RC Monster

Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > Support Forums > General Electric

A123 2200mAh pack!!!
Old
  (#1)
lutach
RC-Monster Dual Brushless

A123 2200mAh pack!!! - 10.05.2007, 05:50 PM

I bought the new RC Driver magazine and the article on the Tamiya TA-05 IFS they show a A123 2200mAh pack. The funny thing is that it doesn't say anything in A123's website. I also looked in Horizon's website and same story there. One other thing, the TA-05 IFS has a very interesting looking front suspension system.
  Send a message via MSN to lutach  
Old
  (#2)
crazyjr

10.05.2007, 06:21 PM

Good find, I just rechecked and it is a cool looking piece. It almost looks like they went with a flat cell

Work because i gotta, play because i wanna

People here hate Nitro, I love it. I start it, run it about 50 ft from me and it dies, I go after it. Perfect exercise

Last edited by crazyjr; 10.05.2007 at 07:05 PM.

Old
  (#3)
lutach

10.05.2007, 07:09 PM

It sure looks like a prismatic type cell. The only problem, there is no info on them anywhere.
Old
  (#4)
JThiessen
RC-Monster Brushless

10.08.2007, 05:20 PM

Could it be one of the A123 packs that Maxamps assembles and re-sells?

Losi 8T 1.0, Savage Flux - XL style, LST XXL, Muggy, 3.3 E-Revo Conversion and sitting outside 425hp, 831 Tq Dodge Ram Turbo Diesel. It SMOKES

Old
  (#5)
lutach

10.08.2007, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JThiessen View Post
The pack in the Tamiya doesn't look like the normal A123 packs. This pack seems much thiner then the usual A123 packs.
Old
  (#6)
crazyjr

10.08.2007, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JThiessen View Post
Those are 2300mah, I think it looks like a flat cell or an 1100 cell in 2P

Work because i gotta, play because i wanna

People here hate Nitro, I love it. I start it, run it about 50 ft from me and it dies, I go after it. Perfect exercise

Old
  (#7)
Batfish
RC-Monster Aluminum

10.08.2007, 09:37 PM

I haven't seen the RCDriver article yet - however:
I had an opportunity to use one of those packs a couple months ago in my Associated B4 buggy for local club racing.
It was a 2s2p 1100mah A123 battery pack the same length and width of a normal 6-cell nimh stick pack, and just a little bit shorter. That means it'll fit just about any place you can fit a 6-cell nimh stick pack.
It worked great for the 4 weeks or so that I used it, which included about 20 cycles.

A123 was not ready to release them mainly because their Hypersonic Charger beats the heck out of them when fast charging at 8-10Amps, which shortens battery life. They definitely didn't want to release a battery that would have shortened life from using their own charger. If they are showing the pack in a magazine, maybe they have a solution to the charging issue. I certainly hope so - I really want to use the pack in my race vehicles :)

Joe

Electronics run on smoke... if you let the smoke out, they stop working.

Old
  (#8)
lutach

10.08.2007, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batfish View Post
I haven't seen the RCDriver article yet - however:
I had an opportunity to use one of those packs a couple months ago in my Associated B4 buggy for local club racing.
It was a 2s2p 1100mah A123 battery pack the same length and width of a normal 6-cell nimh stick pack, and just a little bit shorter. That means it'll fit just about any place you can fit a 6-cell nimh stick pack.
It worked great for the 4 weeks or so that I used it, which included about 20 cycles.

A123 was not ready to release them mainly because their Hypersonic Charger beats the heck out of them when fast charging at 8-10Amps, which shortens battery life. They definitely didn't want to release a battery that would have shortened life from using their own charger. If they are showing the pack in a magazine, maybe they have a solution to the charging issue. I certainly hope so - I really want to use the pack in my race vehicles :)
Did A123 let you take pictures or they made you sign a form that wouldn't allow you to do it? How long did one charged pack last in race conditions? What is the discharge rate of the pack? There are a few chargers in the market right now that are capable of charging A123 cells.