Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > Support Forums > HPI Savage

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Flux on LST shocks w/FLM towers
Old
  (#1)
JThiessen
RC-Monster Brushless

Flux on LST shocks w/FLM towers - 09.07.2009, 08:30 PM

Hey all - just got back from my vacation trip to the ocean. I managed to get ALL of the parts I ordered at the last second in before we left, so I was able to spend the first day tearing apart the Flux, and installing the new parts.
I bought the FLM shock towers, the FLM LST shock adapters, Integy rear bearing carriers, a full set of the blue aluminum LST shocks.

I started on the front, and was actually suprised how much I had to take off to get the stock parts out. I found that some of the screws holding the shocks and shock towers were all bent, but the hinge pins were all straight. Other than that, it was in fairly decent condition.

The FLM's were a snug fit and required a strong arming to get them in. All fairly straight forward, except of course the left over parts. I always have this sinking feeling when I've put something together, and have this handful of leftover parts. But per the instructions....oh wait - THERE ARENT ANY!!! You can see some of them off to the side in some of the first pics - the left over's are the four spacers, and this large dia shim/washer. I assume the machined AL spacers are for mounting Savage shocks, but I have no idea what that big shim washer is for.

Unlike others, I found the Integy bearing carriers to be an easy install, and didn't require any alteration. Nice clean finished look.

I also bought a set of yellow springs, mostly 'cause I like the look of them, but in the end, I found them to be too stiff for the front, and possibly for the rear.

I have say, it LOOKS damn good all done. Big, beefy, and bad. However, after the first run, all four upper shock attach points had bent inward - looks like first the screws bent, then the actual shock towers bent. I locktited and replaced the screws, switched the springs (backed the adjusters way back, and put silver springs on all the way around), and went for another run. This time I broke the lower diff housing where the tower attaches.

Yes, I run it hard, but the stock plastics held up since January when I first got this thing. The jumps I took with it on the beach were not anywhere near as high/long as those I put this through here at home. So there's some proof in the pudding here that plastics help absorb those impacts, and keep you from damaging the inner workings of your truck.

Now I have to figure out if there is an aluminum diff housing that I need to install, or take it all off and go back to stock.......kinda sad, but for me, this truck is my "take it all" basher.

Here's the pics of the conversion.
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Losi 8T 1.0, Savage Flux - XL style, LST XXL, Muggy, 3.3 E-Revo Conversion and sitting outside 425hp, 831 Tq Dodge Ram Turbo Diesel. It SMOKES

Old
  (#2)
Bondonutz
Fat Kid Engineering

09.07.2009, 08:34 PM

Lookin' Great Bro ! You'll be really happy with those LST shocks.

I retired from RC, now life is all about guns and long range shooting.

Old
  (#3)
JThiessen
RC-Monster Brushless

09.07.2009, 08:39 PM

Now for the carnage pics:

Bent towers:
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Cracked rear diff cover:
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Losi 8T 1.0, Savage Flux - XL style, LST XXL, Muggy, 3.3 E-Revo Conversion and sitting outside 425hp, 831 Tq Dodge Ram Turbo Diesel. It SMOKES

Old
  (#4)
Bondonutz
Fat Kid Engineering

09.07.2009, 08:42 PM

Crap, That sucks. I rekon the only way to fix that is FLM aluminum diff cases/bulkheads ?

I retired from RC, now life is all about guns and long range shooting.

Old
  (#5)
JThiessen
RC-Monster Brushless

09.07.2009, 08:55 PM

Yeah, its either throw another buck twenty at it (http://www.rc-monster.com/proddetail...LM40000&cat=31, or go back to stock......
I also saw that mike has an FLM rear carrier - but it doesnt say what its for. I would rather of bought that than the integy, if its for the Savage.

Old
  (#6)
Finnster
KillaHurtz

09.07.2009, 11:28 PM

How the hell did you bend your tower? Its like 8mm thick! Wow...

Old
  (#7)
88gtanotchback

09.07.2009, 11:46 PM

i think when it comes to things like shock towers, there needs to be room to flex. i went for the same FLM shock towers to mount up some Baja shocks on my savage, and they bent bad. not to impressed with the quality. I recommend you get the a720 big bores. there tough, fit with no modification, and work really well.

Old
  (#8)
Finnster
KillaHurtz

09.08.2009, 12:10 AM

Was it landing a big jump that bent the tower?
I've had mine nearly a year and have not done thing like that. I'm not reckless with the truck, but its had its share of wrecks. The most damage I do is bend shock shafts now and then. I do notice you have your shocks mounted way up higher than I have mine. Might be a leverage issue..?

Kindofa weird pic, but shows the mounting:

Old
  (#9)
scarletboa
RC-Monster Aluminum

09.08.2009, 02:34 AM

stock nitro shocks FTW!

they are dirt cheap, perfect stiffness, react very well to oil changes (i prefer 35wt) and the y are pretty smooth.

once the flux shocks go down in price, i might just run 8 of them on my BL savage.

They say a good mechanic only needs 2 tools - WD40 & Duct tape. If it moves, and its not supposed to, duct tape. If it doesn't move, and its supposed to, WD40.

Old
  (#10)
JThiessen
RC-Monster Brushless

09.08.2009, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnster View Post
How the hell did you bend your tower? Its like 8mm thick! Wow...
heh.....well, ya know....I guess I'll say that I am a bit reckless with it.

I have a set of ten-eighty launch ramps that I use as jumps (mostly since we dont have any tracks in our area). You can catch some good air off those.

I think I'm only mounted one set of holes higher than yours - but yes, I think going down another set would have helped in that regards. But this thing handles so poorly as it was, I would rather go up with it. The last set of pics doesnt show it very well, but I changed the orientation of the shock mount by rotating the upper screw hole down/inwards to the only hole that it would fit into. This seemed to put the stiff direction of the mount more in line with the load path, although I would have liked to rotate it just a little further. These shocks are mounted a long ways off the face of the tower, thus they can impart a very large moment on that plate, and in the area where the holes are, its not 8mm thick - more like 4-5mm (but I'd have to mic it to verify that). And with all those holes, its not a very stiff cross section. It appears that with the angle the mount was originally situated, combined with the likelyhood that the screws loosened some, it was very easy to bend it.

I've never been a big fan of aluminum parts for this very reason.

Old
  (#11)
JThiessen
RC-Monster Brushless

10.20.2009, 06:43 PM

I blew out my ankle last night playing basketball, and couldn't do the 3/4 mile walk into work (yes, its that far - worlds largest building by volume). So after watching as many hunting shows on TV as I could possibly stand, I figured I could manage to sit on my stool in front of the work bench and start fixin' on the Flux. I have the extended TVP's to install, the FLM diff cases, and the new Flux diff gears. I also needed to get it all apart and get the rest of the sand out of it (not familiar enough with the Savage yet to know where the tricky dirt hiding spots are).

First thing I noticed while taking it apart was that I sheared the upper shock tower mounting screws off. That sand must be a heck of a lot harder than one thinks. Hopefully, the FLM cases will take the loads better (knock on wood).
Next thing I noticed is that there is a ton of grease in the output cups, both on the diff's and on the tranny. So they were packed with dirt and grease - definitely something to monitor - anything that is metal to metal and holds dirt in place is a bad thing.

Putting the new TVP's one was quick and easy.
First shot shows the length difference - much more than I was expecting!
[IMG][/IMG]

These TVP's actually raise the tranny/motor/esc slightly - stock, the center shafts sit level. You can see the angle they sit at now. Might be about a quarter inch difference.
[IMG][/IMG]

After getting those installed, I moved on to the diffs. This pic shows the sheared off screws, and the greasy mess inside the housing. Very easy for dirt to get in, and must not be the best gaskets in the diff.
[IMG][/IMG]

While trying to pull the diff apart, I wasn't paying enough attention to what I was doing and stripped one of those damn phillips head screws. I managed to drill out the head, and pull it apart. But...I couldnt get the vise grips on what remained of the screw. So now I gotta order up a new cup (nobody carried any in stock locally).

So thats pretty much where it sits now. Will update as I progress....or digress....

Old
  (#12)
Slowkrawl
High-Voltage Fetish

10.20.2009, 07:11 PM

Which TVP's are those? Looks pretty good so far. As for the LST shocks, just not my thing I guess. I like the idea of them being stronger, but I also think there has to be a mix of using your shocks and your skidplates to soften a landing. I ordered some alum. big bores with the TI shafts, hopefully they hold up a little better. Stock shafts break quite a bit.

Also, your truck is not dirty enough. Take it out and beat the shit out of it haha.

Old
  (#13)
JThiessen
RC-Monster Brushless

10.20.2009, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowkrawl View Post
Which TVP's are those? Looks pretty good so far. As for the LST shocks, just not my thing I guess. I like the idea of them being stronger, but I also think there has to be a mix of using your shocks and your skidplates to soften a landing. I ordered some alum. big bores with the TI shafts, hopefully they hold up a little better. Stock shafts break quite a bit.

Also, your truck is not dirty enough. Take it out and beat the shit out of it haha.
They are the 1offRC plates.

You should be fine with those big bores. Trust me, the LST shocks are not a performance improvement - I just REALLY like the look of them. Everytime I considered converting an LST, it was only so I could have those shocks.

Yeah, its not very dirty, but I definitley have beat the crap out of it - if you count the number of broken parts so far - bumper braces front and rear, diff housing, shock tower - and the body is 90 percent duct tape.

Old
  (#14)
Slowkrawl
High-Voltage Fetish

10.20.2009, 10:28 PM

Cool, my 1off tvp's are in the mail.

Aren't lst shocks pretty pricey?

And that is what I like to hear, my body is zip-tied together. What are you going to use as a body with the new TVP's? There is not many options for an XL?

Old
  (#15)
JThiessen
RC-Monster Brushless

10.21.2009, 09:47 PM

I got my shocks off flea bay for about 50 bucks total. The expensive part was the towers, the LST mounts, and having to switch the rear hubs out.

As for bodies, I'm not certain yet. I like the HPI GT Gigante body IMG]http://www.rceasy.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/img_0796k.jpg[/IMG]

I got the shock towers straightened out today at work. Put them in the hydraulic press with a couple shims below and above, and took out most of the bend. Then on the bench vise, I just pushed it by hand. I was shocked how easy they bent - these really should have been made from 70 series aluminum. BTW, the area that bent was where all the mounting holes are, and its only about 5 or 6 mm thick there. Very soft.

So I fabbed up a brace to mount across the backside of the shocks. I used some AL .5" channel. Might not look great - but it should take out the bending moment due to the huge offset of the LST mounts. I'll wait to post pics when I get it all stuck back together.

I tore apart the front diff last night, and stripped ANOTHER screw. This time I was paying attention, and used a brand new tip on the driver. I really despise these guys using soft cheap screws in things like this. So I had to order another cup.

While I was on the HPI site tonight, I saw that they have a sway bar kit for the Savage line. Anyone ever use them on a Savage?

Last edited by JThiessen; 10.21.2009 at 09:49 PM.

Tags
flm towers, flux, integy carriers, lst shocks, savage