RC Monster

Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > RC-Monster Area > General Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 4.33 average. Display Modes
Old
  (#46)
hemiblas
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

10.17.2008, 12:43 AM

I like the comparison shot. The tmaxx tires are 6.3". If these are 7" then they are truley bigger. I have wanted to build something this big for a while. I will probably be getting one.

Old
  (#47)
jhautz
RC-Monster Mod

10.17.2008, 02:01 AM

Anyone check out the new driveshafts on this thing. They looks nice. Dual CVD style joints. Claiming to be stronger than the older revo style shafts. Looks like a worthy upgrade for the revo when they become available.

http://www.traxxas.com/products/elec...driveshaft.jpg

I can't decide if its more fun
to make it...
or break it...

Silent...But Deadly

Old
  (#48)
hoovhartid
Monster Bottle Opener

10.17.2008, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhautz View Post
Anyone check out the new driveshafts on this thing. They looks nice. Dual CVD style joints. Claiming to be stronger than the older revo style shafts. Looks like a worthy upgrade for the revo when they become available.

http://www.traxxas.com/products/elec...driveshaft.jpg
That was the first thing I asked about.

I was worried that they may be longer than the standard driveshafts bacause it looks that the summit is using the LT rockers and i didnt see them stretching out in the pics. But a TRX employee said that they are interchangable with the e-revo series. Also that the new brushless e-revo will have them.

http://monster.traxxas.com/showthrea...98#post3602198

<a href=http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k137/darrajsam/bottomline.jpg target=_blank>http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k1...bottomline.jpg</a>
I used a "bottom" line.

Old
  (#49)
What's_nitro?
Soldermaster Extraordinaire

10.17.2008, 03:12 AM

I like it. I like it a lot. (Had to, sorry. )

Lots of people are saying that the Revo platform won't work well for a crawler. The way I see it, you would think a chassis with independent suspension would be more capable since the diffs aren't in the way (As they are with solid axles). Those locking diffs only add to the capabilities. It does look like it would benefit from a longer wheelbase due to the larger tires. I think I'll be buying one at some point.

I am faster than Buzz Lightyear.

Old
  (#50)
kraegar
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

10.17.2008, 06:28 AM

Having done some crawling with different vehicles in RL, I can speak with a little (very limited) experience on independent suspension vs. solid axle. I've only personally crawled in a SA 1980 Jeep cj-7 (lifted, 33" tires, custom leaf springs), and a few older Jeeps. When one wheel gets in the air the solid axle actually forces the other wheel on the ground & holds traction. You don't need to work the brakes in strange ways, just a slight drag break, and you keep on moving. (well, the second time it happens to you that's what happens. The first time you about piss your pants, and screw it up, then someone pulls you out with a winch, and you fix the body work. ahem)

The few times I saw someone with IS suspension out there, if they got a wheel in the air the other had trouble maintaining torque, they'd use traction control and jimmy with their throttle & break trying to double pedal the hell out of it and work through the same spots. (lots of winches involved, and usually some wood planking to help them drive out)

I think the idea's cool for the summit, but it isn't a crawler (and traxxas hasn't said it is, really). If I hadn't bought an e-revo in june, I'd be signing up for a summit now. It does have some amazing suspension travel, but what differentiates it from a crawler is what would happen when you reach past the limits of that travel, and notice the video never shows that (one wheel totally in the air, slow crawl speed, with any sort of precision). Still fun? yeah, I think it would be as a basher.

- Tony

Old
  (#51)
skellyo
RC-Monster Brushless

10.17.2008, 09:24 AM

Just watched a video on the main page of rccaraction.com. They interviewed a Traxxas employee about the Summit and said it should be available in hobby shops in December.

Old
  (#52)
Modding_out
disturb'in the peace......

10.17.2008, 10:56 AM

I just had the best idea ever IMO. What do you think if some took a summit, and made a e slayer out of it? now, I understand there different lengths and all but seriously. locking diffs, lights, you know, the works. Stuffed in a scale package = awesome!

Old
  (#53)
suicideneil
They've been naughty boys, havent they Mr. Flibble

10.17.2008, 11:04 AM

Q. Why is everyone saying the summit is 'big' compared to the Erevo? It is an Erevo, with the suspension jacked up- its no wider or longer. The tall shell makes it look larger, but its still got the same chassis and suspension parts as the Erevo. Stick a Clod or TXT-1 side by side with it, then try & tell me the Summit is big....
  Send a message via MSN to suicideneil  
Old
  (#54)
Modding_out

10.17.2008, 11:13 AM

I'm not saying the Summit is "big" compared to the E-REVO. Their the same size, but a Slayer is not the same size as the E-REVO, it's a whole inch shorter. you do the math.

Last edited by Modding_out; 10.17.2008 at 11:16 AM.

Old
  (#55)
cornolio
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

10.17.2008, 11:14 AM

traxxas employee said that "suspension arms are longer"

xray xt8 MMM neu1515 1y
hotbodies ve8 novak HV 6.5
hotbodies cyclone tc
mugen mtx4(nitro)
lst2(conversion ongoing)
  Send a message via Yahoo to cornolio  
Old
  (#56)
JThiessen
RC-Monster Brushless

10.17.2008, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornolio View Post
traxxas employee said that "suspension arms are longer"
If you are referring to the same info i saw, he was referring to the extended wheel base arms, which are currently an option for the Revo.

I am curious though if the arms are going to be different. The bulkheads have likely changed to fit the new diff, so they must have had to re-engineer that interface also. Maybe these new bulkheads will make it easier to fit the 1/8 diff's in it now....Linc, get ready.....

Losi 8T 1.0, Savage Flux - XL style, LST XXL, Muggy, 3.3 E-Revo Conversion and sitting outside 425hp, 831 Tq Dodge Ram Turbo Diesel. It SMOKES

Old
  (#57)
suicideneil

10.17.2008, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modding_out View Post
I'm not saying the Summit is "big" compared to the E-REVO. Their the same size, but a Slayer is not the same size as the E-REVO, it's a whole inch shorter. you do the math.
Que?

What has the slayer got to do with anything? The slayer has a completely different chassis to the nitro revos, so yeah, its going to be a different size ofcourse.

Its just that comparsion picture that lots of people are cooing over:

if you jack up the Erevo and add P2 rockers, it looks pretty much identical; it just looks bigger due to the larger shell and big tyres. If I jacked up my Gmaxx, it would be even bigger than both of those still... thats all I ment by its not actually 'bigger'. Its all an illusion....

Last edited by suicideneil; 10.17.2008 at 11:30 AM.
Old
  (#58)
Modding_out

10.17.2008, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by suicideneil View Post
Que?

What has the slayer got to do with anything? The slayer has a completely different chassis to the nitro revos, so yeah, its going to be a different size ofcourse.

Its just that comparsion picture that lots of people are cooing over:

if you jack up the Erevo and add P2 rockers, it looks pretty much identical; it just looks bigger due to the larger shell and big tyres. If I jacked up my Gmaxx, it would be even bigger than both of those still... thats all I ment by its not actually 'bigger'. Its all an illusion....
I was under the impression you were replying to my other post:

Quote:
I just had the best idea ever IMO. What do you think if some took a summit, and made a e slayer out of it? now, I understand there different lengths and all but seriously. locking diffs, lights, you know, the works. Stuffed in a scale package = awesome!

Last edited by Modding_out; 10.17.2008 at 11:51 AM.

Old
  (#59)
George16
Supermaxx

10.17.2008, 11:59 AM

The only reason the summit looks "big" in the picture is due to the use of the long travel rockers and installing the pushrods on the innermost holes on the arms. P2 rockers are 90mm while the LT rockers are 120mm. I have both rockers on hand for comparison.

Plus of course, the bigger tires used on the summit.

Castle Neu 1520 on 6S LiPo Powered Gmaxx (Nitro Killer)
Predator with OS .21TM
Supermaxx with Mach .26
Revo with OS .18TZ
Kyosho ST-RR Conversion
Ofna CR with Tekin ESC/Motor (2)

Old
  (#60)
suicideneil

10.17.2008, 12:04 PM

No worries Modding_out. A proper scale trail truck like the Tamiya F350 type machines you see would be very nice- the summit shell isnt to my taste, but something along those lines would work well with the correct wheels and tyres.