Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > RC-Monster Area > General Discussion

Old
  (#16)
lutach
RC-Monster Dual Brushless

01.13.2010, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redshift View Post
Yeah they could've done much better.....

I forgot about that video. I think I have it in my favorites. So there you have it guys, redshift just dropped the bomb lol. A car carrying its own weight in batteries alone will do more harm then good to the drive train, brakes, handling and who knows what else. The batteries aren't capable of charging fast even if used with a powerful charger. Please look at the pictures I attached of the transaxle (s) (transmission (s) as it can have up to 3 speed) I'm thinking off using. So Tesla could've done something very stout with a better LCG. Oh no, does the motor on the first transaxle looks familiar? Yes it does as it is the same motor in the Tesla. The other transaxle has a brushed style motor.

Edit: Forgot to mention that a 4WD set up can easily be made using those transaxles.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	electric transaxle.jpg
Views:	401
Size:	14.7 KB
ID:	8346   Click image for larger version

Name:	electric transaxle without motor.jpg
Views:	388
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	8347   Click image for larger version

Name:	electric transaxle 2.gif
Views:	384
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	8348  

Name:	eletric transaxle 3.gif
Views:	380
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	8349  

Last edited by lutach; 01.13.2010 at 06:22 PM.
  Send a message via MSN to lutach  
Old
  (#17)
lutach

01.13.2010, 06:29 PM

Man, I made changes to the post for Tesla's blog, but they still didn't didn't post it. What is wrong with them? I didn't say anything that violated their rules, did I? Can any of you copy and post it to see if they allow it? Here is the link: http://www.teslamotors.com/blog4/?p=68.

Here it is again:

If Tesla uses higher rate of discharge batteries, they wouldn't need a pack that weighs 1000 pounds and you can get better performance out of it. Is it a price issue as why to use the lower C rated Energy type cells? I have access to similar capacity cells that has the capability of 60-100C rate of discharge and 10 second burst of up to 200C above 2 volts (Not A123 Systems). The Panasonic cells might not even be able to pull 10 or 20C rate of discharge. The datasheet only shows info of 2C rate of discharge, so the Tesla pack would realistic be only capable of 300A. Now lets give it the benefit of the doubt it puts out 5-8C rate of discharge at above 2 volts and that's around the 800A+ they claimed it made in a video I saw. Tesla (Elon Musk), try using better cells instead of Laptop cells and see how faster your Tesla will be (0-60), because it'll be able to hold its voltage higher while putting out more power. You can even get faster charging times as well due to the cells being able to accept a higher current. All you have to do if offer a more powerful charger for the clients who needs it.

Last edited by lutach; 01.13.2010 at 06:31 PM.
Old
  (#18)
lutach

01.14.2010, 11:30 AM

Just think if Tesla went with this unit. Please see attached picture and file. Talk about ground shaking torque. Just think what it'll do if more powerful motors are used? I'll post more goods later.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Dual Motor Drive Unit.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	8352  
Attached Files
File Type: doc DEDU300KW.doc (486.0 KB, 357 views)
Old
  (#19)
lutach

01.14.2010, 05:52 PM

Tesla can also go with a nice hybrid unit such as the following. With over $500 million in Government loan, it should be easy for Tesla to do it. Lets wait and see how they'll waste it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Pure Electric or Hydrid AWD Unit.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	8356  
Attached Files
File Type: doc EHAWDU50KW.doc (67.0 KB, 360 views)
Old
  (#20)
shaunjohnson
i pwn nitro

01.14.2010, 06:08 PM

it's gonna cost me a mere 10k to convert my nissan manette into a crappy brushed boring lead acid powered machine.
the batteries will weigh half a ton and the motor is capable of 110hp continuous (stock diesel engine is only good for 67bhp LOL) and it has a GVM of 2.4 ton so plenty of room for batts.
the batts can also be stored either side of the tain shaft as once the fuel tank is gone there is sooooo much room under there!!!

when i win the lotto i'm gonna hire michael neu to make me a NEU 25587225567734523452...with that many numbers compared to a 1515 then it has to be huge LOL then hire castle to make me a bigger version of the HV200 (HV 1000+)
i guess i had better start buying lotto tickets

E-revo 3.3 conversion, 249kv outrunner, 6s, MMM
the porthole from the noob world an here has been opened!! that's how i got in.
  Send a message via MSN to shaunjohnson  
Old
  (#21)
lutach

01.14.2010, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunjohnson View Post
it's gonna cost me a mere 10k to convert my nissan manette into a crappy brushed boring lead acid powered machine.
the batteries will weigh half a ton and the motor is capable of 110hp continuous (stock diesel engine is only good for 67bhp LOL) and it has a GVM of 2.4 ton so plenty of room for batts.
the batts can also be stored either side of the tain shaft as once the fuel tank is gone there is sooooo much room under there!!!

when i win the lotto i'm gonna hire michael neu to make me a NEU 25587225567734523452...with that many numbers compared to a 1515 then it has to be huge LOL then hire castle to make me a bigger version of the HV200 (HV 1000+)
i guess i had better start buying lotto tickets
I'll bet that Nissan will destroy a Tesla . I usually wait until the Mega Millions is at $200 million and play $1. If the numbers comes out, the investment to winnings ratio is huge after close to half if not more then half is taken away . I'm talking with a few in the auto racing industry. Lets see if they can understand how things works to make a real electric car.
Old
  (#22)
Patrick
RC-Monster Aluminum

01.15.2010, 10:21 AM

With the battery safety thing, making sure they won't over heat under heavy load is important of course, but the thing that's always worried me is what happens in a car crash? Do they catch fire once punctured like the lipo's we use can?

I would like to see some decent electric cars around, and wouldn't mind trying to make one my self if it wasn't for the battery cost, cycle life and safety (might get batteries that solve 2 of those problems, but not all 3 at once, not yet)

Does anyone now what the average power draw of a medium size car, being driven at normally is? I see cars with big roofs that in the sun most of the day while people are at work and wonder what a solar panel sitting on top would be like (vans are good, lots of roof space, plus the roof is high enough no one has to look at the solar panel). Drive ~30minutes to work, let the solar panel recharge the battery during the day, then drive ~30 minutes home again. If the panel can charge 1 hours driving during the day you'd almost never have to plug into anything, and it would hardly cost anything to run.

"Where the hell did the ground go?"

Last edited by Patrick; 01.15.2010 at 10:42 AM.

Old
  (#23)
lutach

01.15.2010, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
With the battery safety thing, making sure they won't over heat under heavy load is important of course, but the thing that's always worried me is what happens in a car crash? Do they catch fire once punctured like the lipo's we use can?
Since the cell they use is plain old lithium ion, yes they'll burst into flames like many laptop batteries has. Maybe Tesla made a solid casing that won't allow that to happen though. The cells I can get are completely safe and are trusted by the US military forces.
Thanks for messaging me Luc ;)
Old
  (#24)
zeropointbug
Z-Pinch racer

Thanks for messaging me Luc ;) - 01.15.2010, 08:24 PM

Hey guys, long time no post....

I don't have much to add other than yes, the Tesla, was in my opinion a joke right from the start. It is a joke in the respect that there is much better technologies out there that they could have used, especially since they are using a light weight Lotus platform... a 1000lb battery? come on! Luciano and I could throw a EV together in a jiffy that would knock the socks off (or rather the tires) a Tesla, or any other EV out there for that matter.

Tesla is pretty much a government company anyways, so I wouldn't count on them to come out with anything special or worthwhile anytime soon.

I am not surprised that Tesla is blocking your posts Luc...

I haven't heard anything about Shelby SuperCars on their Ultimate Aero EV (1000hp)... they said production starts in end of '09, but I don't see anything even mentioning anything about it for the last year now.

Luc, are any of those motor/trans packages made with brushless DC? One of them kind of looks like they are, the twin motor unit?

“The modern astrophysical concept that ascribes the sun’s energy to thermonuclear reactions deep in the solar interior is contradicted by nearly every observable aspect of the sun.” —Ralph E. Juergens

Old
  (#25)
lutach

01.16.2010, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeropointbug View Post
Hey guys, long time no post....

I don't have much to add other than yes, the Tesla, was in my opinion a joke right from the start. It is a joke in the respect that there is much better technologies out there that they could have used, especially since they are using a light weight Lotus platform... a 1000lb battery? come on! Luciano and I could throw a EV together in a jiffy that would knock the socks off (or rather the tires) a Tesla, or any other EV out there for that matter.

Tesla is pretty much a government company anyways, so I wouldn't count on them to come out with anything special or worthwhile anytime soon.

I am not surprised that Tesla is blocking your posts Luc...

I haven't heard anything about Shelby SuperCars on their Ultimate Aero EV (1000hp)... they said production starts in end of '09, but I don't see anything even mentioning anything about it for the last year now.

Luc, are any of those motor/trans packages made with brushless DC? One of them kind of looks like they are, the twin motor unit?
What would we be able to do with $500+ million green ones? Funny thing about the SSC Aero EV is that I sent Jarold an e-mail and a few weeks later I went to the site and saw that EV post. Jerold doesn't have a clue of where to go to get such technology.

All the stuff I posted are brushless zero and would make a nice set up for any vehicle. The twin motor unit is a bit on the heavy side, but it produces tons of torque. Want to see the 750HP motor (A more powerful motor can be made, the 750HP motor only runs on around 310 volts) and 1700HP nveter unit? Please look at the attached file folks. (Darn file is too big)
Old
  (#26)
shaunjohnson
i pwn nitro

01.16.2010, 05:30 AM

dosent the telsa run A123 systems large automotive cells?
arnt they the safe LiFe chemistery?

Old
  (#27)
lutach

01.16.2010, 10:00 AM

Quote:
dosent the telsa run A123 systems large automotive cells?
arnt they the safe LiFe chemistery?
No, I posted the datasheet of the cell they use which is an energy type cell commonly found in our laptops. A electric vehicle needs power type cells. If they went with the A123 cells we use in our little cars (Yes, we are far ahead of the Tesla ), they wouldn't need a pack the ways 1000lbs, plus if they used 6831 of the A123, the pack would weigh much more, but would provide enough energy to meet the range probably under full load if the motor and inverter doesn't over heat.
Old
  (#28)
shaunjohnson
i pwn nitro

01.16.2010, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lutach View Post
No, I posted the datasheet of the cell they use which is an energy type cell commonly found in our laptops. A electric vehicle needs power type cells. If they went with the A123 cells we use in our little cars (Yes, we are far ahead of the Tesla ), they wouldn't need a pack the ways 1000lbs, plus if they used 6831 of the A123, the pack would weigh much more, but would provide enough energy to meet the range probably under full load if the motor and inverter doesn't over heat.
i always knew we were far ahead of telsa,
no one cares about that stuff... they are too busy gawking at the current wo factor of an electric car to notice the shiezer housen batteries!!

Old
  (#29)
lutach

01.16.2010, 03:08 PM

Quote:
i always knew we were far ahead of telsa,
no one cares about that stuff... they are too busy gawking at the current wo factor of an electric car to notice the shiezer housen batteries!!
I just hope nothing bad happens that would put a dead stop to the electric technology. When they did come to the scene, I did think they were using A123 cells which would've been a better choice.

Something good will come out one day.
Old
  (#30)
nieles
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

01.16.2010, 05:25 PM

a123 started producing 15AH and 20AH lifepo4 cells.

here is an link to a thread on a e-bike forum with some serious testing on those cells.
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/vie...p?f=14&t=15093
  Send a message via MSN to nieles