RC Monster

Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > RC-Monster Area > General Discussion

Tire glue...help
Old
  (#1)
lincpimp
Check out my huge box!

Tire glue...help - 03.09.2011, 09:55 PM

Ok, so I have to glue some tires. I hate doing this.

New rims, and used tires, but the beads are in decent shape.

I know to wipe off the wheels, hit them with a scuff pad and wipe em again. Cleanliness is next to pimpiness, dawg!

And I guess I will do the same to the used tires, most if not all of the old ca is off them.

My main question is what tire glue should I go with? I like to use the thin stuff when gluing new tires, but thinking that a med (gap filling) ca would be better for the used tires... maybe?

Also, since I do not have a decent lhs, is there a ca product sold at the hardware store that I can substitue for the "hobby branded" ca glues? I know crazy glue is basically really thin CA, and I have been using it recently (cause it was in the fridge and had not gone bad). I really do not want to order glue and then end up with some 6 month old crap that has all but gone off.

Old
  (#2)
bdebde
That's All Folks!

03.09.2011, 10:06 PM

I find the AKA tire glue to be about the best. If you need something thicker, I like the black "rc branded" stuff.

Old
  (#3)
Bondonutz
Fat Kid Engineering

03.09.2011, 10:07 PM

I've glued hundreds of tires over the years and have tried all the CA's availible and I'm happiest with ZAP brand glue. Try to clean up the tire bead best as possible with a small sanding drum and clean with alcohol or brake/carb cleaner. It's a great solvent and dries super fast but since you own a shop any of the reducers will do the same. The thin CA should be fine, use some rubber bands to hold tires firmly to rims till the CA sets up.

Hope this helps

I retired from RC, now life is all about guns and long range shooting.

Old
  (#4)
What's_nitro?
Soldermaster Extraordinaire

03.09.2011, 10:08 PM

It's a good idea to wipe both surfaces with alcohol (after the initial wipe/scuff/wipe) to make sure no residues are there to interfere with the CA glue.

I would stick with the thin CA glue. The medium/thick CA will not wick into the joint between the rim and tire. Krazy Glue works good for me, too. Even the $0.50 little metal tubes of super glue at Walmart work fine. CA is CA.

I am faster than Buzz Lightyear.

Old
  (#5)
TexasSP
Something, anything, nothing

03.09.2011, 10:16 PM

I use CA with a rubberizing compound for gluing tires. It has worked best for me and I know several local guys who use it when cutting and resizing crawler tires.

www.cubicle101.com
A friends comic strip website.

Old
  (#6)
lincpimp
Check out my huge box!

03.09.2011, 11:40 PM

Thanks for the input guys. I will have to hit up ace and see what they have to offer.

Old
  (#7)
E-Revonut
RC-Monster RC8T

03.10.2011, 12:35 AM

I have a LHS 10 minutes from me. If you ever want CA I can get it and will ship it to you at cost. Not looking to make money but I will gladly help out any of the RC-monster family that I can

RC-Monster RC8T 1515 2.5D/MMM/5s RC-M 4500mah
SC10 MMPro 13.5T 2s NeuEnery 5000mah
RC18T Mamba 25/5400kv 2s lipo + 6s NiMh

Old
  (#8)
simplechamp
RC-Monster Titanium

03.10.2011, 08:06 AM

I have always used Insta-Flex+ rubberized CA from Bob Smith Industries. They are a US-based company started by a RC plane hobbyist. I threw some into my cart the first time I ordered from HK a few years back and have been using it ever since. Works excellently, enough that I've never really bothered to try any other tire glues. If it ain't broke... plus if I can support a US company while still ordering from HK all the better!

http://www.bsi-inc.com/Pages/hobby/ca.html

Caster Fusion F8T - Serpent 811Be - Jammin X2 carbon e-GT conversion - Axial SCX10

Last edited by simplechamp; 03.10.2011 at 08:22 AM.

Gorilla
Old
  (#9)
JERRY2KONE
JERRY2KONE SUPERMAXX

Gorilla - 03.10.2011, 09:15 AM

Hey James try using the "Gorilla" brand superglue. It is a bit thicker than regular CA glue and seems to hold up better from my experience. I still have a few sets of glued tires around, but most of our collection is beadlocks now. The glued tires are still holding though.

SUPERMAXX YOUR LIFE.

Old
  (#10)
lincpimp
Check out my huge box!

03.10.2011, 10:30 AM

Alrighty!!! Good info fellas, keep it coming!

I have quite a few tires to glue so I will see what the local hardware store has and try a few different products.

Old
  (#11)
mothman
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

03.10.2011, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplechamp View Post
I have always used Insta-Flex+ rubberized CA from Bob Smith Industries. They are a US-based company started by a RC plane hobbyist. I threw some into my cart the first time I ordered from HK a few years back and have been using it ever since. Works excellently, enough that I've never really bothered to try any other tire glues. If it ain't broke... plus if I can support a US company while still ordering from HK all the better!

http://www.bsi-inc.com/Pages/hobby/ca.html
Simplechamp, I believe that IC-2000, earlier version of insta flex+ is stronger and more flexible because it has more rubber. The only drawback with IC-2000 is just the color, its black. Bob Smith came out with the insta flex+ which is clear so that people can use this just like other CA.
  Send a message via Yahoo to mothman Send a message via AIM to mothman Send a message via MSN to mothman