RC Monster

Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > Support Forums > Mini truggy

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old
  (#46)
Finnster
KillaHurtz

06.04.2008, 11:21 AM

So I tested the CRT.5 springs using the same method as above. I used the rear grey springs as well as the blues.

Grey: 59 gF/mm
Blue: 63 gF/mm

The blue HPI hellfire springs are almost the same rate as the stock grey springs on the CRT.5. The yellow OFNA 1/8th springs are quite a bit tighter, and the blue crt.5s are in the middle.

I would guess the silver HPI hellfire springs are ~74gF/mm by my method, heaiver than the .5 blues, but still less than the yellow LX1 springs.

Last edited by Finnster; 06.04.2008 at 11:25 AM.

Old
  (#47)
GO-RIDE.com
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

06.04.2008, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnster View Post
GO-Ride: How do you determine what length to cut the springs too? Why wouldn't you cut them short enough to use the stock shock mounting holes? LMK, as I don't want to trim any springs until I am sure on what I am doing. Thanks
Just from watching the car on the track it seemed that the yellows were pretty close in rate to what I wanted, but they were so long that I could not get the right ride height (bones level w/ 2.2 truck tires). So, I cut 1 coil off and tested them, the car still sat too high. I cut a second coil off and now the car needed a bit of preload to get bones level.

I don't have the crt.5 here with me, but if I remember right with the shocks mounted in the standard shock tower holes it was going to be very difficult to get the right ride height and the wheels would be very limited on up travel. From my experience with the car on the track mounting both the front and rear upper shock mounts inward gives the car good handling in the corners, lots of up travel for rough sections, and enough droop for big jumps.

E-CRT.5 Monster - RCM chassis, MM/Medusa 50x3300/3s, truck tires, 1/8 shocks
E-CRT.5 Stock - Sidewinder/4600/2s, buggy tires
E-8ight - Tekin RX8 2000kv/4S
E-8ight T- Tekin RX8 1700kv/5S

Old
  (#48)
Shark413
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

06.09.2008, 03:05 AM

This thread is fantastic. I love my brushless CRT.5 but the extra weight of the battery was really overworking the stock shocks and even with the heavy springs I was getting too much chassis slap. After seeing this thread I added Revo shocks in the front and Kyosho 1/8 front buggy shocks in the rear. The only difference was that I moved the body mounts to the outside shock mount holes. GO-RIDE.com, great idea.

Revo shocks, Jato 1.6 springs 40wt oil

Kyosho 1/8 scale buggy shocks, medium spring, 35wt oil

Losi 2.0 8ight-E / Losi 2.0 8ight-E/T / jammin SCTRC10 / Slash 4x4 PE

Old
  (#49)
Finnster
KillaHurtz

06.09.2008, 06:00 PM

I took the .5 to the track and was happy with the mods. I used pink jato springs in front, and cut down blue HPI springs listed above. 30wt oil all around.

RCM Mike also took a look at the mod and was impressed by it. Good job on the thumbs up from RCM!

After some discussions w/ Mike, it was decided the oil could go down slightly in the F and up in the rear. I'm going to go for 27.5wt in F, and 35 in the R and go from there. I'll have to take a 2nd look at the yellow springs as well. Race weight is 1950g for my .5.

We had it to compare to a non modded .5 and the benefit of the mod was obvious. All in all I think I spent ~$35. Really I just bought the shocks and springs. I popped out the ball stud from the ofna stockers and popped it in the GTR ball end so it fit in the crt arm properly.

Old
  (#50)
Arct1k
RC-Monster Mod

06.09.2008, 06:14 PM

Yeah it worked pretty good! Humbug!

PS only because Ryan trashed me at the track... my setup was way off though - when I breaked I forward flipped which Mike helped fix... and then in the final I dropped to 2s and it wasn't enough...

3s was fun on the tripple though - Further / higher than the 1/8... Landing another issue...

PPS bought some revo shocks last night to try this mod...

Old
  (#51)
Finnster
KillaHurtz

06.09.2008, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arct1k View Post
Yeah it worked pretty good! Humbug!

PS only because Ryan trashed me at the track... my setup was way off though - when I breaked I forward flipped which Mike helped fix... and then in the final I dropped to 2s and it wasn't enough...

3s was fun on the tripple though - Further / higher than the 1/8... Landing another issue...

PPS bought some revo shocks last night to try this mod...
That's not what I meant you silly man. I just meant when we were dropping the trucks and bouncing the suspensions side by side. As far as the racing goes.. IDK. Mike's desc was pretty good:

Quote:
Ryan played it safe and cool on the track, while Arct1k/Chris was a bit wild early on, but settled down later in the day
You'd catch up then fly off that triple...lol...I thought you were trying to lawn dart the moon. I just tried to stay slow and steady and not wreck, esp as our class always had lazy marshals. I'm not practiced enough to go balls out around, and every time I started pushing too fast for my skill I'd wreck it and lose lots of time. I was happy to see how durable the trucks were. Other than that servo saver, I was surprised nothing broke on the little things. I'm always nervous about breaking stuff. (my old Emaxx reflexes I guess.) I did push and land the double perfectly at the end and was stoked. Mostly I wimped out and did singles. If I could get that down, and doubling the whoops, I'd be pretty happy. It was fairly easy on the Revo (when it was working) but I couldn't get the timing quite right on the .5.

Anyway... the shocks did seem to me much better than I had before. Much plusher and more confident w/o so much slapping. It was a pretty rough track and well worn by the 1/8th scalers, but the little truck just rolled over it.

Old
  (#52)
lucias
RC-Monster Aluminum

07.16.2008, 12:40 PM

has anyone tried the GTr shocks on the rear as well? or are they to short? I was about to roder mine and thought about rodering 4 to see if they would fit but I figured I would ask since you guys would already know...

Old
  (#53)
Arct1k
RC-Monster Mod

07.16.2008, 12:44 PM

I believe too short and not enough travel...

Old
  (#54)
GO-RIDE.com
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

07.16.2008, 01:26 PM

Yep, too short and not enough travel. I'm using Ofna LX One front shocks I bought on ebay for less than $20. They are the same parts as the 13mm shocks off the earlier Jammin CR/CRT. Very nice shocks.

Old
  (#55)
Finnster
KillaHurtz

07.16.2008, 04:52 PM

There should be tons of F buggy shocks you can find to work. The LX1s are nice as they are alu caps and fully threaded. I wouldn't really mess w/ anything else unless you found something that would fit even better.

The setup really is nice. I hadn't driven the .5 in a few weeks as I have the MM now in my Hyper ST. Working on it again last night and you could drop it from quite a hieght w/o bottoming out. Very plush too tho.

Old
  (#56)
lincpimp
Check out my huge box!

08.03.2008, 12:06 AM

Did this mod today, and realy like it. I used the plastic jato shocks on the front and the lx shocks with the yellow springs on the back. Question is, is there any reason not to cut the rear springs? It does sit a bit too high, and the shocks are too stiff. I do need to go with lighter oil, that is for sure. I will try removing 2 coils and see what that does.

What is the general preference for jato front springs? I have silver IIRC, and seem a bit soft. And what weight oil do the jato preassembled shocks come with? Traxxas just calls it silicone oil. Any guesses?

GO-RIDE, any chance of a pic of your rear shocks installed?

Last edited by lincpimp; 08.03.2008 at 12:08 AM.

Old
  (#57)
MetalMan
RC-Monster Mod

08.03.2008, 12:28 AM

A bunch of us are using the pink Jato springs, and I think I have 40wt. oil in mine. Traxxas oil is about 35-40wt.

SH Z-Car, Custom Crawler, 8s Savage, 12s XTM XLB 1/7 buggy, 4wd 4-link rear/IFS Pro4 truck, Custom Hyper 10 Short Course, Belt-Drive Mammoth ST 1/8 truggy, 4s 17.5 MM Pro HPI Blitz

Old
  (#58)
lincpimp
Check out my huge box!

08.03.2008, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMan View Post
A bunch of us are using the pink Jato springs, and I think I have 40wt. oil in mine. Traxxas oil is about 35-40wt.
I will give the pinks a try. The stock oil seems fine to me, but I am not the miost experienced in setting up suspension and shocks. I do not race so stock settings usually do fine for bashing...

Old
  (#59)
GO-RIDE.com
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

08.04.2008, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincpimp View Post
Did this mod today, and realy like it. I used the plastic jato shocks on the front and the lx shocks with the yellow springs on the back. Question is, is there any reason not to cut the rear springs? It does sit a bit too high, and the shocks are too stiff. I do need to go with lighter oil, that is for sure. I will try removing 2 coils and see what that does.

What is the general preference for jato front springs? I have silver IIRC, and seem a bit soft. And what weight oil do the jato preassembled shocks come with? Traxxas just calls it silicone oil. Any guesses?

GO-RIDE, any chance of a pic of your rear shocks installed?
I don't think I ever posted a pic of the rear shocks on mine, but remember someone else posting a pic that had them mounted the same way I did. I don't have my crt.5 handy, but I think I remember how I mounted them.

I believe I just used the stock crt.5 mounting hardware, but I put the upper mounts in the oval slots, on the shock tower, for running 2 body mounts. I only run 1 rear body mount so I had both of those slots open. This leans the shocks in quite a bit so you can still get the rear dogbones level for proper handling. I then mounted the shocks to the outer hole on the arms.

I've seen others mount them in the stock shock tower holes, but you end up with too high of ride height for racing. For bashing it's probably fine.

Old
  (#60)
bustitup

11.14.2008, 05:00 PM

would these work in the front?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=110311279634