Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old
  (#16)
lincpimp
Check out my huge box!

11.22.2008, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kulangflow View Post
Hey Linc, what's the best method you've found for using the zinc flux and solder?

I've soldered for years using Dean's solder, but I've never had to use flux and solder separately before. I'm splitting a 5s 5k Neu pack into a 3s and 2s configuration.

I'm going to look it up, but I figured I'd get your professional opinion as well.
Somehow I have missed all the posts on this thread... Whoops!

The best method I have found is to smear a small amount of the flux on the tab, then tin the end of the soldering iron with the zinc flux. When you touch the iron to the tab it will liquify the flu and the solder should flow onto the tab. I use a reasonably wide chisel tip on the iron and keep it on the tab with a swirling motion to make sure that the solder spreads evenly.

Old
  (#17)
lincpimp
Check out my huge box!

11.22.2008, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by auto2 View Post
i have a 4s 3700 i got from mike that says anyrc.com on it that has a strange proble,
everything seems normal.pack is hard and flat,charges corrctlly and is in balance butit has no power at all. if buggy is geared for 40 mph with this pack it will go 10mph full throttle. wont even rev up enough to have trouble making full speed turns on the street it is that slow. what you think?
Do you have another lipo to try? May not even be the battery.

How do you charge the lipo? What balancer and charger do you use? Do you have a volt meter? Also what motor and esc are you using?

Old
  (#18)
BMX_LEGACY

11.26.2008, 05:06 PM

lincpimp ygpm

Old
  (#19)
lincpimp
Check out my huge box!

01.06.2009, 10:05 AM

Just figured that I would update this thread with my recent repairs.

I have now repaired all of the various hard cased lipos. So I am familiar with how they are setup internally, and most inportantly, how to get the cases open with out damaging the case or internal wiring. So heres a list,

All losi hard cased lipos

Enerland hard case

Orion/kokam hard case

Trakpower

And the cheaper ebay chinese cell hard case lipos

Not sure that I put this anywhere else, but please post info here or pm me. I leave pricing to pms, but repairs usually take a day or so and I can ship back the lipo. Payment can be made via paypal or thru MO/cash.

And as always I am interested in buying damaged packs that you may not want, I only ask to have a look at them before we settle on a price. I will also pay shipping for this.

Thanks for all the interest, and I hope I am providing a somewhat useful service...

Old
  (#20)
Rcaddict
RC-Monster Stock

01.09.2009, 08:16 AM

Lincpimp really knows what he's doing. My Losi pack had died an untimely death and lincpimp was able to take the pack apart, fix it and make it stronger than it came from the factory. Thanks again for saving my pack.

Old
  (#21)
bensf

01.09.2009, 06:09 PM

I bet you can't work your magic on these.

Old
  (#22)
lincpimp
Check out my huge box!

01.15.2009, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcaddict View Post
Lincpimp really knows what he's doing. My Losi pack had died an untimely death and lincpimp was able to take the pack apart, fix it and make it stronger than it came from the factory. Thanks again for saving my pack.
No prob, you are very welcome. I can fix most problems, and will be happy to look at anything sent to me, free of charge unless you want it fixed!

Old
  (#23)
lincpimp
Check out my huge box!

01.15.2009, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensf View Post
I bet you can't work your magic on these.

Looks like you have 1 good cell, bottom one on the left pack... Othwise they may be gone...

Now you can try flattening the ends back and resealing them... I have am in the process of testing this on a torn cell... I am not in the charging phase yet so try at your own risk!!!!
I will post back results...

So It Happened......
Old
  (#24)
redshift
RC-Monster Square Tube

So It Happened...... - 01.15.2009, 10:29 PM

Linc I'd like your input on this- first off, I was under the impression that the Maxamps 2S 6000 were a 2 cell, they're 4 with 2 paralleled. So my first thought is how the hell can you balance these at all with their setup

So I ran my packs down to about 7.1 on one run- not even close to cutoff, they flatten out enough that it's noticeable anyway but sure enough one is a little swelled- kinda knew it'd come with all the fun stuff I've read about Maxamps, but still it blows- especially considering I had to send 2 packs back a few months apart to GET two packs that were good. The first order one pack was at 4.2v, went back immediately, then a few months went by and the third one wouldn't balance, it was long enough that they felt the need to charge me more for the fourth replacement, so I paid around 3 bills for two packs- don't I feel smart for not finding RCM sooner..... the real issue was fitment in my mute, it was built for 6 cell packs and I had few options, but never again...

Anyway rant over, do you think this is ok to trial run? I charged it up full and it is balanced, but I wonder if it's worth trying. The other thing is these like peckmarks around the perimeter of the puffing, have you seen that alot? And the bottom cell seems very slightly puffed, should I just dispose?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	maxpuffs 005.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	6227   Click image for larger version

Name:	maxpuffs 004.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	6228   Click image for larger version

Name:	maxpuffs 006.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	6229  

Old
  (#25)
bensf

01.15.2009, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincpimp View Post
Looks like you have 1 good cell, bottom one on the left pack... Othwise they may be gone...

Now you can try flattening the ends back and resealing them... I have am in the process of testing this on a torn cell... I am not in the charging phase yet so try at your own risk!!!!
I will post back results...
They are all punctured. I'm just going to trash them. Its not really worth it to try and keep them. I only paid 50 or so for the set. I might wait an see what happens to your packs though.

Last edited by bensf; 01.15.2009 at 10:47 PM.

Old
  (#26)
lincpimp
Check out my huge box!

01.15.2009, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redshift View Post
Linc I'd like your input on this- first off, I was under the impression that the Maxamps 2S 6000 were a 2 cell, they're 4 with 2 paralleled. So my first thought is how the hell can you balance these at all with their setup

So I ran my packs down to about 7.1 on one run- not even close to cutoff, they flatten out enough that it's noticeable anyway but sure enough one is a little swelled- kinda knew it'd come with all the fun stuff I've read about Maxamps, but still it blows- especially considering I had to send 2 packs back a few months apart to GET two packs that were good. The first order one pack was at 4.2v, went back immediately, then a few months went by and the third one wouldn't balance, it was long enough that they felt the need to charge me more for the fourth replacement, so I paid around 3 bills for two packs- don't I feel smart for not finding RCM sooner..... the real issue was fitment in my mute, it was built for 6 cell packs and I had few options, but never again...

Anyway rant over, do you think this is ok to trial run? I charged it up full and it is balanced, but I wonder if it's worth trying. The other thing is these like peckmarks around the perimeter of the puffing, have you seen that alot? And the bottom cell seems very slightly puffed, should I just dispose?

Hmmm, your pics are not really clear enough, can you take a pic on the side of the pack so I can see how puffed the cell is?

As for paralleled cells, they will work properly if and only if they are matched correctly. Maxamps told me they matched their cells, and I say that they are full of shite. I had a tech at flightpower explain their multi step matching process...I doubt that maxcraps has anything like that.

So my advise is to sell the maxamps packs that are still good. If your setup is ok with those packs, a pair of trakpower or other decent enerland hardcase packs will do fine, even at around 5000mah. Those will outperform the maxamps 6000 packs, which are 15c packs at best.

Stay away from parallel packs, only decent ones I have seen are the true rc 8000 packs.

They most likely puffed due to over discharge, and poor matching. The weak cell in the paralleled pair could not handle the discharge amps and most likely puffed due to that.

Old
  (#27)
redshift
RC-Monster Square Tube

01.16.2009, 12:22 PM

The photo on the left is the upper cell, pic may have exaggerated the puffng a bit, it's about 1/8 inch, and about half that on the lower cell.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hpim0301.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	6235   Click image for larger version

Name:	hpim0303.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	6236  

Old
  (#28)
kulangflow
Never Fast Enough

01.16.2009, 12:34 PM

It is likely that some of the swelling has actually gone down already. My MA packs usually swelled big, then deflated over time, only to swell again upon use. Dangerous game to play, I know. :-)

He's down by the river ... walking on water.

Old
  (#29)
redshift
RC-Monster Square Tube

01.16.2009, 12:46 PM

It actually has stayed the same kulangflow, which is why I am (stupidly?) considering trying it, I am in denial--- these packs have less than 30 cycles on them and I have treated them like china... grrrr I don't want to put .22 holes in this pack yet!

But then I do- knowwhatImean?

Old
  (#30)
lincpimp
Check out my huge box!

01.16.2009, 01:55 PM

Well, once they puff they are done. You can try running it, but it puffed for a reason, so you will most likely puff it more.

Like I said, sell the good one, and you can send me the bad one and I can make a 3s 3000 pack out of it and then you can sell it too, or use it in something low draw. That way you can get some money back out of them.

You really need better packs, as your setup is most likely too potent for those 6000 packs.