your gun. Nice thing about a pump action shotgun is that the sound of you chambering a round is very distinctive. Anyone with half a brain that hears that sound while breaking into your home will run away and not even bother.

Either way, if someone breaks into your home they deserve what's coming. I will not have anyone threaten mine or my families lives like that.

www.cubicle101.com
A friends comic strip website.

Old
  (#9)
suicideneil
They've been naughty boys, havent they Mr. Flibble

08.23.2011, 01:57 PM

Just make sure you keep it way out of reach of anyone who shouldn't get their hands on it- the number of children that shoot themselves or a sibling because their parents left a loaded gun lying around is terrifying. This shotgun comes highly recommended:

Send a message via MSN to suicideneil  
Old
  (#10)
cmac
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

08.23.2011, 03:45 PM

I have various handguns,and I have a permit to carry. I have a friend who is with SWAT,and when he was on regular patrol he worked a case where a gunman robbed a convient store clerk. The clerk had a loaded 44 magnum under the counter and was able to get the drop on the would be robber. He shot him point blank through hos chest. The gunman was able to run almost ten blocks before he fell over dead. The point is that a hand gun might buy you time,but they will not fall over dead like in the movies. I personally will use my Remington 870 pump gun. I also Leave the chamber empty so I can rack the shotgun. The first two rounds are slugs the rest isok buckshot. I would choose to fight with that over my 357mag,Barrett 9mm,my Glock 40s&w,or my Glock 357sig. If I had to choose between my family and a robber the robber is going to have a very bad day. I also recommend. Learning how to use it. I have had the fortune to shoot at the police academy training facility in north Houston and Rick learn how to shoot in stressful situations. From atone barrier. And in low light conditions. Nothing can prepare you for the real thing but it's better than going to the rang to shoot targets.

Old
  (#11)
whitrzac
Can't catch this...

08.23.2011, 04:25 PM

IRRC there are laws in place in most states that you can only use "lethal force" when someone's life is in danger... so if this burglar turns out to be unarmed, or you shoot them in the back, you go to prison for a loooong time...

Old
  (#12)
TexasSP
Something, anything, nothing

08.23.2011, 04:38 PM

Quote:
IRRC there are laws in place in most states that you can only use "lethal force" when someone's life is in danger... so if this burglar turns out to be unarmed, or you shoot them in the back, you go to prison for a loooong time...
Sorry, but one should be educated before making statements like you do.

Most states have castle laws which means if you are attempting to illegally enter or have illegally entered someone's property, they have the right to shoot and kill you. In Texas I can legally shoot you if you come over my fence.

I know very well what the laws are in my state as well as several others. Many concealed carry states also have reciprocal laws which allow you to carry concealed with your states license into their state.

To more directly address your first statement here it goes:

How do I know what the intentions are of the person breaking into my house? Should I be required to ask them first? Maybe they are only after my TV, or maybe they came to kidnap my children or rape my wife. You seem to think they have some intrinsic right to their life which supersedes my right to protect my family and my home. Sorry, I don't care what you broke into my house for, you will be shot and killed. The act of breaking into my house is illegal and you took your chances. If one doesn't want to be shot and killed, one shouldn't go breaking and entering.

As for cmac's comments about the robber running the person was either not shot in a vital area or was some type of narcotic. Maybe both. Either way, if you break into my house I will unload into you leaving no chance for you to live or run.

www.cubicle101.com
A friends comic strip website.

Old
  (#13)
cmac
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

08.23.2011, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSP View Post
Sorry, but one should be educated before making statements like you do.

Most states have castle laws which means if you are attempting to illegally enter or have illegally entered someone's property, they have the right to shoot and kill you. In Texas I can legally shoot you if you come over my fence.

I know very well what the laws are in my state as well as several others. Many concealed carry states also have reciprocal laws which allow you to carry concealed with your states license into their state.

To more directly address your first statement here it goes:

How do I know what the intentions are of the person breaking into my house? Should I be required to ask them first? Maybe they are only after my TV, or maybe they came to kidnap my children or rape my wife. You seem to think they have some intrinsic right to their life which supersedes my right to protect my family and my home. Sorry, I don't care what you broke into my house for, you will be shot and killed. The act of breaking into my house is illegal and you took your chances. If one doesn't want to be shot and killed, one shouldn't go breaking and entering.

As for cmac's comments about the robber running the person was either not shot in a vital area or was some type of narcotic. Maybe both. Either way, if you break into my house I will unload into you leaving no chance for you to live or run.
He was shot straight through the heart. I believe that he was on drugs though. It takes more time than you think to bleed out and if there is a mix of adrenalin and drugs they don't always go down, and yes you can defend your life anytime that you feel your life or your families life is in danger. It does not matter if you are at home or anywhere. I love living in TEXAS where law biding citizens are can defend themselves from people who don't follow the law.

Old
  (#14)
josh9mille
RC-Monster Aluminum

08.23.2011, 09:10 PM

The Mossburg 500 gets my vote. Its cheap and there is a ton of aftermarket support for it. My buddy has one outfitted with a folding stock, 18.5 inch barrel, minimag flashlight mount, and a sidemount shell holder.

And as far as shooting an intruder goes....make sure you kill the bastards and not just wound them! Dead people cant sue!

Built Ford tough, with Chevy stuff.

Old
  (#15)
BrianG
RC-Monster Admin

08.23.2011, 09:43 PM

Thanks for the input guys! So, it looks like the Remington 870 or Mossberg 500, 16" barrel, and buckshot is the winner. What about the amount of rounds these can take. I did a little reading and there was something about shorter barrels not being able to hold as many, but I'm not an enthusiast, so maybe they were talking about the barrel underneath? I just don't want to be forced to ask the burgler/rapist/murderer if they would be so kind as to rest a second while I reload. And what about gauge? Is 16G enough, or should I go to 12G?

I agree with most people here: if anyone breaks into my home, I am not going to wait and see what their "intentions" are before I act (that sounds like your typical liberal-thinking TBH; can't "offend" the douchebag even though he is clearly at fault). I will give them one warning and one warning only (the tell-tale sound of a shotgun shell being chambered). After that, it's go time. As far as I'm concerned, any intruder gave up any of their "rights" once they violated mine. I didn't break into their house, they broke into mine. And yes, I will make sure only one or two shots are taken and are lethal; it's too chancy otherwise because they perp could be drugged up on something. Besides, 1 or 2 shots is probably all I'll have time for before things get tight.

As far as safety is concerned, the gun will be used if I have time to take it down from my hiding area and remove safety (gotta make sure the kids don't hurt themselves). But for more immediate defense, a nice aluminum baseball bat by the bedstand should suffice in a pinch.

Normally, I wouldn't go to these extremes, but it seems like there are more and more crimes nearer where I live. I'm sure part of that is due to increased desperation from the economy, but I bet a lot still has to do with the fact that criminals are almost given more rights than the victims in our great court of law.
  Send a message via Yahoo to BrianG Send a message via MSN to BrianG