RC Monster

Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > Support Forums > HPI Savage

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old
  (#31)
Slowkrawl
High-Voltage Fetish

11.01.2009, 10:33 PM

Nice trucks man! For the new body holes on the flux xl, did you just use janeths "jig"?

Old
  (#32)
JThiessen
RC-Monster Brushless

11.01.2009, 10:41 PM

No - I did it old school. Put a dab of red paint on the posts, set the body down, then drill those holes, then do the same for the other holes. I would have drilled them before painting, but since I didn't have the truck together I had to do it the hard way.

I have to do some more trimming on the body - the front "bumper" area hits the springs a little.

Losi 8T 1.0, Savage Flux - XL style, LST XXL, Muggy, 3.3 E-Revo Conversion and sitting outside 425hp, 831 Tq Dodge Ram Turbo Diesel. It SMOKES

Old
  (#33)
suicideneil
They've been naughty boys, havent they Mr. Flibble

11.01.2009, 11:12 PM

Nice work. Whats the wheel base on the Flux now?
  Send a message via MSN to suicideneil  
Old
  (#34)
JThiessen
RC-Monster Brushless

11.02.2009, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suicideneil View Post
Nice work. Whats the wheel base on the Flux now?
Ya know, I was thinking on the way in to work this morning that I should have measured that. Comparing it to the LST, its about a 3/4" or so longer in wheelbase, so its probably right at 15" or so -

Losi 8T 1.0, Savage Flux - XL style, LST XXL, Muggy, 3.3 E-Revo Conversion and sitting outside 425hp, 831 Tq Dodge Ram Turbo Diesel. It SMOKES

Last edited by JThiessen; 11.02.2009 at 09:03 AM.

Old
  (#35)
Finnster
KillaHurtz

11.02.2009, 10:13 AM

Looks good man. Lots of shiney bits and the shell looks great too. My body is completely trashed, I should paint one up soon.
I really like the longer wheelbase on these. Its easy enough to do backflips w/ the XL, can't imagine trying to control the shorter version. Do you have a final weight? Wondering how all that alu adds up.

Old
  (#36)
JThiessen
RC-Monster Brushless

11.02.2009, 11:22 AM

I was pondering how I could get a weight on it. I might have a fish scale in my tackle box - but those tend be as accurate as the tale your telling...

Yeah, I've never been an advocate of bling. I kinda felt as though I was on a slippery slope when I started picking "heavy duty" parts.....we'll know soon enough how it holds up.

Old
  (#37)
suicideneil
They've been naughty boys, havent they Mr. Flibble

11.02.2009, 01:37 PM

Bah, nothing wrong with bling, just so long as its not pointless bling- FLM bulks and towers look very nice, yet completely functional

If you have kitchen scales, thats what I use to weigh my trucks with..
  Send a message via MSN to suicideneil  
Old
  (#38)
danhfvcsd

11.02.2009, 04:42 PM

Was i the only person to notice the little cartoon character covering the LST's nitro setup on the last picture posted on the 2nd page?!?! -lmao-

I had the same issue with the bulks and the steering arm - i tried fitting the stock, and a GPM arm and both had the rubbing - i just used the FLM part instead of filing it down...

I also have had a few extra screws in my FLM packages... I've been thinking that maybe they weigh the screws, and as long as it's over (and probably under also) a certain weight, then they probably just bag them... Just to save time counting the suckers... i dunno...

Old
  (#39)
JThiessen
RC-Monster Brushless

11.02.2009, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danhfvcsd View Post
Was i the only person to notice the little cartoon character covering the LST's nitro setup on the last picture posted on the 2nd page?!?! -lmao-
You win the award!!! Unfortunately, shipping to AUS ate up all the proceeds, so all you have left is the bragging rights!

I was wondering how long it was going to take someone to notice that. I just picked up that LST last week. Its next on the "chopping" block for conversion. Other than being stripped of a few parts, its in really good condition.

Old
  (#40)
Bondonutz
Fat Kid Engineering

11.02.2009, 06:19 PM

Looks great, Body is nice and clean.
The Flux looks good posing on the rocks.
Nice job ! ! !

I retired from RC, now life is all about guns and long range shooting.

Old
  (#41)
JThiessen
RC-Monster Brushless

11.02.2009, 07:46 PM

Those rocks are what we in eastern Montana called scorio. Its a red rock that's some kind of by product of lava. Its found where you'd also find piles of lava rock. Its about 1/3 the weight of an equivelent "rock". They use a lot of it for roads - especially the oil companies. I fill as much in my truck as I can every time I go back to the ranch. It really makes our landscape unique here in the Seattle area.

Old
  (#42)
Klausen
Brushless G-maxx

01.17.2010, 12:03 AM

Thanks for the input in my thread about the LST shocks on the Savage.

Now I have read your thread here, and what you say, it is no performance upgrade?

I have the traded my Summit to this Savage Flux, and as I (ofcourse) like to upgrade my trucks, I thought the LST shocks would be an improvement, over the ones I have. It cam with Integy piggybacks, but I also have the stockones.

Another issue is the space. I am running the Vantage carbon arms, and I donīt think they leave space for the LST shocks, right?

What upgrades do you suggest the most important. It allready have the bulletproof diffs, but maybe the FLM hybrid diffcasses and the ext. tvpīs?

Here is a link to the truck, as it is right now.

http://www.rcgalleri.dk/html/gal_vis...154&ipc=105807

Old
  (#43)
V0RT3X
Muggy love

01.17.2010, 08:23 AM

Aren't you afraid about the ESC sitting so high up? I'll probably go with the TCS XL plates since they're cheaper and you can mount the ESC down low.

Old
  (#44)
JThiessen
RC-Monster Brushless

01.17.2010, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klausen View Post
Thanks for the input in my thread about the LST shocks on the Savage.

Now I have read your thread here, and what you say, it is no performance upgrade?

I have the traded my Summit to this Savage Flux, and as I (ofcourse) like to upgrade my trucks, I thought the LST shocks would be an improvement, over the ones I have. It cam with Integy piggybacks, but I also have the stockones.

Another issue is the space. I am running the Vantage carbon arms, and I donīt think they leave space for the LST shocks, right?

What upgrades do you suggest the most important. It allready have the bulletproof diffs, but maybe the FLM hybrid diffcasses and the ext. tvpīs?

Here is a link to the truck, as it is right now.

http://www.rcgalleri.dk/html/gal_vis...154&ipc=105807
I dont think the LST shocks are as mucha performance upgrade as they are a "bling" thing. But I havent actually run it all that much so far - its the rainy season here. It looks like you could mount them using those arms. The LST shocks need to be offset from where the stock ones sit to accomodate their large diameter. On the rear, you need to eliminate the upper tie rod, which was accomplished by using the Integy carrier.

There aren't a whole lot of other performance upgrades one needs to do on this set up. Durability is actually quite high. You've done the diffs already - some have upgraded to the steel tranny gear (I haven't yet).

One thing is transferring some of your weight forward to keep the wheelies in check a little better. XL length TVP's would help this (as you've noted). Personally, if I had to do that again, I would use the FLM plates, but they weren't available at the time I did mine.
Most people seem to want a little wider stance on these, and there are several methods to do this. I chose the HPI mod with the extended outdrive cup.
The steering servo isn't the greatest - but it seems to function. Gee did a good thread on modding the Savage steering which seems to be very worthwhile.
Other than those, just drive the snot out of it until you start breaking things, then upgrade those as needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V0RT3X View Post
Aren't you afraid about the ESC sitting so high up? I'll probably go with the TCS XL plates since they're cheaper and you can mount the ESC down low.
I'm not sure that I understand. What should I be afraid of with it sitting there?

Last edited by JThiessen; 01.17.2010 at 12:13 PM.

Old
  (#45)
V0RT3X
Muggy love

01.17.2010, 12:08 PM

Could it get crushed if you land upside down? (besides the "rollbar")

Tags
flm towers, flux, integy carriers, lst shocks, savage