12.18.2011, 04:23 AM

Spot the difference

This might help...

Kieren

Old
  (#62)
Aussie Nerd

12.20.2011, 07:34 PM

This updates a couple days old now, but I'll post up anyway.

Weight of Eritex Charlotte (light version)

Weight with my parts

Just to show how much room these wheels have. Note that the weights on there are already 'oversize' at 44mm compared to the standard 38mm or 40.5mm.

Kieren

Old
  (#63)
Aussie Nerd

12.28.2011, 11:07 PM

Just a little project I tried to test out my new toy for the mill. Unfortunately this one will have to remain a unfinished prototype, I stuffed up the position of the bearing pockets so the mesh is too tight.

Kieren

Your a lucky man.
Old
  (#64)
JERRY2KONE
JERRY2KONE SUPERMAXX

Your a lucky man. - 12.30.2011, 07:41 AM

Your a lucky man to have access to such tools and have the time to play like this. You are on another level from what most of us are able to accomplish in this hobby, and it is nice to see someone have the chance to take things to a whole other level in the hobby that we all know and love. I always look forward to ready through your updates sir. I wish I had the machining tools, and skills that you posess for doing this kind of work.

What you experienced with this particular project is exactly what scared me off from becoming a career machinist, because of the failure factor involved. Thinking that you could litterally spend thousands of hours working on a project for some client and end up destroying it with one tiny mistake, and having to start all over again worried me. So I became a mechanic instead. Although I do wish that I had the skills to do what you are doing I have experienced the same level of confidence working with wood. Keep up the great work and please keep sharing your projects. Have a Happy New Year 2012.

SUPERMAXX YOUR LIFE.

Old
  (#65)
coolhandcountry
RC-Monster Mod

12.30.2011, 08:44 AM

Looks great!
All the new and unique things about the truck is just great to look at.
What is the deal with the new gear box?
Lower gearing or just stronger?

Peace!
Country
Help support the
Rc-Monster
Buy here

My pics and videos

Metal
Old
  (#66)
JERRY2KONE
JERRY2KONE SUPERMAXX

Metal - 12.30.2011, 08:55 AM

Heck you might as well just machine a custom gearbox out of aluminum and rid any chance of flexing which can destroy your nice steel gear setup? Your work has been impecable so far so I am sure making a new gearbox is not that far out of reach for you.

SUPERMAXX YOUR LIFE.

Old
  (#67)
Aussie Nerd

12.31.2011, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERRY2KONE View Post
Your a lucky man to have access to such tools and have the time to play like this. You are on another level from what most of us are able to accomplish in this hobby, and it is nice to see someone have the chance to take things to a whole other level in the hobby that we all know and love. I always look forward to ready through your updates sir. I wish I had the machining tools, and skills that you posess for doing this kind of work.

What you experienced with this particular project is exactly what scared me off from becoming a career machinist, because of the failure factor involved. Thinking that you could litterally spend thousands of hours working on a project for some client and end up destroying it with one tiny mistake, and having to start all over again worried me. So I became a mechanic instead. Although I do wish that I had the skills to do what you are doing I have experienced the same level of confidence working with wood. Keep up the great work and please keep sharing your projects. Have a Happy New Year 2012.
Thanks very much for the kind words. I really lucked out as the old man is a fitter and turner and I get to use all his tools and machines. I'm hoping to invest in a desktop CNC sometime in the new year to hopefully kick things up a notch.

I know what your saying, but at the moment the machining is just hobby stuff, so if I stuff up it's not to costly to have another crack. That's quite funny you should say that, I'm terrible making anything out of wood

Thank you, happy new year too you too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolhandcountry View Post
Looks great!
All the new and unique things about the truck is just great to look at.
What is the deal with the new gear box?
Lower gearing or just stronger?
Thanks!

I was making the gearbox mainly to be more compact. It still uses all the original gears etc just a different housing to hold it all together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERRY2KONE View Post
Heck you might as well just machine a custom gearbox out of aluminum and rid any chance of flexing which can destroy your nice steel gear setup? Your work has been impecable so far so I am sure making a new gearbox is not that far out of reach for you.
Oh but delrin machines like butter, it also slides on rocks extremely well. I'm going to redesign the housing so it should be easier to get the bearings positioned and have another crack at it.

Happy new year to all!
Kieren

Old
  (#68)
Aussie Nerd

12.31.2011, 02:56 AM

I forgot to put these updates up so here's a few pictures for any onlookers...

Here's a few pictures of my trip to north NSW. For the most part I could only look at majority of the rock seen on the trip, that said though of what I saw quite a bit was man made rock walls, which can be pretty much all the same. However I did find a couple natural formations (only got to drive on one though), so it wasn't all the same. One thing that I noticed on all the rock down there was a large decrease in grip compared to my usual spot, but then again sandpaper is a decrease in grip compared to my normal rock

First spot I actually drove on was a rock wall at Fingal Head/Tweed Heads. Wasn't a whole lot here that was actually drivable due to the nature of the rock, but had some fun anyway.

Kieren

Old
  (#69)
Aussie Nerd

12.31.2011, 02:56 AM

Look out for more shortly. Also sorry no video as I still haven't got myself a decent video camera. It's on the wish list though so hopefully shortly.

Kieren

Old
  (#70)
Aussie Nerd

12.31.2011, 02:57 AM

Those with a keen eye might have noticed I've gone to pinks all round. I found this work a lot better in allowing the rig to transition from one rock to the next. Also I'm still running the same electronics as before. The servo is as brutally powerful as before and I don't know what I'd do without that much power and speed sometimes. The mini pullers sometimes lack in the power department but otherwise have proved to be quite a good all rounder motor. They can suck a battery down mighty fast though if you get them locked up a few times. The smashed mamba micros have been powering the pullers fine too, with no heat troubles whatsoever.

I know a few were interested in the durability of the rear axle set up, so I'll comment there too. The tubes have been smashed and bashed with no consideration, but have still come back for more. Sure I haven't driven straight off a 3-5ft cliff, but I try to avoid that on principle anyway! With the gearbox shave, I'd highly recommend it if you feel comfortable in hacking a berg axle up. I think I have touched the lexan cover perhaps 5 times now out of one comp and numerous practice sessions, and never got hung up on it or the motor. There is a picture in the next lot of photos showing just how much clearance it gives you.

Anyway enough talk time for RD2 of pictures. This time from Ballina, I think the actual spot was near Rose beach, but I couldn't be 100% sure. I took a lot of pictures here so this is just one half.

Kieren

Old
  (#71)
Aussie Nerd

12.31.2011, 02:58 AM

Kieren

Old
  (#72)
Aussie Nerd

12.31.2011, 02:59 AM

I spy with my little eye...

RD 3 coming soon...
Kieren

Old
  (#73)
Aussie Nerd

12.31.2011, 03:00 AM

After a while of getting a feel for the rock, got out some tennis balls and set up a course and had a mini comp between the old man and myself. It really comes down the driver when your both running the same rig, makes you learn anyway. The camera died about halfway through the first course I think so I didn't get many pictures of the two course we ran. I would have really liked to get some video of this as there was some decent little gates that took a bit of thinking about. I think I finally need to give up being scrooge and just buy a GoPro. That way I should be able to film and drive at the same time.

RD3, again at Ballina

See if you can follow this

Kieren

Old
  (#74)
Aussie Nerd

12.31.2011, 03:01 AM

Kieren

Old
  (#75)
Aussie Nerd

12.31.2011, 03:02 AM