RC Monster

Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > RC-Monster Area > General Discussion

New Ride...
Old
  (#1)
E-Revonut
RC-Monster RC8T

New Ride... - 02.24.2011, 11:03 PM

Well you guys here are my family as well so I figured I'd share this with you guys.

2011 Subaru Impreza 2.5i premium 5 door. Power moonroof, heated seats-mirrors-wipers, ipod controls, bluetooth connectivity, and a 5 SPEED!!!!

I stepped way outside my box with this purchase. I'm a pretty diehard Ford guy,very pro American, and I'm a truck guy. The reality of what I wanted and what I needed coupled with gas prices has hit me. Awhile ago I downgraded from an F-150 to an Explorer Sport Trac, hoping for better gas mileage and a better ride. The F-150 in the long run rode better and had a better 4x4 system and the mileage I gained with the sport trac was minimal. The only thing I ever put in the bed of the sport trac was my RC tote, easy up, and a cooler. Long story short....15MPG sucks!!!

I knew I wanted to keep my awd/4x4 capabilities but needed better milage. The only AWD American car I considered was a awd Ford Fusion, new they run about $29K, a 2008-2009 with average mileage is going for about $19k locally, however the epa rating is only 17/22. That led me to Subaru. I know a few people that have them and they love them. Never heard anyone talk poorly about them. After some research, I found that they have a great reliabilty history and have a pretty good resale value.

I've only had it since this morning but I'm having a blast driving it, it's been awhile since I have truly had fun driving. Best part is that so far I'm averaging 25MPG while "having fun" with very little highway driving, I'm sure i can milk it and average the 27 that they say for highway mileage

RC-Monster RC8T 1515 2.5D/MMM/5s RC-M 4500mah
SC10 MMPro 13.5T 2s NeuEnery 5000mah
RC18T Mamba 25/5400kv 2s lipo + 6s NiMh

Old
  (#2)
brainanator
RC-Monster Aluminum

02.24.2011, 11:33 PM

I have to say I'm a fan of Subarus. My boss let me borrow one from...85 I think, still ran like a champ on over 220k miles. (tranny was just starting to get bad on it)
I had a better time driving it than what I drive....can't wait to graduate with my BS, get a job, and buy a nice 2000+ subaru.
Glad you like it, and congrats on the purchase

OFNA Jammin CRT.5e, Savage Flux HP, MBX5Te, SCX10, Multirotors, foam planes
  Send a message via Yahoo to brainanator Send a message via MSN to brainanator  
Old
  (#3)
reno911
Smelly Nitro meet your maker!

02.25.2011, 12:10 PM

Im envious....

Turbo?

Old
  (#4)
ikpthegame
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

02.25.2011, 01:54 PM

no turbo on that one, the wrx and sti have turbos

Old
  (#5)
Semi Pro
RC-Monster Titanium

02.25.2011, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikpthegame View Post
no turbo on that one, the wrx and sti have turbos
ikpthegame has a wrx, they are fun as long as you dont want to work on one or ever talk to anyone from a subuaru forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semi Pro View Post
......maybe they want to be more like novak
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianG View Post
I'm telling Patrick you said that!

Old
  (#6)
E-Revonut
RC-Monster RC8T

02.25.2011, 10:33 PM

No turbo, WRX would have been nice but it's another $6K. This has plenty of power to have fun with, esspecially in the 6-10" of snow we just got today! It's also better in the snow than my explorer ever was

Old
  (#7)
phatmonk
RC carbon junkie

02.26.2011, 12:41 AM

I want one.I had a 95 Legacy and loved it till it died 275,000 miles later.The AWD system always worked very well.And the Boxer engines are cool too.

SC8-E RCM MMM CC 1717
Slash 4x4 MMP CC SC 2400
SC RC8BE MMP Neu Tekno 1512/2D
Mugen MBX6 Eco MMP Neu Tekno 1515/1.5D

Old
  (#8)
BIG-block

02.26.2011, 07:03 AM

I haven't driven that particular model but I have driven plenty of Subaru cars over the last 14 years and have to say that I have always been pretty impressed with them. I worked on numerous WRX versions but also on Legacy, Liberty, Forester and many more (not sure if you have those models in the US). WRX are great little fun cars. Lots of low down torque from the boxer motor and the AWD system was very forgiving even when pushing the car to the edge. Build quality is excellent. The non turbo Impreza is like a little brother that is just as good in most ways but the power level. Still even then I wouldn't call them weak.

About the only downside to one of these cars is the engine bay. Not very mechanic friendly. The layout of the boxer engine puts the engine it self very low in the engine bay (great for handling) and all the ancillaries piled on top. It's only a big deal in the turbo models and if you are going to do a lot of modifying. If it's a non turbo model and you are going to leave it alone then it really isn't a big deal at all. I think you will do great with that car man. Congrats and enjoy.

Old
  (#9)
Rnemhrd
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

02.26.2011, 08:22 AM

Nice ride E. I was talking to a guy at work who was looking for a car about different subarus. I like that body and color. Good choice. If I did'nt have the harley to tool around on in summer my trailblazer would prolly have to go, all though I can't seem to get more than 35mpg out of it on avarage. I would get one of those living around here in a second. Has to be fun to drive.MAy stop in at wally's world to get some motor spray. maybe I'll see it in person.

Last edited by Rnemhrd; 02.26.2011 at 08:24 AM.

Old
  (#10)
E-Revonut
RC-Monster RC8T

02.27.2011, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnemhrd View Post
Nice ride E. I was talking to a guy at work who was looking for a car about different subarus. I like that body and color. Good choice. If I did'nt have the harley to tool around on in summer my trailblazer would prolly have to go, all though I can't seem to get more than 35mpg out of it on avarage. I would get one of those living around here in a second. Has to be fun to drive.MAy stop in at wally's world to get some motor spray. maybe I'll see it in person.
I'll be at Walt's next Saturday for racing on the carpet oval.

This car is a blast to drive, I've almost been having too much fun. I need to start watching my speed better, it's kind of like driving a go-cart!

Old
  (#11)
trev3813
Dsm needed

02.27.2011, 11:53 PM

I love my suby <3
  Send a message via AIM to trev3813 Send a message via MSN to trev3813  
Old
  (#12)
DrKnow65
RC-Monster Aluminum

02.28.2011, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG-block View Post
About the only downside to one of these cars is the engine bay. Not very mechanic friendly. The layout of the boxer engine puts the engine it self very low in the engine bay (great for handling) and all the ancillaries piled on top. It's only a big deal in the turbo models and if you are going to do a lot of modifying. If it's a non turbo model and you are going to leave it alone then it really isn't a big deal at all. I think you will do great with that car man. Congrats and enjoy.
Totally disagree about the mechanic friendly part. I do alot of work on the subaru's that seem to be VERY popular here in the ski towns.
I can have the motor out and on a stand in an hour and 15 minutes. The motor is modular, so the harness stays on it. I can swap a clutch in less than 3 hours. Wouldn't call that unfriendly.

Only concern with them are the head gaskets (seem to go at ~150K), easy fix is to swap the bolts for ARP studs. But who wants to spend the money preventing damage
I think there should be a class action lawsuit against subaru for not fixing the problem 10 model years ago...

If I could only draw what I see in my head, then afford to build it, and finaly get to play with it...

Nice score.
Old
  (#13)
JERRY2KONE
JERRY2KONE SUPERMAXX

Nice score. - 02.28.2011, 02:52 AM

Nice score on the new ride E-revo. It looks very European in styling, and has a somewhat sporty look to it as well. Glad to hear that it handles well and that you are enjoying your purchase with pride. I have had many different brand names in my years of driving, but have not had a Subaru just yet. I to have tried to stay true to the American market in support of our economy with mostly US spec cars, but have had an Izuzu Trooper, a Saab 9000 while living in Scotland back in the 80's. With gas now hitting $100 a barrel and rising with expectations of $120 a barrel an economy ride is a good choice. I feel the days of $3.50 a gallon are over even for the USA, and for what the rest of the world pays per gallon/liter its only going to get worse over the next year or so.

Thank God we have a very good public transport system here in Europe and aside from using our new van for much more than a couple trips a week around town we will be pretty limited. We will more than likely take shopping trips to Germany once every 6 to 8 weeks just to get our groceries from a military Commisarry store, which according to our friends will run us about $80a trip just in gas. Our van boasts 23mpg for highway, so hopefully we will do OK, plus we may share the ride with friends so we can split the fuel costs.

Anyway nice new ride. Good luck with that.

SUPERMAXX YOUR LIFE.

Old
  (#14)
PBO
RC-Unobtainium

02.28.2011, 04:04 PM

Nice wheels

I enjoyed my Subaru immensely & would have one again any day

Enhanced Rustler 1515 1.5 MMM
Losi 8ight-T

Old
  (#15)