RC Monster

Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > Support Forums > HPI Savage

cc 1520 gearing/lipo ? in flux
Old
  (#1)
rcobscession
RC-Monster Stock

cc 1520 gearing/lipo ? in flux - 12.04.2010, 02:24 PM

I have recently put the cc sale motor to good use in my flux. With a little ingenuity and alot of dremeling i got a clean custom fit. I made my own motor mount which limits gearing to 20t pinion 44t spur or if it i go smaller spur i can fit a bigger pinion vise versa. Also what is the best lipo setup for this motor and mmm esc. I currently run 5s. Any suggestions to run the most optimal setup would be appreciated

Old
  (#2)
rcobscession
RC-Monster Stock

12.04.2010, 03:12 PM

Here are some pics of my build
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	050.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	9512   Click image for larger version

Name:	051.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	9513   Click image for larger version

Name:	052.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	9514  

Name:	053.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	9515  

Old
  (#3)
rcobscession
RC-Monster Stock

12.04.2010, 03:16 PM

Noob ? how do you upload more than 4 pics at a time?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	054.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	9516  

Old
  (#4)
FG101C
RC-Monster Aluminum

12.05.2010, 02:03 AM

I ran a 1520 on 6s with a 17t pinion and it was/is perfect. I just don't drive it anymore which means I'll probably end up selling it, but it rocks. Good run time out of two Turnigy 5000mah 3s 35c packs in series, good temps, alot of fun.

Old
  (#5)
Jahay
RC-Monster Titanium

12.05.2010, 02:30 PM

How is that a good setup?

A 1520 1600kv motor with a 17t pinion and 44t spur and stock flux tranny on 6s is only geared for 33mph or so??? That is extremely undergeared, and terrible top speed???

Even with a 20t pinion you are only geared for 39mph... and from my findinigs is that what ever the speed calculator results in, you should take off 10mph for actual speed....

I am geared for 53mph and i hit 43mph actual speed.

When running my 1520 with flux tranny... i ran the 39t high speed idler and ran an 18 t-19t pinion for around a 50-55mph calculated top speed so more like 40-45mph and i ran extremely kl temperatures... When geared for around 40mph my motor temps were very hot and my esc and lipos were extremely cool.

Old
  (#6)
LiqrSicc
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

12.06.2010, 03:18 AM

I'm running 6s with the 39t idler. With the 44t spur and a 20t pinion I'm getting 52mph on my radar. This is with Proline Badlands on JConcepts Rulux. Lipos cool, ESC cool, and the 1520 just warm to the touch. I have limited space too. I might jump to the 43t spur and try to fit a 22t pinion in there.

XXL 1717
SCTE 1512
XXX-S VTA
DX3R
  Send a message via AIM to LiqrSicc  
Old
  (#7)
rcobscession
RC-Monster Stock

12.06.2010, 09:42 AM

DAMN Your getting 52 mph out of the badlands. Aren't they made for offroad. I think im going to give them a try. I've always looked for and offroad tire that could do descent speeds without losing control. I guess coming from the stockers is almost always an improvement. Is there anyone that might make a spur gear that will fit the flux that is lower than 43 t

Last edited by rcobscession; 12.06.2010 at 09:47 AM. Reason: misunderstood

Old
  (#8)
FG101C
RC-Monster Aluminum

12.07.2010, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahay View Post
How is that a good setup?

A 1520 1600kv motor with a 17t pinion and 44t spur and stock flux tranny on 6s is only geared for 33mph or so??? That is extremely undergeared, and terrible top speed???

Even with a 20t pinion you are only geared for 39mph... and from my findinigs is that what ever the speed calculator results in, you should take off 10mph for actual speed....

I am geared for 53mph and i hit 43mph actual speed.

When running my 1520 with flux tranny... i ran the 39t high speed idler and ran an 18 t-19t pinion for around a 50-55mph calculated top speed so more like 40-45mph and i ran extremely kl temperatures... When geared for around 40mph my motor temps were very hot and my esc and lipos were extremely cool.
Sorry, don't know what to say. Correction though on the pinion/spur. 47/19, and the truck was fast enough, uncontrollable at top speed with the stock tires, and fun enough for me with cool temps all around.

Guess I don't know what I'm talking about though, I'll keep my setups to myself....thank you and goodnight.

Old
  (#9)
LiqrSicc
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

12.07.2010, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcobscession View Post
DAMN Your getting 52 mph out of the badlands. Aren't they made for offroad. I think im going to give them a try. I've always looked for and offroad tire that could do descent speeds without losing control. I guess coming from the stockers is almost always an improvement. Is there anyone that might make a spur gear that will fit the flux that is lower than 43 t
Yup that's the fastest I've gotten it at that gearing. I was actually expecting more but it's plenty fast. But believe me, you will lose control if you try to make too much of a correction at that speed. BTW I have my Badlands taped inside with GorillaTape. With the Jconcepts Rulux wheels there's two beads. I can glue the tire to the inner bead then glue a second time on the outer bead. I've hit close to 70mph with these tires on my E-Revo and the tires will not pop out of the bead.

XXL 1717
SCTE 1512
XXX-S VTA
DX3R
  Send a message via AIM to LiqrSicc  
Old
  (#10)
BrianG
RC-Monster Admin

12.07.2010, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FG101C View Post
...Guess I don't know what I'm talking about though, I'll keep my setups to myself....thank you and goodnight.
I think your post was fine. The OP asked for suggestions and you offered yours. It's not your fault they didn't like it. A 33mph setup is good if that's what you're after. Obviously, the OP wants much faster speed, but didn't specify.
  Send a message via Yahoo to BrianG Send a message via MSN to BrianG  
Old
  (#11)
bruce750i
RC-Monster Aluminum

12.07.2010, 12:00 PM

Thats the way I mounted my servo in my savage. Is that very common? IDK

Old
  (#12)
Jahay
RC-Monster Titanium

12.07.2010, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FG101C View Post
Sorry, don't know what to say. Correction though on the pinion/spur. 47/19, and the truck was fast enough, uncontrollable at top speed with the stock tires, and fun enough for me with cool temps all around.

Guess I don't know what I'm talking about though, I'll keep my setups to myself....thank you and goodnight.
sorry bud, i didnt mean to be rude...

But i just wanted to highlight that such an undergeared setup would cause your motor to over heat. As i mentioned, my motor was reaching high temperatures when i geared my 1520 for 35mph (i wanted to see what the torque would be like) after a few temp recordings... my ESC and lipos were still COLD and the motor was hitting 70degrees... i then put the gearing back to 53mph and my temps remained warm across the 3...

But MY GOD when i had the savage geared for 35mph with the 1520... there was so much torque that i did at one point do a standing DOUBLE backflip after warming my tyres up for max traction!!!! (it was a bit of a fluke, but it still happend!)

Old
  (#13)
rcobscession
RC-Monster Stock

12.07.2010, 08:22 PM

I appreciate everyones post and input. Brian,I did not specify any specific goal other than to post what worked for everyone so i could get an idea of where to start. It is really unecessary to take anything personally on this forum as it is impossible to tell the mood of "text" in a conversation. As far as the servo mount, im not sure if it is the norm but it replaces the big and bulky box really made for the nitro savage and it is alot easier to work on with it mounted this way. I ran my new setup twice and if feels alright but i think 20t/44t is a little much for this motor as torque was lacking a little on 5s(believe it or not)?

Old
  (#14)
rcobscession
RC-Monster Stock

12.07.2010, 08:35 PM

I forgot to mention where i live now its around 30 degrees so it allows for more cooling than normal so i guess i should take that into account I havent tried 6s yet either. That may be the problem as this motor is rated for 8s?

Old
  (#15)
thzero
RC-Monster Aluminum

12.07.2010, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcobscession View Post
I forgot to mention where i live now its around 30 degrees so it allows for more cooling than normal so i guess i should take that into account I havent tried 6s yet either. That may be the problem as this motor is rated for 8s?
6S; 25.2v... 600000rpm. That's what castle lists. Another post on the 1717 seemed to indicate you can push that a bit.