RC Monster

Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > Support Forums > HPI Savage

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old
  (#46)
JThiessen
RC-Monster Brushless

01.17.2010, 12:17 PM

No - its between the roll bar and the shock towers.

Losi 8T 1.0, Savage Flux - XL style, LST XXL, Muggy, 3.3 E-Revo Conversion and sitting outside 425hp, 831 Tq Dodge Ram Turbo Diesel. It SMOKES

Old
  (#47)
Klausen
Brushless G-maxx

01.18.2010, 07:26 AM

OK, thanks for the answers. I probably buy som new wheels and the FLM ext. TVPīs to start with, and then take it from there.

Old
  (#48)
JThiessen
RC-Monster Brushless

01.18.2010, 09:40 AM

When you get the TVP's, you will also want to order one of the longer XL drive shafts too....

Losi 8T 1.0, Savage Flux - XL style, LST XXL, Muggy, 3.3 E-Revo Conversion and sitting outside 425hp, 831 Tq Dodge Ram Turbo Diesel. It SMOKES

Old
  (#49)
Klausen
Brushless G-maxx

01.18.2010, 10:30 AM

Isnīt it the one that is included?

http://www.rc-monster.com/proddetail...m45400&cat=109

Old
  (#50)
JThiessen
RC-Monster Brushless

01.18.2010, 11:09 AM

Yep - I didn't know if FLM included them.

Old
  (#51)
JThiessen
RC-Monster Brushless

01.21.2010, 09:11 PM

I finally managed to weigh this beast - found out my wife has a kitchen scale!
with two Zippy 3S batt's, it weighed a mere 13.2 lbs. Not as bad as I though it would, but still a beast.

Old
  (#52)
V0RT3X
Muggy love

04.05.2010, 06:10 AM

Can you measure if there are any holes on the FLM tower that are 5.5cm apart? Like here on the stock towers:

Wonder if my Innovative RC LST mount for X towers will fit the FLM.

Old
  (#53)
JThiessen
RC-Monster Brushless

08.22.2010, 11:59 AM

I just recently had the opportunity to run this rig (I know, not much time to play). Brother in law and I took my ramps and my 4 trucks (Flux, Muggy, 2 Slash 4x4) and his FLM Maxx out to a school field.
First truck I ran was the Flux. I was also using my new G3 3S 6K packs (they are a VERY tight fit in these cases....) so I was hoping to get a good run on them. About 6 jumps, and 10 minutes of run time, I noticed the rear end sitting kinda funny. Pulled it in and voila! - all 4 screws attaching the FLM towers were gone. Later inspection showed that the screws had just come out, not pulled or sheared, thankfully. I must not have put loctite on those screws. Anyway, more inspection showed some badly bent shock shafts and leaking shocks. Sorry, no pics of the carnage, I've been too lazy to get fresh batteries in the camera (and busy - got bathroom remodel done, and had a water main leak that I had to dig a trench for...yuk!).

Since I've done this conversion to LST shocks, I have had nothing but problems with the truck, and all are related to the shocks/FLM parts. It doesn't jump near as well as it used to (can't even get close to doing a mid air back flip anymore) and with my limited ability to run it, I want to take it back to "stock".

So I pulled off the rear FLM/LST set up completely, and put all the stock hardware back in. One thing I noticed, the diff mesh sure feels a lot nicer in the FLM case. I move the shims all over the place on the plastic, and just could not get it to be as smooth as it felt in the FLM.

On the front, I decided to keep the FLM case (spur of the moment decision) #1) because of the feel of the diff, and #2) to help with keeping the front end down a little, which was one of my frustrations with the stock set up.

I'm also adding the HPI sway bar kit to the truck. I found that the FLM diff cases and the sway bar kit are not compatible, and had to do some significant modifications to both parts to get them installed. I'll notify FLM of the issue, and hopefully they can accomodate that in the future.

I'm trying two different things to keep dirt out of the diffs also - I put some heavy auto grease around the inspection hole on the rear, and I used a light coat of silicone on the front.

Last change was swapping out the servo for a HI-tech 5990 (I think that's the number....older model?). Hopefully that will solve some of my steering quirks that I've seen since it was new.

Yes, I'll post up some pics later if I get time....

Old
  (#54)
JThiessen
RC-Monster Brushless

08.23.2010, 02:02 PM

So yesterdays work on the truck was not without my standard group of issues, and then karma threw in a few more.

It began with me looking over the truck and noticing that something just wasn't right - I finally narrowed it down: Anyone see the problem?

So I tore it back down, fixed that issue and moved on to the front where I still had to install the "new" Airtronics high torque servo. Had to cut out some of the servo box to get it to fit in (the wires were riding hard on the front side of the compartment). Then had to spend an hour digging through all my stuff for an Airtronics servo horn - finally found a Revo horn to fit. Flash forward to my test run - the Revo horn is about 1/4" shorter in length than the stock one was, and the turnbuckle that attachs to it is not adjustable. What affect should this have on my steering? I think its slower, and not as much throw.

BTW, here is crummy pic of the clearances i had to make to the FLM bulks and HPI sway bar kit on the front. 1) Had to remove most of the top of the hinge pin area. 2) Had to chamfer the "ears" that stick out the side of the FLM bulkhead (not sure what they are for - the stock HPI bulks have them too), and 3) had to drill/tap mounting holes for the sway bar cover.

Now, back to my test run. First try, hit the throttle a little, and had lots of tire spin, but ZERO movement! DOH!!!! Freakin rookie move on my part not checking the diffs. Sat and looked at it for a time, trying to decide which end I felt like tearing apart this time. Decided to do the rear, as it would take less work. Well, come to find out that HPI has this little tiny tab in the diff case to keep you from putting the diff in backwards. So I grabbed a flat edge screw driver, and immediately had a custom HPI diff case!

Picked up a "sale" proline chebbie body for it and a Team Assosicated SC10 body. Got 'em in the paint booth now!

Old
  (#55)
Finnster
KillaHurtz

08.23.2010, 04:13 PM

So this is now an unbuild thread? lol

Old
  (#56)
JThiessen
RC-Monster Brushless

08.23.2010, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnster View Post
So this is now an unbuild thread? lol
Pretty much! Its all about trying things out, right?

Old
  (#57)
thzero
RC-Monster Aluminum

08.23.2010, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthiessen View Post
pretty much! Its all about trying things out, right?
+1 :)

Old
  (#58)
Bondonutz
Fat Kid Engineering

09.26.2010, 06:47 PM

I was looking around trying to find some info on the sway bars and FLM bulks and I found your thread.
Geesh, what the hell was FLM thinking when they designed these things, the sway kit was out prior to the bulks weren't they ?

Anyway, looks like a solid PITA to get them to work, is it worth the work tapping and modding the bulks . Did the handleing improve with the sways ???

Thanks,
J.

I retired from RC, now life is all about guns and long range shooting.

Old
  (#59)
JThiessen
RC-Monster Brushless

09.26.2010, 07:24 PM

It was a PIA, and I'm not totally happy with the work i didn on it. If I'd had more time and been patient, it could have turned out better.

I think there was a slight amount of improvment - I didn't roll it quite as much as I used to. But, I think you'd have to have run your truck with and without on the same track to really make a quantitative analysis.......

Old
  (#60)
Bondonutz
Fat Kid Engineering

09.26.2010, 07:33 PM

I think I'm going to cut the little ears off on the sides of the bulks and mount the sway bar plastic gimmick lower. I'm going to do it tomorrow with a fresh outlook after some sleep. If it comes out nice I'll post a pic.

I retired from RC, now life is all about guns and long range shooting.

Tags
flm towers, flux, integy carriers, lst shocks, savage