RC Monster

Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > RC-Monster Area > General Discussion

Getting Race Ready!
Old
  (#1)
nbcaznmaster
RC-Monster Cult Member

Getting Race Ready! - 10.30.2006, 10:31 PM

Ima be able to finnally race. Parents woulndt drive me before, but its my b-day next mon, so they will. I wil be getting 7.4v3800mah limn packs. Would they last 10 minutes on an e-revo, 14/72, locked in 2nd gear? Regular maxx tire size. I dont want to worry about temps while racing. That is my biggest worry. I'll be running some cheapo 16 cell 3300s in the qualifiers. My batt tray sags down everytime i get a hard landing. I used m3 tape but it still moves a lil, is there a way to stop it withing my 5 day prepration time period? Im worried about limn, never had them before. Anything i should do to protect it or should know bout limn. For example, how to charge/take care. Is it okay to charge it up the night before and leave it sitting there till tis race time next morning? Will the batt drain like limn and i will have to give it a refresher charge? The track has a generator but the power is iffy. If to many people use i wont get much pwoer. SHould i use a car battery for charging limn? i dont think i have one with me, unless i steal it form my parent's car. What owould happen if the charger has inconsisten amount of juice going into it?

PS, any have some med-hot plugs who live near NJ, i need some ASAP. Also need a coupler for Smallblock trinity manifold!

Last edited by nbcaznmaster; 10.30.2006 at 10:33 PM.
  Send a message via AIM to nbcaznmaster  
Old
  (#2)
BrianG
RC-Monster Admin

10.30.2006, 11:18 PM

I get about 15 minutes of runtime out of 14 GP3300 cells on my 10.5lb Revo (with batts), so you should be able to get 10 minutes. How heavy is your Revo? Weight is a factor.

Do you have a picture of your trays? I'm having a little trouble visualizing the sag you are talking about.

AFAIK, LiMn is "safer" than regular Lipos as far as the explosive aspect, but you should still take care not to overcharge/overdischarge them because the cells can still get damaged. I assume you are talking about the Apogee packs?

You'll be fine to charge them the night before. You just don't want them sitting for long periods of time (like weeks) at a max charge. As far as self-discharge, I'm not sure. They can't be any worse than NiMH cells!

What are you using for a charge? Is it one of those 12v input ones? If so, what power supply are you using? Most 12v switching power supplies (if that's what you're using) have a decent voltage input range they will operate fine in.

Some chargers are more sensitive to the voltage level and/or voltage quality than others. It really depends on how they are built, what kind and how adequate the filters are, etc. Some chargers don't like a "noisy" input and might error out when you try to charge you LiMNs at max charge current. If this happens, you can try reducing the charge rate which will pull less current and tax the power less maybe letting it be a little cleaner. Of course, charging will take longer...
  Send a message via Yahoo to BrianG Send a message via MSN to BrianG  
Old
  (#3)
nbcaznmaster
RC-Monster Cult Member

10.31.2006, 06:25 AM

I have an apache 2500, ima try to run the setup at full speed for 5minutes to simulate race condition, and then try to get teh temp. my gp3300s barely get 10 minutes! haha, maybe i should get some new batts. The PS is one of them computer ps taht were converted.
Old
  (#4)
nbcaznmaster
RC-Monster Cult Member

10.31.2006, 05:01 PM

i basicly went full throttle and stoipped when the performance turned pretty bad. I got about 7 minutes from them. Also, temps were about 200 for motor....and 110 for esc. Are these too high? The esc has a fan so taht might have kept it really cool. I ran only 13 cells this time. What temps do you expect with 14 cells? or 14.4v limn packs?
Old
  (#5)
coolhandcountry
RC-Monster Mod

11.01.2006, 07:42 PM

Do you have a LVC on the truck for limn? It make sure you don't over draw the batts.

Peace!
Country
Help support the
Rc-Monster
Buy here

My pics and videos

Old
  (#6)
nbcaznmaster
RC-Monster Cult Member

11.01.2006, 08:06 PM

yes on the lvc
Old
  (#7)
BrianG
RC-Monster Admin

11.01.2006, 08:14 PM

Well, hot motor, cool ESC usually means it's not geared high enough. That may effect runtime. How hot are your batts when the motor is 200? 110 for an ESC is pretty cool even with a fan, so it sounds like it isn't working all that hard.

I've said this in a few threads now; but if you draw heavy current out of batteries, you won't get the full Ah rating out of them because some of that power is wasted as heat on the battery itself. Drawing less current won't heat them up near as bad and will allow you to run them to just about their Ah rating, which translates as more runtime.
  Send a message via Yahoo to BrianG Send a message via MSN to BrianG  
Old
  (#8)
nbcaznmaster
RC-Monster Cult Member

11.01.2006, 08:48 PM

hmm, never took temps on batt, but i they were about 100 or so. They felt the same as teh esc. is my gearing absurdly low though? Can you guys tell me how you guys gear it with teh same amount of cells, motor/esc combo.
Old
  (#9)
nbcaznmaster
RC-Monster Cult Member

11.02.2006, 04:29 PM

NEW results with 16/72 gearing, motor 180, so it probbably was that i undergeared it! batt and esc at bout 120-130. Problem is that i only got 5 minutes! Also, the esc started to get brake fade. cuz of the higher temps, grr, brake fade will cripple me in races, nothigns worse then having your car ram into the barriers.
Old
  (#10)
nbcaznmaster
RC-Monster Cult Member

11.03.2006, 12:04 AM

Also, what about water proofing? They might wet down teh tracks right before our races. Do i have to worry bout mud getting on batts nimh. I covereed up the rx decently, but i doubt the esc and motor will get caked because fo they way i mounted it.
Old
  (#11)
JThiessen
RC-Monster Brushless

11.03.2006, 11:05 AM

Hey, nc....is that your for sale thread over on RCtech? Shoot, If I'd known you were selling that radio equipment, I would have been all over it!

Losi 8T 1.0, Savage Flux - XL style, LST XXL, Muggy, 3.3 E-Revo Conversion and sitting outside 425hp, 831 Tq Dodge Ram Turbo Diesel. It SMOKES

Old
  (#12)
nbcaznmaster
RC-Monster Cult Member

11.03.2006, 03:29 PM

waht radio equipmetn? Do you mean the m8 or jr xs3? i got a nother m8 but its limited and has spek. Its my only one but i will give it up fi you got some nice stuff. Also, my limn just came in with apage. Anythign i should do after opening them up? Other than charge cuz i dont got my balencers yet.
Old
  (#13)
squeeforever
RC-Monster Mod

11.03.2006, 04:06 PM

Wow...He was doing so well...I geus iT si bAK to his spellinh lick dis....

Last edited by squeeforever; 11.03.2006 at 04:07 PM.
  Send a message via AIM to squeeforever  
Old
  (#14)
neweuser
RC Monster, the Final Frontier

11.03.2006, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeeforever
Wow...He was doing so well...I geus iT si bAK to his spellinh lick dis....
LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :027: :027: :027: :027: :027:

"if you've got something to say, say it peacefully"
  Send a message via MSN to neweuser  
Old
  (#15)
nbcaznmaster
RC-Monster Cult Member

11.03.2006, 04:39 PM

mokc me but u wnot helpm e?!??! ANSER MY QUESTISONS! My race is in 2 days! i need HEELP!

Last edited by nbcaznmaster; 11.03.2006 at 04:59 PM.