RC Monster

Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > RC-Monster Area > General Discussion

The Dark Side
Old
  (#1)
E-Revonut
RC-Monster RC8T

The Dark Side - 02.15.2012, 12:22 AM

I have been an electric/ brushless convert for many years and I'm now wanting to play with a nitro again. I'm considering a Jato 3.3 or a T-Maxx 2.5, if I get 3.3 Maxx I need new tires cause I hate the huge tires on it. My first hobby grade RC was a 2.5R Maxx. I may also stay electric and get another E-Maxx. I sold my SC10 4x4 and just want something I can have fun with again since everything I have now is strictly racing oriented. I have a set of 10Ah 2s lipos that would give me huge runtime in a E-maxx, or go nitro and screw around till the rx pack goes dead. If I get an E-Maxx it will be brushed cause again the brushless comes with rediculous tires and I already have a MMM 1515 2.5D to go in it.

Any thoughts?

RC-Monster RC8T 1515 2.5D/MMM/5s RC-M 4500mah
SC10 MMPro 13.5T 2s NeuEnery 5000mah
RC18T Mamba 25/5400kv 2s lipo + 6s NiMh

Old
  (#2)
Krawlin
Got brushless?

02.15.2012, 01:38 AM

Personally I have been having bad luck with my brushless Savage XL, and had some bad luck with my E-MGT, all electronics related, and I am rather fed up with electric. In the past 4 months, the only RC of my fleet that I have been running is my Mugen MBX5R, powered by a Werks B5 .21. I would say if you want to get back into nitro, skip the Traxxass stuff, get a used 1/8 nitro buggy, and put a good aftermarket engine in it, be it Picco or Werks or a budget NovaRossi, or whatever brand you may prefer.

I myself have always run Picco engines until I bought the Werks B5 for my MBX5R, and I love it, easy to break in, extremely reliable (Way more reliable than any of my brushless cars have ever been, sorry guys but its the truth ), tuning it is a bit different from other engines I've had simply because it runs with a rich tune and kind of hard to start when its cold, but once its dialed in, it holds a tune and doesn't have to be adjusted unless ambient temps change quite a bit. As with any nitro engine, always seal up the carb before you even break it in, makes life much easier.

I recommend getting a used 1/8 buggy (or truggy) though for the obvious strength factor, no MT can touch a 1/8 buggy (or truggy) in durability. I have to replace the steel ball studs on my Mugen because they wear out before the plastic rod ends do, and I have yet to replace a suspension arm since I bought it last summer, you won't see even RPM arms handle the kind of abuse that STOCK 1/8 buggy arms can handle.

And if you go with a 1/8 buggy or truggy, skip the pull start or roto-start BS, they are more trouble than they are worth. Pull starts and roto-start setups are just an air leak waiting to happen, OWB's go bad on a regular basis and PS cords break and roto-start gears strip. Get a starter box with a minimum of twin 550 motors and run 4S LiPo in it, and get an engine that is meant for bump start only. Better performance, less weight, no more air leaks, no frustration over bad one-way-bearings, no broken pull start cords, just easy worry free engine starting, the way it should be.

If you buy used for the buggy/truggy and starter box, you can save a ton of money and end up with a very high quality and in good condition setup, and since you have some brushless cars already then I'm sure you probably have a pair of 2S LiPos or a single 4S that you can power the starter box with, so more money saved there, which allows you to then purchase nice servos and a quality aftermarket engine with the money you saved on a used car and starter box.

My first hobby grade RC was an original T-Maxx, fun truck, but getting a Traxxas and trying to make it run properly and reliably is like polishing a turd, it may look better, but at the end of the day, it's still a turd.

Join the dark side that is the 1/8 nitro crowd, it's tons of fun and low cost if you plan your build and budget and buy used.

Monster GT Conversion

Proud Member & Online Recruiter for Team Terribles!
Mugen MBX5-T - Rc-bearings.com

Send a message via Yahoo to Krawlin Send a message via AIM to Krawlin Send a message via MSN to Krawlin  
Old
  (#3)
E-Revonut
RC-Monster RC8T

02.15.2012, 01:55 AM

I had a RC8T truggy, great race truck but I had zero fun bashing the thing. Although I've never driven a nitro buggy or truggy I'm sure I wouldn't have any more fun with one than with a brushless truggy. Traxxas may not be the best, the strongest, fastest, or best looking, but the one thing that is for sure is that they have the best parts support. I can walk into almost any hobby shop and find traxxas parts. I know I'm going to be braking parts every now and then while bashing and at least with Traxxas there's a chance that I can drive 10 minutes to get a part. I'm definitely leaning towards the T-maxx, if I decide I want an E-maxx I can buy a few parts and make one out of the T-maxx.

Maybe I won't get anything, maybe another boat!

Old
  (#4)
_paralyzed_
working on a brushless for my wheelchair.....

02.15.2012, 02:15 AM

I've ran a lot of nitros, and I have absolutely no love for trx engines. Nitro is finicky to begin with, and it always seemed to me that small blocks were even more finicky. Even cheap dynamite big blocks always ran better for me than any small block. I'm not just saying this to sell you something, this is the experience I've had.

Now this stuff I am saying to sell you something-

I have an LST2 for sale with an O.S. .30 (A $300 motor, I'm only asking 33% more than this for the entire truck)

The theme of the truck was Carbon fiber, black and silver. Everything is either Carbon fiber, stock black or silver aluminum.

It has the carbon fiber chassis plates (top, middle and bottom) carbon fiber vantage exhaust pipe, carbon fiber vantage spur gear cover.

It would come with all running gear, a nice metered glow plug heater, 2 NIP glow plugs, a fuel bottle, jr xs3 radio and receiver, an extra wheel and tire. The only thing I can think is slightly wrong is that it could use a new receiver pack, but it works well enough for a tank of fuel.

It's my last nitro, and I want it and all my nitro paraphernalia gone! It's an awesome truck, it is just too difficult for me to run nitro from a chair.

Sorry for the sales pitch if you are not interested, I just feel you would be in a better position r/c wise with an LST and an O.S. .30 than any little t-maxx.

It's "Dr. _paralyzed_" actually. Not like with a PhD, but Doctor like in Dr. Pepper.

Old
  (#5)
_paralyzed_

02.15.2012, 02:20 AM

Oh, and LST's have great parts support

It's "Dr. _paralyzed_" actually. Not like with a PhD, but Doctor like in Dr. Pepper.

Old
  (#6)
E-Revonut
RC-Monster RC8T

02.15.2012, 05:12 PM

The only parts support at my lhs is Traxxas. They have a few odd ball associated and Losi parts but they prolly don't even know what an LST is. As much as it'd be nice to have another new RC I think I really need to resist the temptation and let the money sit, at the very least until it's a little warmer out.

Old
  (#7)
Arct1k
RC-Monster Mod

02.15.2012, 05:14 PM

Nah buy my CRT.5 :)

Old
  (#8)
Arct1k
RC-Monster Mod

02.15.2012, 05:15 PM

Have you thought of something a bit different like a wraith or xr10?

Old
  (#9)
_paralyzed_

02.15.2012, 07:32 PM

Fine. Then off to e-bay with it.

Old
  (#10)
Overdriven
Destroyer of Tires

02.15.2012, 09:51 PM

I agree with you Harold, big blocks do seem easier to tune than small blocks for some reason. T-maxx was the truck the sucked me back into the hobby, so I have a soft spot for them too. Would be kinda cool to have a nitro to putz around with now and then. The New 1/8 scale gas stuff HPI is coming out with is an interesting option for that. Anyone want to buy my emaxx before I start looking at converting it to a big block tmaxx?

LST XXL MMM 1717 Custom Fabbed Conversion

Old
  (#11)
Krawlin
Got brushless?

02.17.2012, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Revonut View Post
I had a RC8T truggy, great race truck but I had zero fun bashing the thing. Although I've never driven a nitro buggy or truggy I'm sure I wouldn't have any more fun with one than with a brushless truggy. Traxxas may not be the best, the strongest, fastest, or best looking, but the one thing that is for sure is that they have the best parts support. I can walk into almost any hobby shop and find traxxas parts. I know I'm going to be braking parts every now and then while bashing and at least with Traxxas there's a chance that I can drive 10 minutes to get a part. I'm definitely leaning towards the T-maxx, if I decide I want an E-maxx I can buy a few parts and make one out of the T-maxx.

Maybe I won't get anything, maybe another boat!
I find this argument to be pointless because when you have a car that doesn't break constantly, then you don't need parts support at the LHS. I run Mugen, which hardly any hobby shops carry parts for anyway, and have never had to purchase a Mugen part from my LHS, and the hobby shop that I consider "local" is one of 3 that are about 100 miles away and they are the only shop of the 3 that carries any Mugen parts. For one, I keep lots of spare arms on hand, which is silly because I've never broken an arm on my MBX5R and only about 2 or 3 on my MBX5T in the 3 years that I've owned it. Parts wear out on a good car before parts break. Keep the essentials on hand and you will never have to worry about "parts support" ever again. If you really have to worry about suddenly needing a part because it's likely to break, then you should probably have a few spares of that part on hand in the first place. I prefer having a car that I can trust and be prepared with some spares just in case, than have a car that I don't trust that it will hold up and not have spares and need to make a trip to the LHS.

Monster GT Conversion

Proud Member & Online Recruiter for Team Terribles!
Mugen MBX5-T - Rc-bearings.com

Send a message via Yahoo to Krawlin Send a message via AIM to Krawlin Send a message via MSN to Krawlin  
Old
  (#12)
magman
RC-Monster Dual Brushless

02.18.2012, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawlin View Post
I find this argument to be pointless because when you have a car that doesn't break constantly, then you don't need parts support at the LHS. I run Mugen, which hardly any hobby shops carry parts for anyway, and have never had to purchase a Mugen part from my LHS, and the hobby shop that I consider "local" is one of 3 that are about 100 miles away and they are the only shop of the 3 that carries any Mugen parts. For one, I keep lots of spare arms on hand, which is silly because I've never broken an arm on my MBX5R and only about 2 or 3 on my MBX5T in the 3 years that I've owned it. Parts wear out on a good car before parts break. Keep the essentials on hand and you will never have to worry about "parts support" ever again. If you really have to worry about suddenly needing a part because it's likely to break, then you should probably have a few spares of that part on hand in the first place. I prefer having a car that I can trust and be prepared with some spares just in case, than have a car that I don't trust that it will hold up and not have spares and need to make a trip to the LHS.

+1 I personally own 3 Mugens. MBX5T, MBX5 converted to on-road and a MRX-3. All are built like tanks. Only time I have broken anything is due to my poor driving and a tree which decided to jump out at my truck. I made the dumb mistake of falling for the slash 4x4...ugh. I spent a TON of money hopping it up to be bash worthy and it still wasn't even close to what I wanted. So, I bought a Losi 10T instead....much happier!!!

I do understand the TMAXX crowd loving their trucks. It got me back into the hobby after a 20 yr absence. However, I personally will not own another truck/buggy unless it is based on a 1/8 platform. Easier to work on, more reliable, etc....

Just my 1/2 cent worth

1. MBX-6 T8 1900KV, RX8 ON 4S
2. MBX-5T 1520, MMM ON 5S
3. MBX-5 ONROAD CONVERSION 1515, MMM ON 5S
4. MRX-3 ON ROAD CONVERSION 1512, MMM ON 6S
5. TEN T 2650 T8, MMP ON 3S

Old
  (#13)
E-Revonut
RC-Monster RC8T

03.31.2012, 03:24 PM

I wound up buying a Jato 3.3 from my lhs this week while I was there racing. Weather was a bit milder out and it took all of 30 seconds to get the motor to fire the first time. It stayed running the entire tank and I continued to break it in inbetween rounds of racing. So far I've had fun and no headaches. I can run tank after tank without shutting it off and no problems, even have the original glow plug in it still. So far I have to say that breaking them in when it's warm out has a drastic impact vs trying to break them in when it's cold out. Having fun so far, who knows what doors may have opened for me now. If this goes well I may have to give 1/8 nitro truggy a try, at least then I can compete in bigger races