RC-Monster Forums  
RC Monster

Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > RC-Monster Area > General Discussion

Nothing for sale
Old
  (#1)
_paralyzed_
working on a brushless for my wheelchair.....

Nothing for sale - 09.19.2011, 03:44 PM

I just wanted to see a new thread that wasn't selling something. I haven't posted lately, but am always lurking.

I jizzed in my pants when I saw the losi 5t. Anyone wanna buy my e5b as a roller so I can throw my 2028 in a losi 5t?

And hpi just announced a 1/5 4wd short course, that looks like it will be electric?

Fifth scale is growing, and I'm happy to be on the bandwagon.

Peace brothers

It's "Dr. _paralyzed_" actually. Not like with a PhD, but Doctor like in Dr. Pepper.

Old
  (#2)
snellemin
2 KiloWatt RACER

09.19.2011, 04:15 PM

I skipped 5th scale and went big with my bicycle with a 56 pole Magic Pie motor and 26s2p A123.

I bought a RCM CRT.5 setup and just purchased the 1506 6800kv motor from Mike, so you'll see me posting up some stuff soon. I know, nothing gangster like some of you.

6 KiloWatt A123 Racer
GTP-Pletty Big Maxximum+RX8. GTP-C50-6L Hacker+RX8. CRT.5-Pro4+ZTW esc.
24s2p EVG SX 49.6mph Ebike.
18s4p Raptor 60mph Ebike. 11.5KW

Old
  (#3)
RC-Monster Mike
Site Owner

09.19.2011, 04:57 PM

I have an Electricmoto Blade(search 04 Blade on you tube and you can see a couple vids of the model bike I have) that I have been performing a lipo swap for(this is a 1:1 electric dirt bike that initially came with 48 volts of lead acid power).

I have built 4 individual 18.5 volt, 30AH battery modules that I hope to get installed on the bike in the next week or so - still working on an installation solution. The batteries will be wired in series for a 74 volt, 30AH setup. I am pretty excited to get it finished, too. It last ran this spring on 72volt lead batts(16AH, so about 8-9AH usable power at the required discharge rate), which was quite fun, but rather top heavy. The Lead batts dropped voltage down to 60 volts almost immediately during takeoff and slowly faded during a run. The new battery system is almost 50 pounds lighter and should yield about 4 times the usable capacity(not to mention about 12x the continuous discharge capacity). The lipos shouldn't drop voltage under load, either(each 5000mah, 25/50c pack will only see 50 amps).

The stock bike weighed about 165 pounds, but swelled to a little over 200 pounds with the extra 2 lead batteries(still light by dirt bike standards, but the weight was a bit high). The Lipo arrangement will get the weight back down to around 150 pounds with a much lower Cg. The speed controller and motor can output around 30HP in theory, though I pulled over 40HP peak with the Lead batterries(for a split second). This thing should handily spank my 300cc dirt bike when it is done. It makes almost no noise and is nice for stealthily blazing trails around my neighborhood. I am getting pretty excited to ride this thing again!

Last edited by RC-Monster Mike; 09.19.2011 at 08:46 PM.

Old
  (#4)
BrianG
RC-Monster Admin

09.19.2011, 05:23 PM

So Mike, when are you planning to stock some e-bike kits/components?
  Send a message via Yahoo to BrianG Send a message via MSN to BrianG  
Old
  (#5)
RC-Monster Mike
Site Owner

09.19.2011, 05:36 PM

I really hadn't considered stocking E-Bike stuff, though I certainly could make some components, etc. for the E-vehicle market.
I have considered making an electric-specific frame for a dirt bike/super moto for local travel and playtime. It is a considerable amount of work and time in the design phase. I may convert a full size dirt bike 1st(have been looking for a blown up kx125 in good shape for the project).
I am kind of a motorcycle junky - I ride my dirt bike pretty much every weekend as weather permits, but super moto is my latest "fix". A light weight, electric super moto would be killer(possibly using bicycle components to keep it light). I am actually working on a super moto setup for the blade, too (waiting for the rear hub so I can build new street oriented wheels).
I haven't really seen any E-Bicycle kits that float my boat, to be honest. I will make my own some day(though not sure I even want pedals to be honest).

Old
  (#6)
snellemin
2 KiloWatt RACER

09.19.2011, 05:37 PM

That is a sweet bike Mike. Post pics!

Like Brian asked, any thoughts on some RCM outrunner powered Ebike conversions. You still will be selling RC equipment that way and your battery sales might go up as well.

6 KiloWatt A123 Racer
GTP-Pletty Big Maxximum+RX8. GTP-C50-6L Hacker+RX8. CRT.5-Pro4+ZTW esc.
24s2p EVG SX 49.6mph Ebike.
18s4p Raptor 60mph Ebike. 11.5KW

Old
  (#7)
JThiessen
RC-Monster Brushless

09.19.2011, 07:13 PM

Mike, did you see these batteries?? http://www.rc-monster.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30060

Losi 8T 1.0, Savage Flux - XL style, LST XXL, Muggy, 3.3 E-Revo Conversion and sitting outside 425hp, 831 Tq Dodge Ram Turbo Diesel. It SMOKES

Old
  (#8)
RC-Monster Mike
Site Owner

09.19.2011, 07:58 PM

yes, I have seen the headways - no comparison to Lipos for energy density, though. The same capacity and voltage in headway cells would be 24lbs heavier, have less than half the discharge capability(though still plenty, though voltage will almost certainly drop more), and would require more space.
The Headways are nice in their own right, but I already had most of the packs needed to make my setup, and even if I only get 100 cycles, this would be a couple year's worth of runtime for a dirt bike(which is one of 2 dirtbikes and one of 4 motorcycles I use regularly). Even if I could run it twice every week for 1/2 the year, 100 cycles would yield 2 years of runtime. I should get way more than 100 cycles, and between RC, my other motorcycles, weather, and making a living, I doubt the bike will see 50 cycles per year - I should get a few years use easily.

battery modules
Old
  (#9)
RC-Monster Mike
Site Owner

battery modules - 09.19.2011, 08:01 PM

The battery modules I built have a similar form factor to the lead batteries - yet each module has 1.5x the voltage and almost 4x the usable capacity while weighing 3.5 pounds less. 4 modules also will replace 6 lead batts, yet the energy gain is even more significant than the weight loss(and both are very significant).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	18.5volt lipo module assembly kit.jpg
Views:	1033
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	10143   Click image for larger version

Name:	batterymodule.jpg
Views:	1013
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	10144   Click image for larger version

Name:	18.5volt lipo module assembled2.jpg
Views:	996
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	10145  

Last edited by RC-Monster Mike; 09.19.2011 at 08:36 PM.

Old
  (#10)
RC-Monster Mike
Site Owner

09.19.2011, 08:05 PM

The modules allow removal of any individual pack without disturbing any other pack. I can also balance charge each module, as the balance leads are exposed and can be connected in parallel with a 6-to-1 balance lead. I balance charged each pack individually before assembly and will balance charge each module every 5-10 cycle once on the bike.

Old
  (#11)
sikeston34m
RC-Monster Brushless

09.19.2011, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC-Monster Mike View Post
yes, I have seen the headways - no comparison to Lipos for energy density, though. The same capacity and voltage in headway cells would be 24lbs heavier, have less than half the discharge capability(though still plenty, though voltage will almost certainly drop more), and would require more space.
The Headways are nice in their own right, but I already had most of the packs needed to make my setup, and even if I only get 100 cycles, this would be a couple year's worth of runtime for a dirt bike(which is one of 2 dirtbikes and one of 4 motorcycles I use regularly). Even if I could run it twice every week for 1/2 the year, 100 cycles would yield 2 years of runtime. I should get way more than 100 cycles, and between RC, my other motorcycles, weather, and making a living, I doubt the bike will see 50 cycles per year - I should get a few years use easily.
I like my 4S4P Headway setup. SLA was only lasting my trolling setup about 2 years, then had to replace them.

The headway setup is light enough to carry around and use for AC inverter duty, plus I'm looking forward to 10+ years of use.

They say 80% capacity retention at 2000 cycles. I'll report back in 10 years LOL

Last edited by sikeston34m; 09.19.2011 at 09:33 PM.

Old
  (#12)
sikeston34m
RC-Monster Brushless

09.19.2011, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC-Monster Mike View Post
The battery modules I built have a similar form factor to the lead batteries - yet each module has 1.5x the voltage and almost 4x the usable capacity while weighing 3.5 pounds less. 4 modules also will replace 6 lead batts, yet the energy gain is even more significant than the weight loss(and both are very significant).
Very nice battery setup Mike! Those are Hyperions, aren't they?

You should get more than 100 cycles with Hyperion Quality.

I really like the boxes.

I wish someone would come up with a massive multiple cell holder for 18650's. It would be nice to re-create the Tesla Roadster setup.

The world record holder for longest distance traveled on a single charge was an EV project created by a Tech Class in Japan.

The small car traveled over 800 miles on a single charge.

Old
  (#13)
RC-Monster Mike
Site Owner

09.19.2011, 10:51 PM

Yes, the packs are Hyperion 25/50c 5s 5000mah - 24 of them altogether. I should easily get a few hundred cycles out of them as they will only max out at 10c discharge and won't be over-charged or over-discharged. I don't plan on beating this bike into the ground, either(my other dirtbike takes a thrashing, though!).
The boxes took a few days to engineer and a couple days to build - making them again would be much easier of course. I had to re-engineer a few things as I progressed through. I like the system, though and will modify sizes and utilize the same strategy more in the future now that I have a good grasp of the processes.
It can't be that hard to make a multi-cell holder for the Headways, can it? Seems like building something that could easily "stack" would be best for huge packs or small packs.

Old
  (#14)
sikeston34m
RC-Monster Brushless

09.19.2011, 11:19 PM

You were talking about balancing each pack of the 30ah module. Wouldn't it be easiest to parallel the balancing tabs?

Then each of the 6 parallel packs would equalize to each other at all times plus you could balance all 6 as a unit.

This could serve to increase the life of the module.

Old
  (#15)
pinkpanda3310
RC-Monster Titanium

09.20.2011, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikeston34m View Post
You were talking about balancing each pack of the 30ah module. Wouldn't it be easiest to parallel the balancing tabs?

Then each of the 6 parallel packs would equalize to each other at all times plus you could balance all 6 as a unit.

This could serve to increase the life of the module.
I thought he said he uses a 6 to 1 balance lead?? That means they will eqalize during charging (as a module) and still be easy to assemble/dissassemble.

Very nice project Mr Monster