RC-Monster Forums  
RC Monster

Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > Questions and Answers > Pre Sales Questions

Old
  (#16)
Sammus
RC-Monster Titanium

03.11.2008, 02:40 AM

Another question about these RCM pinions... I bought a couple a while back when I started my brushless phase. I had a 14t unused, and I needed a new motor for my rustler. So I bolted up my 40t revo spur, went and got a ammo 36-50-3300 for the ol rusty ($30!) and pulled out my as yet unused 14t pinion as was greeted with it covered in rust!

Now I don't live near too close to the sea or in a particularly humid environment, and I've never seen a pinion rust up like from just sitting there. Should I be worried?

Old
  (#17)
glassdoctor
TEAM FUSION

03.11.2008, 03:04 AM

Nothing to worry about, but I would use a wire brush on it to clean the rust off and spray it with WD-40 or similar product to keep it from rusting again.

They are steel... which will rust without a coating of some kind. Many pinions on the market have a coating... paint/varnish, nickel/chrome, etc... and some are alum or stainless... which is why we normally don't see rust.

Jammin CRT MM/Neu 1515 1700kv
Losi 8IGHT MM/Neu 1512 1900kv
Kyosho 777
T4 MM 5700
B4 LRP
XX4 MM 7700
old losi xxcr, MM4600 4s lipo 70mph+

Old
  (#18)
glassdoctor
TEAM FUSION

03.11.2008, 03:11 AM

Now I have a question about the gears...

I have a few RCM gears and only one of them was made from a clutch bell, with the more narrow pointy teeth. The others have a tooth shape just like the other gears, such as the (soft) Century ones and Megamotor ones. They don't look much different at all.

I haven't used any of them with steel spurs yet, and would prefer to not have to. But I am curious about how they would do, and if there's a difference between the older clutch-bell gear and the ones RCM has now, which look "normal".

Kyosho 777
T4 MM 5700
B4 LRP
XX4 MM 7700

Old
  (#19)
BrianG
RC-Monster Admin

03.11.2008, 03:43 AM

I just spray a little WD-40 on the pinions before I put the vehicle away and that prevents the rust.

Can't comment on the older "pointy" pinions, but the newer hardened ones wear quite well. The one in my Hyper8 is still perfectly fine and you've seen how I treat that thing.
  Send a message via Yahoo to BrianG Send a message via MSN to BrianG  
Old
  (#20)
glassdoctor
TEAM FUSION

03.11.2008, 03:56 AM

LOL... yep your throttle finger has a bit of a "lead foot" disease ha ha ha

Kyosho 777
T4 MM 5700
B4 LRP
XX4 MM 7700

Old
  (#21)
BrianG
RC-Monster Admin

03.11.2008, 04:13 AM

Yeah, but that power is soooo addicting!
Old
  (#22)
RC-Monster Mike
Site Owner

03.12.2008, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassdoctor View Post
Now I have a question about the gears...

I have a few RCM gears and only one of them was made from a clutch bell, with the more narrow pointy teeth. The others have a tooth shape just like the other gears, such as the (soft) Century ones and Megamotor ones. They don't look much different at all.

I haven't used any of them with steel spurs yet, and would prefer to not have to. But I am curious about how they would do, and if there's a difference between the older clutch-bell gear and the ones RCM has now, which look "normal".

Our newest style hardened pinions will likely outlast the steel spur gears - they are super hard and made from premium, high wear resistant steel, then treated to super hardness. I don't want to jinx myself here, but we haven't seen a single failure or worn out pinion in well over 1000 gears sold - I have run them on the Losi steel spur for quite some time and there is barely any visible wear, if any (discoloration at the mesh point, but not wear).

That rusted pinion shown above must have been shelved for a bit to get that rusty - that is a previous version (same as Brian G's), which was heat treated for hardness as well as black oxide coated to minimize rust(black oxide is technically rust anyways) - a little oil as mentioned by others will solve this issue, but I suspect it may have been stored in a somewhat humid, musty or otherwise moist environment - steel rusts, though. Clean it, oil it and run it and you will be fine. :)

Old
  (#23)
BrianG
RC-Monster Admin

03.12.2008, 12:59 PM

Small corrections Mike:

I do have a "previous version" pinion, but only in 16T form and so uses are limited. In the time I ran it, it hasn't shown any wear either. I also have a few of your newer style versions and they are just as good, if not better wear-wise. The newer style is what I was referring to a few posts up.

And, shouldn't the order of operation be: run it first, then clean and oil it?
Old
  (#24)
RC-Monster Mike
Site Owner

03.12.2008, 01:10 PM

The newer pinions are made from superior material ( your pinion is the same material as most nitro spurs, which is fine, but the new material is stronger and much more wear resistant to begin with). Even the older one that you have hold up extremely well, and I haven't gotten any of these back, either. The new gears are superior, though. And we have 10t all the way to 25t, so you can almost surely find the one you need.

Regarding the "order of operations" - yes, in the future your order is correct, but based on the picture, I would clean it, oil it and then run it.
For future uses, the run, clean and then oil it "order" may apply, though. :)

Last edited by RC-Monster Mike; 03.12.2008 at 01:11 PM.

Old
  (#25)
Sammus
RC-Monster Titanium

03.12.2008, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC-Monster Mike View Post
That rusted pinion shown above must have been shelved for a bit to get that rusty - that is a previous version (same as Brian G's), which was heat treated for hardness as well as black oxide coated to minimize rust(black oxide is technically rust anyways) - a little oil as mentioned by others will solve this issue, but I suspect it may have been stored in a somewhat humid, musty or otherwise moist environment - steel rusts, though. Clean it, oil it and run it and you will be fine. :)
Than pinion in the photo is one I bought from RCM in my first order just over a month ago (early feb). It has been sitting in my parts box in my house up until a few days ago when I took that photo...

Old
  (#26)
othello
HV basher

03.12.2008, 09:00 PM

Hmm ... don't want to be picky ... seems that i'm the only one who "killed" a rcmonster hardenend pinion (it lasted for 20 runs in a 11lbs Truggy, Neu 1515/2Y with 10s1p A123). I ordered mine 2 months ago. I now use a cut off clutchbell pinion with the same steel spur. I related the excessive wear to motor mount flex.

Brushless 1:5 custom 4wd Baja based on 1:8 truggy chassie
Jazz 55-10-32, Neu 1515/2Y (1100kv), 9s2p A123 (27v), up to 3.1KW
Latest video with eagletree Data inserts: Run on asphalt

Last edited by othello; 03.12.2008 at 09:01 PM.

Old
  (#27)
Sammus
RC-Monster Titanium

03.12.2008, 10:22 PM

Another note, I bought 3 pinions in that first order (14,16,18) and 3 in an order a couple weeks later (17,18,19) and none of them have a black oxide coating like in the above pics. They all look like bare hardened steel - with that bronzish colour tinge to it. They have all started to rust like the photo I posted earlier since I bought them.

Not really complaining, just stating my experience. I cleaned them and oiled them and they look a lot better now.

Old
  (#28)
BrianG
RC-Monster Admin

03.12.2008, 11:48 PM

The metal that pinion is made of looks different than the pinions I have, both the earlier "clutchbell type" and the newer style. Are you sure you got the hardened one??
Old
  (#29)
Sammus
RC-Monster Titanium

03.12.2008, 11:58 PM

I keep hearing people talk about 5mm mod1 pinions that AREN'T hardened - and ever since I heard of this site I've never seen them available at the store here. I got the only ones available through the RCM store, which yes are definitely hardened:

If you still don't believe me and think I somehow chose 'non-hardened' from that list, I'll PM you the order numbers and my email address so you can have a look at the receipts in the 'order tracking' section.

Last edited by Sammus; 03.13.2008 at 12:03 AM.

Old
  (#30)
glassdoctor
TEAM FUSION

03.13.2008, 12:05 AM

The RCM pinions I just got recently aren't black either... they are a sorta bronze color.

The only pinion I have that has a surface rust, is a lighter, more "silver" color.

Kyosho 777
T4 MM 5700
B4 LRP
XX4 MM 7700