RC-Monster Forums  
RC Monster

Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > Support Forums > CORR Trucks - Slash, SCRT10, etc.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Got outerwears for my Slash 4x4 Ultimate
Old
  (#1)
Freezebyte

Got outerwears for my Slash 4x4 Ultimate - 01.18.2011, 01:49 AM

Been waiting to do my maiden drive with my new Slash 4x4 Ultimate until I got my blue Outerwears chassis covers. I've had good luck wit their products in the past, especially on my Baja 5T so I figured i'd give it a shot on my Slash and see how well it does for keeping it clean which I intend to find out tomorro hopefully.

Installation was pretty easy once I got a plan. First part was to clean the surfaces with some rubbing alcohol to make sure the velcro sticks well.

After that it was just a matter of measuring with my eye, trimming and applying the velcro in sections

I heard that some peeps wern't sure how to keep the back end sealed vs the 2wd Slash cover. A guy in a random forum suggested putting velcro on the gear cover and then pinching the mesh closed.

After about an hour, I was all done. The instructions state to let the velcro adhere to the surface for 24 hours. Dunno if thats really necassary but i'll let it sit overnight regardless.

With the velcro on the gear cover, I can still easily remove the cover and also have the cover mesh attached to keep junk outa the chassis. Works for me!

I"ll post my run, impressions and results of the cover in the crappy weather outside tomorroo along with pics and maybe a vid, stay tuned!

Old
  (#2)
E-Revonut
RC-Monster RC8T

01.18.2011, 03:24 AM

I guess if that cover is what you wanted then great, personally I would have went with an undertray type cover such as this http://www.jconcepts.net/store/index...roducts_id=371 I use one on my SC10 and it works great, easy to get on and off and keeps it clean, keeps the snow out too

RC-Monster RC8T 1515 2.5D/MMM/5s RC-M 4500mah
SC10 MMPro 13.5T 2s NeuEnery 5000mah
RC18T Mamba 25/5400kv 2s lipo + 6s NiMh

Old
  (#3)
Freezebyte

01.18.2011, 03:37 AM

Heard peeps have heat issues with them but I do plan on using a proline under body cover come spring time.

Old
  (#4)
Freezebyte

01.18.2011, 05:53 PM

Finally managed to get enough energy with my cold to go outside and give the slash its maiden voyage and to see how well the outerwears did as well as the truck itself as it being my first SC truck. I"ll let the pictures do the talking. It was a combo of ice, slush, water and concrete driving all around.

The outerwears did a decent job of keeping out most of the major stuff, some water got in, but I expected that. I imagine it will do better in dry stuff or mud which I may or may not test out. All in all, I was pleased with the outerwears. I was also very pleased at how easy it was to take apart the Slash 4x4 and get it into parts to check and dry out, traxxas definently did their homework on the design of the vehicle. And any way you slice it, the ability to rinse an RC truck in the bath tub without hurting it is very nice!

As far as the driving experience with my first slash 4x4, it was mixed. I immediately concluded that the Slash doesn't have a chance in hell of being a decent basher in comparison to my Flux. I got high centered on the smallest snow and dirt piles that my Flux would have laughed at in comparison. The handling was definentely sharp and crisp, a nice change from my lug of beast that the Flux is. The Slash 4x4 ult had decent power with the stock 7 cell nimh, however, it was like entirely different truck when I put in my 2s Turnigy 5200 lipo. Throttle response was immediately better along with crisper acceleration and just more power all around in comparison to the cell. 3s on this thing would be insane, never mind being on a track. I've been hearing some weakpoints in the design that 3s tends to bring out with the Slash 4x4 so I may or may not pursue that much power.

In all, I was dissapointed in the Slash 4x4's bashing ability, I definentely won't be taking this thing on any major offroad adventures, my Flux will provide in that area. However, once I got over the intital dissapointment of the truck, I could imagine it would be alot more enjoyable on a track, especially with other people around. Part of me wants to sell it and wait and see if SC racing will take off in my area. The other part of me is pleased with the design and layout of the truck, ease of diassembly and cleaning and maintanence and makes me wanna keep it longer till I get some runs in on a track with some of the local guys and their SC trucks. I won't be doing much for upgrades or mods in the future until I decide if the truck is worth keeping.

Old
  (#5)
josh9mille
RC-Monster Aluminum

01.22.2011, 11:26 PM

Somehow i knew you wouldnt really like it. What i would do (i doubt you will take this advice though) is buy the pede 4x4 wheels and tires, get a MT body that fits since the slash is longer than the pede. Just swap the tires/wheels and body depending on what ya wanna do and have the best of both worlds......a racer and a basher.

Built Ford tough, with Chevy stuff.

Old
  (#6)
lincpimp
Check out my huge box!

01.23.2011, 12:44 AM

I have never seen anyone exceed photobucket's free bandwidth. Need to delete those locked folders with all of your self portraits dude. No need to have all of those flexing poses saved. Beefcake!!!

Old
  (#7)
tedo
Vermont, USA

01.23.2011, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh9mille View Post
Somehow i knew you wouldnt really like it. What i would do (i doubt you will take this advice though) is buy the pede 4x4 wheels and tires, get a MT body that fits since the slash is longer than the pede. Just swap the tires/wheels and body depending on what ya wanna do and have the best of both worlds......a racer and a basher.
Dude, get some RPM revolver wide offset 2.2 wheels (needs to be wide to clear the steering knuckles) and some 2.2 MT tires (my mashers are 5inches tall), and you will have a very capable basher for the winter months. The stock slash tires are very small, and of course you will get hung up...

MBX6T: RX8 2000—sick!!!!
Campbell Buggy Rock Racer on 3S
4x4 Pede
1987 (Gen 1) Lunchbox

Old
  (#8)
thzero
RC-Monster Aluminum

01.23.2011, 01:09 PM

Or get some of the 12mm to 17mm hex adapters for running buggy wheels and run any number of the 17mm tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedo View Post
Dude, get some RPM revolver wide offset 2.2 wheels (needs to be wide to clear the steering knuckles) and some 2.2 MT tires (my mashers are 5inches tall), and you will have a very capable basher for the winter months. The stock slash tires are very small, and of course you will get hung up...

Old
  (#9)
tedo
Vermont, USA

01.23.2011, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thzero View Post
Or get some of the 12mm to 17mm hex adapters for running buggy wheels and run any number of the 17mm tires.
Yes, or that. FLM makes a great set that slide over your existing 12mm. Very, very simple. Plus Mike sells them in the store, so even better!

With a few small upgrades, you can have a very capable basher. No reason to sell it.

MBX6T: RX8 2000—sick!!!!
Campbell Buggy Rock Racer on 3S
4x4 Pede
1987 (Gen 1) Lunchbox

Old
  (#10)
Freezebyte

01.24.2011, 12:46 AM

Went and took the Slash for a drive in the snow a few days ago and had better results.

Old
  (#11)
fastbaja5b
RC-Monster Aluminum

01.24.2011, 09:01 AM

How are the temps under there. I know when I tried using an outerwears over my Dewalt motor in the Summit, the motor temps went through the roof.

Say Less, Do More.

Old
  (#12)
E-Revonut
RC-Monster RC8T

01.24.2011, 01:11 PM

Any way you look at it, temps shouldn't be to bad when your playing in the snow since the ambient temp is generally 32 or less. Unless it's a big heavy MT geared to the moon, the trucks do gain weight as the snow collects on them. Thats one reason my Flux is geared down now

RC-Monster RC8T 1515 2.5D/MMM/5s RC-M 4500mah
SC10 MMPro 13.5T 2s NeuEnery 5000mah
RC18T Mamba 25/5400kv 2s lipo + 6s NiMh