RC-Monster Forums  
RC Monster

Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > RC-Monster Area > General Discussion

iphone question?
Old
  (#1)
_paralyzed_
working on a brushless for my wheelchair.....

iphone question? - 11.12.2012, 04:33 AM

I know nothing about smart phones, and I'm sorry BrianG I know how you feel about apples

My oldest just turned 16 and his mom and I agreed to get the kid a used iPhone.

If it says "unlocked" can it be used on verizon? Or does it specifically have to be a verizon phone?

Thanks for any help.

It's "Dr. _paralyzed_" actually. Not like with a PhD, but Doctor like in Dr. Pepper.

Old
  (#2)
_paralyzed_

11.12.2012, 08:29 AM

I couldn't sleep so I googled and googled and the answer is no, you cannot use unlocked phones on verizon.

And holy crap these things are expensive. It's gonna be like $400 for a USED iPhone 4s.

He's a good kid, he's worth it.

It's "Dr. _paralyzed_" actually. Not like with a PhD, but Doctor like in Dr. Pepper.

Old
  (#3)
nitrostarter
RC-Monster Brushless

11.12.2012, 11:12 AM

Does he have a phone already?

Or are you adding a line for him? If so wouldn't it be cheaper to use the 2 year contract pricing?

N. Rustler conversion
  Send a message via AIM to nitrostarter  
Old
  (#4)
_paralyzed_

11.12.2012, 11:22 AM

He has a phone already.

Old
  (#5)
nitrostarter
RC-Monster Brushless

11.12.2012, 11:44 AM

And I'm guessing no one on the plan is up for an upgrade yet?

N. Rustler conversion
Old
  (#6)
E-Revonut
RC-Monster RC8T

11.12.2012, 06:34 PM

Buying any smartphone, outright is expensive. I'm pretty sure you can use an unlocked phone on verizon but it still has to be a verizon model of the iphone. There are really two versions of the iphone, verizon uses one model and everyone else uses the other. The cellular systems are different among the different companies

RC-Monster RC8T 1515 2.5D/MMM/5s RC-M 4500mah
SC10 MMPro 13.5T 2s NeuEnery 5000mah
RC18T Mamba 25/5400kv 2s lipo + 6s NiMh

Old
  (#7)
brijar
Knowing You're Hooked on RC: Priceless...

11.12.2012, 07:52 PM

Bit of phone info:
There are two types of cell phones in the US. GSM and CDMA. AT&T and T Mobile are the big GSM carriers. GSM phones use SIM cards to identify your account.
Sprint and Verizon are the big CDMA carriers in the US. CDMA phones do not have SIM cards. They are programmed to your account over the air. You would have to ask Sprint or Verizon to do that.
The iPhone 4s and the iPhone 5 have both a CDMA and GSM antenna in them, which is rather neat because you should be able to use an unlocked one on any carrier. I'm not exactly sure this is the case, though. I know the older iPhone 4 comes in a GSM version and a CDMA Verizon version.
I don't know which carrier you already have, but if you have Sprint or Verizon and are buying an iPhone 4s to work with them, be sure to check the ESN number of the phone to make sure it is not black listed. Phones that have been reported lost or stolen will likely have black listed ESN numbers and will not be able to be activated. The exception to this are services like Cricket wireless that do no share Sprint and Verizon's blacklist. But they don't have huge coverage areas nor very good tech support.

http://www.kittywireless.com/pageplus/validateesn.html
You can type in the ESN number and this tool will email you the results to see if the ESN is clean.

Good luck!

REVO 3.3 Conversion: 3906 trans, CC 1518, MMM, 6s Gens Ace 5k 40C, LST Diffs, Summit shafts
Slash 2x4 LCG
Two Slash 4x4s
Rustler

Last edited by brijar; 11.12.2012 at 08:19 PM.

Old
  (#8)
BrianG
RC-Monster Admin

11.12.2012, 09:49 PM

Yes, avoid iPhone. They are made by the iCrap company. So unless you (or your kid) wants to hold a turd in their hands, look elsewhere. Of course, if you want to be "stylish", then by all means keep holding that turd. Overpriced, overhyped garbage that locks you into their ecosystem. Bah, no thanks! Perfect example how clever marketing can make people buy anything.

/rant

Last edited by BrianG; 11.12.2012 at 09:50 PM.
  Send a message via Yahoo to BrianG Send a message via MSN to BrianG  
Old
  (#9)
_paralyzed_

11.12.2012, 10:58 PM

I am right there with you Brian. No slot for expandable memory. Child labor. Nose in the air apple status.

Buuuttttt.... It's his 16th birthday, he is an awesome kid and a great human being, and it is what he wants.

Believe me, he and I talked about all these things. He is aware of how I feel and I'm sure when he matures more he will think more like you and I on the subject.

Kids...

Old
  (#10)
_paralyzed_

11.13.2012, 12:28 AM

I found him a nice blue one The kid is lucky I love him so much, it cost half my monthly income

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321022036579...84.m1497.l2649

Old
  (#11)
brainanator
RC-Monster Aluminum

11.13.2012, 12:44 AM

My girlfriend currently has an old brick flip phone. (LG VX8300) It's 5 years old.
She's fine with it, since she never uses the dang thing anyway, but the buttons are dying and she needs to text me and family every now and then.

So, I'm buying her a used iPhone 2nd Gen for $15. (2 actually, but ones not working 100%). They are AT&T versions, but they'll work with the wal-mart straight talk thing for a flat $45 a month (what we're paying for that old phone anyway).

yay for cheap phones.

OFNA Jammin CRT.5e, Savage Flux HP, MBX5Te, SCX10, Multirotors, foam planes
  Send a message via Yahoo to brainanator Send a message via MSN to brainanator  
Old
  (#12)
_paralyzed_

11.13.2012, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainanator View Post
My girlfriend currently has an old brick flip phone. (LG VX8300) It's 5 years old.
She's fine with it, since she never uses the dang thing anyway, but the buttons are dying and she needs to text me and family every now and then.

So, I'm buying her a used iPhone 2nd Gen for $15. (2 actually, but ones not working 100%). They are AT&T versions, but they'll work with the wal-mart straight talk thing for a flat $45 a month (what we're paying for that old phone anyway).

yay for cheap phones.
I've got an LG slider, a pretty basic phone. I rarely use it either. For me, it's cheap phones all the way. I just want my boy to be happy. He's worth the sacrifice

Old
  (#13)
PBO
RC-Unobtainium

11.13.2012, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _paralyzed_ View Post
I just want my boy to be happy. He's worth the sacrifice
Well said!

Brian, you sure have a way with words. Such eloquence...clearly a man in love!

Enhanced Rustler 1515 1.5 MMM
Losi 8ight-T

Old
  (#14)
nitrostarter
RC-Monster Brushless

11.13.2012, 03:13 PM

I do enjoy my iPhone... Compared toy fiance's EVO, the iPhone kills it in performance.

Plus most apps and such are designed and released for iCrap stuff first. The other makers are afterthoughts.

N. Rustler conversion
Old
  (#15)
WheelMan
Do Epic Sh!t

11.13.2012, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _paralyzed_ View Post
I found him a nice blue one The kid is lucky I love him so much, it cost half my monthly income

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321022036579...84.m1497.l2649
Without implying that I know anything about your son's ability to take care of breakable things...and its quite possible you already have this covered...but I strongly suggest you get him a VERY nice case/cover for it!

Just some friendly advise from a guy that has owned every model iPhone made to date, and has experienced many a broken screens and glass backs, because of the refusal to use a cover.

In other words, I have become VERY familiar with the internals of these phones.

Don't get me wrong though, I love the iPhone, and have stuck with it for quite some time, despite how easy they are to break.

-Travis

Adults are just kids, with money.
Common sense, is not so common.

Last edited by WheelMan; 11.13.2012 at 04:09 PM.