Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > Support Forums > Crawlers/Scale Vehicles

XR10 motor/esc suggestions
Old
  (#1)
kulangflow
Never Fast Enough

XR10 motor/esc suggestions - 03.07.2011, 03:45 PM

Greetings,

I just built a new XR10. I know the hot setup is 2 FXR's and a Futaba 4PL, but I already own some electronics that need a home.

Mamba Max
UBEC
DX3R and DX6i plus receivers for both

So, do you think it will work well enough to just grab some Integy 45 or 55T lathe motors and go with the single MM and DX3R? Or would I be better off going for a different power plant, etc?

Thanks!

Brian

He's down by the river ... walking on water.

Old
  (#2)
lincpimp
Check out my huge box!

03.07.2011, 04:02 PM

It is still 10th scale, so I cannot see why a pair of lathe motors and your current equipment would not work just fine.

Do you plan to run rear steer? Pretty sure you can setup the dx3r to mix the 3rd channel. And if you want to add another esc later you can use the dx6i for independant axle control.

My only question would be voltage? 2s or 3s? I liked the way the 55t motors ran on 3s lipo. No sweat for the MM.

Is your ubec adjustable? Picked a servo yet? I would spend the money on a really good servo before shelling out any money for another esc. After reading the specs on the turnigy hv300 that looks like a really good sevo. Use a ccbec to run 11v directly to it and run the rx off the MM internal bec. This would require running 3s lipo, I alays used 2100-2200mah pack on my 10th crawlers as they fit in more places than a larger lipo, and offered plenty of runtime with less weight.

Old
  (#3)
kulangflow
Never Fast Enough

03.07.2011, 05:05 PM

I don't plan to run rear steer, but I would like dig. I will be running 3s lipo. I have a bunch of 3s 1600 and 2200 packs for my airplanes, so they should fit the bill.

For a servo, I have a 7955tg. The UBEC isn't adjustable, but it is factory set at 6V I believe, so it should get the job done.

Old
  (#4)
Aussie Nerd

03.07.2011, 05:29 PM

It isn't going to be the best or most capable set up but it will definitely work. My only recommendation is it get some decent handwounds now instead of the integy, that way it's one less thing to upgrade later. Holmes Hobbies and Team br00d are the big names in crawler motors. Something like 35-45t on 3s seems to be the general set up. Any more voltage you most likely going to find the limits of the stock gears/bearing very quick

With the 7995, you might want to look into either buying or making an extended plate for the knuckles. The stock one doesn't give the servos either leverage, and really limits the torque of the servo. Plus the extended arms help the servo run cooler.

If your not on rc crawler forums already, I suggest you join up, as you'll get a lot more help over there.

Good luck, and have fun crawling!

Kieren

Old
  (#5)
rootar
RC-Monster Titanium

03.09.2011, 02:34 PM

grab some Broods they are worth every penny

i run the 2 mag 35t 10mm comm 20.5g wire HHK motors they are amazing motors!

Old
  (#6)
kulangflow
Never Fast Enough

03.09.2011, 04:33 PM

Thanks for the replies!

I picked up some inexpensive (probably crappy) Integy hand-wound 55T motors at the LHS yesterday.

They're certainly not as good as Br00d or Holmes, but they're just for crawling around the yard, not for comps, so they'll probably suffice.

I noticed that the 35T or 45T is the most common, but I went with the 55T motors because I don't use wheel-speed often enough to need anything hotter.

I can always upgrade later, right? :-)