RC-Monster Forums  
RC Monster

Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > Support Forums > HPI Savage

Old
  (#16)
Muggydude
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

12.01.2010, 07:06 PM

I personally wouldn't get the plastic. Spur. I really haven't seen or heard anyone have problems with it as long as you set your mesh right. Also, make sure you get offset rims for tires. Much more stable. Also, you might want to try to pick up some white springs, 45 weight oil, and use those with the large tube for the shocks. Much better than stock for bashing and jumping. Make sure you zip tie the front and rear bumper braces together so the hinge pins don't fall out. Last thing, fing a thicker, longer screw and replace the front bumper screws with them (drill out the holes) the stock ones are very weak and will break.

R.I.P. Muggy, Rustler, VXL Slash
EFlite Blade MSR Heli (Slightly modded)
1/16 BL E-revo
8-t 2.0, OS Vspec with Speed conrod
Carbon Fiber Revo 3.3 Coversion Madness!

Old
  (#17)
E-Revonut
RC-Monster RC8T

12.01.2010, 11:18 PM

Well I already ordered a 49T plastic spur and a 17T pinion. I know mesh is everything, I have run steel spur on my truggy with no issues, also ran plastic with no issues. There's no denying the plastic is quieter, but I also think that they make it a little smoother too. I don't plan on offset wheels, I wanted a MT not a truggy. Handling isn't everything, part of the fun of a MT is the lack of complete control.

I do thank you for the other tips though.

RC-Monster RC8T 1515 2.5D/MMM/5s RC-M 4500mah
SC10 MMPro 13.5T 2s NeuEnery 5000mah
RC18T Mamba 25/5400kv 2s lipo + 6s NiMh

Old
  (#18)
thzero
RC-Monster Aluminum

12.01.2010, 11:37 PM

By no stretch of the imagination will "offset" wheels cause the Savage to be anything other than a MT. It will NOT "truggify" it at all. Even with offsets and the XL axles my Savages (nitro and brushless) handle tons worse than my RC8T that doesn't have offset wheels.

Offset wheels, XL axles, XL chassis, and any combination thereof is best left to individual preferences. A certain individual here found he enjoyed the stock length/width over the XL length/width in his Flux.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Revonut View Post
I don't plan on offset wheels, I wanted a MT not a truggy. Handling isn't everything, part of the fun of a MT is the lack of complete control.

Old
  (#19)
josh9mille
RC-Monster Aluminum

12.02.2010, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thzero View Post
A certain individual here found he enjoyed the stock length/width over the XL length/width in his Flux.
Speaking of idiots, where has he been lately?

Built Ford tough, with Chevy stuff.

Old
  (#20)
thzero
RC-Monster Aluminum

12.02.2010, 12:35 AM

Maybe he sold his Flux and bought a 4x4 Stampede?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh9mille View Post
Speaking of idiots, where has he been lately?

Old
  (#21)
Muggydude
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

12.02.2010, 02:18 AM

Who likes rolling over all the time? It's post fun when all four wheels are on the ground, or doing a backflip

R.I.P. Muggy, Rustler, VXL Slash
EFlite Blade MSR Heli (Slightly modded)
1/16 BL E-revo
8-t 2.0, OS Vspec with Speed conrod
Carbon Fiber Revo 3.3 Coversion Madness!

Old
  (#22)
rcobscession
RC-Monster Stock

Thumbs up 12.04.2010, 12:37 AM

I'm new to this forum but definitely not brushless rc and especially not the savage flux. I have to say i run my flux hard and i have never felt the need to go plastic on the spur nor have i heard of anyone using correct mesh needing to go plastic. I actually still have the original stock 20t pinion still going strong. Also i had my flux at xl length and width and it lost almost all of its "nimbleness" it had to it so my solution was to go back to stock length while leaving the flm extended arms on. It doesn't flip, handles well, and still feels like it did when i bought it.

Old
  (#23)
josh9mille
RC-Monster Aluminum

12.04.2010, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcobscession View Post
I'm new to this forum but definitely not brushless rc and especially not the savage flux. I have to say i run my flux hard and i have never felt the need to go plastic on the spur nor have i heard of anyone using correct mesh needing to go plastic. I actually still have the original stock 20t pinion still going strong. Also i had my flux at xl length and width and it lost almost all of its "nimbleness" it had to it so my solution was to go back to stock length while leaving the flm extended arms on. It doesn't flip, handles well, and still feels like it did when i bought it.
You must have the only bulletproof pinion gear in the world lol. Or maybe your definition of running hard is different than everyone elses? So far my plastic spur has been holding up good and my pinion still looks like it did when i installed it.

Built Ford tough, with Chevy stuff.

Old
  (#24)
E-Revonut
RC-Monster RC8T

12.04.2010, 02:00 PM

Pinions do wear out, I have one pinion from my truggy that you can see the wear on from the spur, after a year of racing. Pinions no matter how hard, if running against an equally hard spur will wear out quicker, they spin about 3-5 times more than the spur. My primary reason for switching to pastic is that I'm lowering the gearing and plastic spurs are cheaper, but also I do like that they are a bit quieter and smoother.

Back on track though, on my impressions of the flux. I have had it a couple weeks now. Last year I got a E-Maxx at this same time. So the running I have done is similar. I like that I have yet to break anything on the truck. On the downside though, I know have another truck that I have to order all parts for. I had to order from Tower earlier in the week to get gears to change the gearing. So when I do eventually break something I have to order and wait to fix it. The best part about the Traxxas stuff is that I can drive 10 minutes to the LHS and get parts.

Old
  (#25)
rcobscession
RC-Monster Stock

12.04.2010, 02:10 PM

The flux is an all around good quality truck made for for hardcore bashing and for some extra cash can be made into a racer if your local track has a mt class. There are a few must do upgrades though just like any factory rc it isnt without its flaws.

Old
  (#26)
thzero
RC-Monster Aluminum

12.04.2010, 04:18 PM

Racing? Get a truggy. Unless you are doing more true monster style racing.

Quote:
can be made into a racer if your local track has a mt class. There are a few must do upgrades though just like any factory rc it isnt without its flaws.

Old
  (#27)
rcobscession
RC-Monster Stock

12.04.2010, 04:22 PM

hence the monster truck class lol My local track has a class for mt with limited upgrades as set forth by the owner. Nothing serious just something else to pack in on race day

Old
  (#28)
E-Revonut
RC-Monster RC8T

12.04.2010, 04:22 PM

I have a truggy for racing. RCobscession said that if your track has a MT class, it can be made into a good racer. In a MT class you wouldn't be allowed to race a truggy as you would have a clear advantage. My track doesn't have a MT class but if you come with a MT and want to race in the truggy class you can, but all I can say is good luck with that! Truggys far outperform any MT no matter how much work is done to them.

Old
  (#29)
thzero
RC-Monster Aluminum

12.04.2010, 04:33 PM

What I meant was Monster Jam style; i.e. basically drag race over short obstacle course.

Quote:
hence the monster truck class lol My local track has a class for mt with limited upgrades as set forth by the owner. Nothing serious just something else to pack in on race day

Old
  (#30)
thzero
RC-Monster Aluminum

12.04.2010, 04:34 PM

Well maybe you might get a Revo kinda close. If it has the "center diff". At least it has most of the adjustments that most race buggies and truggies have as far as the suspension goes. But still...

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Revonut View Post
Truggys far outperform any MT no matter how much work is done to them.