RC Monster

Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > Support Forums > Unlimited Engineering

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old
  (#181)
MiRatlhed
RCMTC-MI

09.13.2012, 03:06 PM

Battery Trays or just a couple straps around the existing bars?

I am thinking about having Monster Mike make me a couple LiPo trays for this truck and have them attach where the pin posts screws come through at.

Or I could just use the stock set up and add a couple velcro straps around the pack for support but I will loose the side and bottom protection. That is my biggest concern.

What do you all think??

Old
  (#182)
gumleguf
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

09.13.2012, 03:32 PM

Truck stands so tall that I don't think side and bottom protection will be an issue. On the other hand a couple of custom battery trays would look good if they were made to fit perfectly and I like battery trays.

Old
  (#183)
feistyacorn
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

09.13.2012, 04:44 PM

Mike made a couple of trays for my G3R and they turned out awesome! That's what my vote is for.

Last edited by feistyacorn; 09.13.2012 at 04:58 PM.

Old
  (#184)
MiRatlhed
RCMTC-MI

09.13.2012, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feistyacorn View Post
Mike made a couple of trays for my G3R and they turned out awesome! That's what my vote is for.

Oh yeah, that sounds way cool. I gotta look through your posts and find a picture of that!

I do like trays also and if I can get some that fit really good it will look great! Might even be able to design them so the mount holes are right with the strap support rods and I can still use both. Just run the bolt from the bottom up through the tray and into the support rod for the aluminum stock Lightning strap.

Oh yeah. Time to draw up a tray this weekend.

Old
  (#185)
Kcaz25
RC-Monster Titanium

09.13.2012, 10:50 PM

Looks great!, I vote for trays Joe.

Old
  (#186)
feistyacorn
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

09.14.2012, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiRatlhed View Post
Oh yeah, that sounds way cool. I gotta look through your posts and find a picture of that!

I do like trays also and if I can get some that fit really good it will look great! Might even be able to design them so the mount holes are right with the strap support rods and I can still use both. Just run the bolt from the bottom up through the tray and into the support rod for the aluminum stock Lightning strap.

Oh yeah. Time to draw up a tray this weekend.
I don't think that I have any pictures posted, yet. But I will take a couple this weekend. My trays are oversized so I can fit the esc on one tray and the receiver on the other. They work very nice.

Old
  (#187)
MiRatlhed
RCMTC-MI

09.14.2012, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feistyacorn View Post
I don't think that I have any pictures posted, yet. But I will take a couple this weekend. My trays are oversized so I can fit the esc on one tray and the receiver on the other. They work very nice.

Yeah that would be great if you could snap some pics, thank you! I was actually thinking about doing the same thing and having a spot to mount the ESC on one of them.

Sweet! I look forward to seeing them.

Old
  (#188)
feistyacorn
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

09.17.2012, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiRatlhed View Post
Yeah that would be great if you could snap some pics, thank you! I was actually thinking about doing the same thing and having a spot to mount the ESC on one of them.

Sweet! I look forward to seeing them.
I just updated my G3R thread to include pictures of the lipo trays.

http://www.rc-monster.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12399

I'm sure Mike could make something similar that would work for your truck. BTW your truck looks AWESOME!

Old
  (#189)
MiRatlhed
RCMTC-MI

09.17.2012, 11:25 PM

Oh Man!! Thanks for the updates and the pics. Your truck looks great and I love those trays. That is exactly what I need for my truck. Is the ESC the same width as the tray or does it hang over a bit towards the center of the truck? I will have to see if I have that much width on each side of the Lightning to do something similar.

Could you give me the two screw hole length dimension under the chassis where you have the trays mounted and the width of them?? I want to know how close it is to the battery strap posts on the Lightning. I really like how those have trays for the RX and the ESC. I bet Mike still has that job saved so maybe he could make a couple more if they are the right size.

Thanks for the compliment on my rig....

Old
  (#190)
feistyacorn
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

09.18.2012, 11:25 AM

I'll have to measure the trays and MMM tonight when I get home. I believe the MMM is slightly more narrow than the tray. Mike made the trays without screw holes, so I was able to align everything exactly the way that I wanted. That would be cool if my trays would work for you, but I would have to imagine that Mike can make the trays any way that you want. I look forward to seeing the new lighting all finished!

Old
  (#191)
MiRatlhed
RCMTC-MI

09.18.2012, 11:32 AM

Yeah sweet, just overall length and width would be awesome to have. I have no problem making mounting holes for the tray. That is what I did with my Predator build, slapped it on the chassis and flopped it over and marked whatever hole was available and countersunk a flat head. Worked freaking awesome. I really like the ideas of the trays for more protection from this chassis. All those NiMh slots will eat up a case eventually.

Yours hug those TP packs sweet. Most of the packs I have which are TP, Pro Tek and Gens Ace are all that size so that is a good tray to start with for size.

Thanks for all your help!!

Old
  (#192)
feistyacorn
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

09.20.2012, 11:51 AM

I forgot about your Predator... That was also an awesome truck!

So the MMM is almost the exact width of the tray. The tray dimensions are roughly 56mm x 205mm with the MMM / RX space taking up 60mm of the length.

Pro Tek and Gens Ace have worked really well for me in the past, but I have had some issues with Thunder Power packs. How do you like your Thunder Power packs compaired to the others?

Old
  (#193)
MiRatlhed
RCMTC-MI

09.21.2012, 08:50 AM

Awesome! Thanks for the pic and dimensions. It appears that might be just a tad too long and it will go over into the servo bay on this chassis. Your Revo works great because the servo is up above the tray position. I will do some more measuring and most likely have one side with the ESC tray on it the same size and then maybe delete the extra on the servo side or just cut it back so I have enough room to mount my RX to it. I think I could cut the servo side back 5 - 10mm and clear the servo mounts.

I have had good luck with my Thunder Power pack but my VP had one puff on him for no reason. My Pro Tek's are great, I use those in my Pro Mod race Clods and love them. I can use them all day and never charge them and still have 45 - 50% left at the end of the event. My kids use our 4 Gens Ace packs and they are great in their Race Clods as well. Great punch and capacity, I love not having to keep charging packs in the middle of the events. NiMh always had you hooking packs up to peak out in between rounds. LiPo's are so sweet.

Old
  (#194)
Chadworkz
UE Supermaxx Addict!

09.29.2012, 01:54 PM

Again, I have one word for all of your trucks...

JEALOUS!

I haven't been able to buy parts or finish any builds lately, life is getting in the way...

-Chad
PM ME IF YOU HAVE THE BELOW:
VBS, CVDs, GM Single-Speed, OTB, Ultramaxxed, Super6, Strobe, Sprong, CNR Brake, UE Hex, DUH Towers, Predator, Blackbird, GA Blue Screws, HCR F/R Skids & Mutant
  Send a message via AIM to Chadworkz