RC-Monster Forums  
RC Monster

Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > Questions and Answers > General Questions

lipo charginng times
Old
  (#1)
anthony213

Question lipo charginng times - 01.17.2010, 02:32 AM

i have a set of 2s5100 polyrc lipos and both of them take about three hours to charge . is that normal ? if so, i need to get a new charger and power supply with higher charging capabilities .

Old
  (#2)
E-Revonut
RC-Monster RC8T

01.17.2010, 09:21 AM

What charger and balancer are you using? Even a 50w charger should be doing those packs in 1 hr each. My Hyperion 0606i ac/dc is a 50w charger with a built in power supply and will charge a 2s pack at 6amps so even a 6000mah pack would be done in an hr at A 1C charge rate. For those packs to take 3 hours your charging at less than 2amps or the balancer is doing something wrong. One thing I have learned is that a good charger is well worth the money, I have the Hyperion I already mentioned and a duo, both are great chargers with built in balancers and do just about everything. They may not be the cheapest chargers but I have never heard of anyone having any issues with them or with their lipos burning up while charging with a Hyperion. We spend tons on the lipos and the vehicles they go in so a decent charger is a must!

RC-Monster RC8T 1515 2.5D/MMM/5s RC-M 4500mah
SC10 MMPro 13.5T 2s NeuEnery 5000mah
RC18T Mamba 25/5400kv 2s lipo + 6s NiMh

Old
  (#3)
anthony213

reply - 01.17.2010, 05:09 PM

i have the hyperion eos 5idp with lba10 balancer ,its the ac/dc charger .

Old
  (#4)
beaufort12

01.18.2010, 03:29 PM

Hi,

the hyperion eos 5idp is able to charge to a max of 5 Amps - so it should take nearly 1 hour. You should charge them with a minimum of 1 Amp. otherwise the hyperion eos 5idp will probably stop after 66 minutes and the lipos are only charged 1/3.

Old
  (#5)
anthony213

reply - 01.18.2010, 06:53 PM

the charger starts out at 5 amps but as it charges and the mah gets higher the amps start to drop on there own .

Old
  (#6)
Unsullied_Spy
RC-Monster Titanium

01.19.2010, 05:54 AM

I had a 5i for about 3 years and while it is a good charger, it takes a while to charge being a low wattage charger. It should be charging those 2s packs in about 90 minutes though, it still has enough wattage to maintain 5 amps all the way through the CC part of the charge. Are you saying it takes 3 hours to charge both of them or 3 hours each? 3 hours for both is typical for a 1C charge rate due to the CV phase of the charge, 3 hours for 1 battery means something is wrong. I replaced mine with a 1210I and have been charging "1C" charge rate lipos like my Rhino 2150 packs at 1.5 and 2 C without a problem and they get done in under an hour (and you can set it to only charge to 80%, which cuts a LOT of time off the charge if you're in a hurry).

All I ever wanted was an honest weeks pay for an honest days work.
  Send a message via AIM to Unsullied_Spy Send a message via MSN to Unsullied_Spy  
Old
  (#7)
anthony213

Cool reply - 01.19.2010, 09:41 AM

it takes just over 180 minutes to charge each lipo , it also does the same thing with my true rc 2s5000 lipos . yea i think its time to get a 720 i net and power supply . thats just to long to wait for these things to charge up .

Old
  (#8)
BrianG
RC-Monster Admin

01.19.2010, 10:13 AM

That does sound odd. Since it is starting at the proper 5A, I wonder if the built-in power supply is not functioning right. Does this charger also have a 12vDC input? Maybe you could try it hooked to a car battery and see if it still takes the same time.
  Send a message via Yahoo to BrianG Send a message via MSN to BrianG  
Old
  (#9)
suicideneil
They've been naughty boys, havent they Mr. Flibble

01.19.2010, 01:20 PM

Sounds possibly like its getting stuck in the CV stage, taking forever to acheive a perfect balance via the lba10.. ?
  Send a message via MSN to suicideneil  
Old
  (#10)
J57ltr
RC-Monster Aluminum

01.19.2010, 06:17 PM

I don't have the same charger but I have accidently set my charger to Lion and it would act as you describe and take about the same time. It would start charging and would hit the Cv then drop slowly usually until it timed out depending on SOC.

Jeff

The Warnings & Cautions discussed in this manual cant cover all possible conditions/situations. It must be understood that common sense and caution are factors which cant be built into this product.

Old
  (#11)
BrianG
RC-Monster Admin

01.19.2010, 06:21 PM

Could also be cells that are enough out of balance to cause the charger to drop back the current to give them time to equalize. That is assuming you are using the data cable between the charger and LBA...
  Send a message via Yahoo to BrianG Send a message via MSN to BrianG