RC Monster

Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > Support Forums > Crawlers/Scale Vehicles

My new crawler!
Old
  (#1)
What's_nitro?
Soldermaster Extraordinaire

Talking My new crawler! - 11.29.2008, 01:18 AM

It's official- I finally bought myself a rock crawler kit!

I was going to buy a Kyosho Rockforce solely based on the fact that it had worm drive axles. However, I went on to Amainhobbies and put it in my shopping cart and by the time I clicked "continue" it was showing out of stock! I could've back-ordered it, but then I couldn't use the 10% off code(?).

So, I bought this instead. It includes everything pictured except the tires, which I have.

And two of these:

I think I got the last two Sidewinders... Sorry guys! Now all I need are the two motors/pinions and a good steering servo. Oh, and a body!

Do you guys have any suggestions? As I am COMPLETELY new to crawling, I'm open to all opinions! I was thinking of using two HH Crawlmaster outrunners, since I just got one for my Blizzard and it's great (thanks JRH)! The Sidewinders are limited to 3s (right?) so 3s it will be. The HHCm's are 1000kV, so it'll be ~11,000 rpm WOT. The trannys have a 36.67:1 ratio which makes it ~300 rpm at the wheels. With a 4.5" tire that means a 4 mph top speed. My only question (right now) is: How are the Sidewinders at low speed compared to the MM, or, the MMM?

I am faster than Buzz Lightyear.

Last edited by What's_nitro?; 11.29.2008 at 01:21 AM.

Old
  (#2)
dirt101
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

11.29.2008, 08:33 AM

what crawler is that.

rustler, lx2e, xxt cr

Old
  (#3)
lincpimp
Check out my huge box!

11.29.2008, 12:37 PM

Enroute Berg....

The sidewinders are great for crawling. I run one with an 833kv outrunner on 3s in my 2.2 rig. It is geared 16/54 (32p) and still has great startup despite the tallish gearing and lower motor speed. The sidewinder is very smooth. I will suggest to run a ccbec and remove the red wires from the sidewinder. The bec is a bit weal for a crawler servo, plus you want at least 6v going to the servo.

Old
  (#4)
johnrobholmes
RC-Monster Aluminum

11.29.2008, 04:29 PM

A brushed motor would be better suited, since the motors are easily hit by rocks on that kit. A 55t motor on 3s works very well with stock gearing.

---JRH---

Old
  (#5)
BL_RV0
RC-Monster Dual Brushless

11.29.2008, 05:53 PM

Nice.

Get me back into RC!
  Send a message via Yahoo to BL_RV0 Send a message via AIM to BL_RV0 Send a message via MSN to BL_RV0  
Old
  (#6)
What's_nitro?

11.29.2008, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincpimp View Post
Enroute Berg....

The sidewinders are great for crawling. I run one with an 833kv outrunner on 3s in my 2.2 rig. It is geared 16/54 (32p) and still has great startup despite the tallish gearing and lower motor speed. The sidewinder is very smooth. I will suggest to run a ccbec and remove the red wires from the sidewinder. The bec is a bit weal for a crawler servo, plus you want at least 6v going to the servo.
Do you think a 1000kV would be too fast? I suppose I could go down a tooth on the pinion... I have a CCBEC that I can use, but I was thinking that the combined force (lol) of both of the SW BECs would handle the servo(?).

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrobholmes View Post
A brushed motor would be better suited, since the motors are easily hit by rocks on that kit. A 55t motor on 3s works very well with stock gearing.
I reeeaaallly want to run brushless! I was going to make up some SS skid plates to cover the motor up. I'd probably do that even with brushed motors. I might get a couple of cheap brushed motors just to test with first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BL_RV0 View Post
Nice.
I know...

Old
  (#7)
johnrobholmes
RC-Monster Aluminum

11.30.2008, 02:19 PM

1000kv is just right, many guys run faster motors still. I run 1800kv motors on 3s (brushed).

---JRH---

Old
  (#8)
What's_nitro?

11.30.2008, 08:34 PM

Do you think I would benefit from running 4s with an ~800kV motor? More torque obviously, but any better control? Can the SW FETs handle 4s if the internal BEC is bypassed?

Looking at the side view of the truck, and after watching some videos of it, I have determined that a major performance increase can be seen if bent lower links are used. Anyone know where I can get some? How long are the lower links?- I can't find the info anywhere... If I knew that I could go on RC4WD and buy some bent links right now.

Old
  (#9)
lucias
RC-Monster Aluminum

11.30.2008, 08:39 PM

What is the advantage of running the dual motors on the axle? I am just looking at getting a crawler and confused by a lot of things.. The whole dig things confuses me and worm axles??? I need to find a newb explanation sight.. I really like the look the wrekluse chassis..

Old
  (#10)
What's_nitro?

11.30.2008, 08:51 PM

Dual motors:

1: The obvious one, MORE POWER!
2: More weight. Better traction.
3: Having that weight ON the axles, even BETTER traction due to lower center of gravity.

DIG:

1: Allows the rear axle to lock completely, so that when you turn the front wheels while on power the truck will pivot around the rear tires.
2: This lets you turn very sharply to get through tight spaces.

Worm Gear axles:

1: Awesome.
2: Smoother than standard gear driven axles.
3: Cannot be back-driven. (If you stop on a hill, and have no brakes, the truck wont roll back down.)
4: HIGHER gear redution ratio in a MUCH smaller package compared to standard gears.

I hope that answered some of your questions. That Wreckluse tube chassis is pretty sweet!

Old
  (#11)
lucias
RC-Monster Aluminum

11.30.2008, 09:44 PM

Thanks for the explanations.. All of my friends have AX10's..

Would I better off getting a berg or something in comparison with dual motor the for the lower cog and power?

Old
  (#12)
johnrobholmes
RC-Monster Aluminum

12.01.2008, 12:39 PM

I have some bent links that work on the berg.

The sidewinder takes 4s I know. You won't have any advantage over 1000kv on 3s, just more battery to deal with.

---JRH---

Old
  (#13)
lucias
RC-Monster Aluminum

12.01.2008, 12:43 PM

How does a dig work with a berg? Is it all electronic? turning off one motor? So many questions.. LOL I wish some had one around here i could look at and ask endless questions

Old
  (#14)
lincpimp
Check out my huge box!

12.01.2008, 01:17 PM

Dig depends on what type motors you run.

If you run a pair of bl motors and escs the dig is controlled by the radio settings.

If you run a pair of brushed motors and a pair of escs the dig is also controlled by the radio settings.

If you run a pair of brushed motors and a single esc you can control the dig with a microswitch and a servo. You still need a 3rd channel on the radio, but it is cheaper than a full option 4-6 channel stick radio.

Old
  (#15)
What's_nitro?

12.01.2008, 10:21 PM

A couple pics:

Proline M2 Flat Iron tires with saw-cut foams.

JRH: I don't see those bent links on your site, are they yours personally? 'Have any pics of them?