RC Monster

Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > Support Forums > Castle Creations

New Sidewinder 4 Cryo-Drive
Old
  (#1)
maxxximatoze
RC-Monster Stock

New Sidewinder 4 Cryo-Drive - 03.13.2018, 05:12 AM

If patrick is laying around, is Cryo-Drive an implementation of synchronous rectification (active freewheeling) and if yes will it be available in future firmware release for high end X series (because my brand new mamba monster X becomes hot and stop with beep sequence --. pretty quickly when drifting around at partial throttle) and when ? Tia !

Last edited by maxxximatoze; 03.13.2018 at 05:44 AM.

Old
  (#2)
Pdelcast
RC-Monster Titanium

08.20.2018, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxximatoze View Post
If patrick is laying around, is Cryo-Drive an implementation of synchronous rectification (active freewheeling) and if yes will it be available in future firmware release for high end X series (because my brand new mamba monster X becomes hot and stop with beep sequence --. pretty quickly when drifting around at partial throttle) and when ? Tia !
Not exactly. Cryo-drive is more sophisticated than synchronous rectification -- it's a true active freewheeling.

Patrick del Castillo
President, Principle Engineer
Castle Creations

Old
  (#3)
maxxximatoze
RC-Monster Stock

08.20.2018, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdelcast View Post
Not exactly. Cryo-drive is more sophisticated than synchronous rectification -- it's a true active freewheeling.
OK, good news, since it's the only big feature missing in castle prodcut, mainly air ESC for partial throttle with with some power load, like helicopter and less with ground ESC even if my MMX in 13lbs car (hpi apache sc) is a little affected by heat at partial throttle and get pretty hot quickly with the fan almost always on (with 10Ah 4S battery).

Can you tell if the other ESC like MMX will receive the software update to enable cryodrive equivalent ? Thx a lot !

Old
  (#4)
Pdelcast
RC-Monster Titanium

08.21.2018, 05:10 AM

Quote:
OK, good news, since it's the only big feature missing in castle prodcut, mainly air ESC for partial throttle with with some power load, like helicopter and less with ground ESC even if my MMX in 13lbs car (hpi apache sc) is a little affected by heat at partial throttle and get pretty hot quickly with the fan almost always on (with 10Ah 4S battery).

Can you tell if the other ESC like MMX will receive the software update to enable cryodrive equivalent ? Thx a lot !
I can't comment on any future releases. Sorry!

Patrick del Castillo
Castle Creations

Old
  (#5)
maxxximatoze
RC-Monster Stock

08.21.2018, 05:14 AM

For people who don't know what is the active freewheeling here is a video where a castle ice2 160hv (without AFW) is compared whith a kontronik kosmik 200 (with AFW). Not same size or same current but it gives an idea of the efficiency gain that the AFW can bring to the table at partial throttle (see delta T values for both ESC after the tests).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKN18ZTqoag

Old
  (#6)
maxxximatoze
RC-Monster Stock

08.21.2018, 05:17 AM

Quote:
I can't comment on any future releases. Sorry!
Maybe you could tell if it's technicaly possible with the hardware in MMX for a future release ? Thx a lot !

Old
  (#7)
Pdelcast
RC-Monster Titanium

08.21.2018, 05:26 AM

Quote:
For people who don't know what is the active freewheeling here is a video where a castle ice2 160hv (without AFW) is compared whith a kontronik kosmik 200 (with AFW). Not same size or same current but it gives an idea of the efficiency gain that the AFW can bring to the table at partial throttle (see delta T values for both ESC after the tests).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKN18ZTqoag

While true, there are also instances when active freewheeling reduces efficiency significantly.

Cryodrive is more sophisticated than simple AFW, and results in efficiency gains across the board.

Patrick del Castillo
Castle Creations

Old
  (#8)
maxxximatoze
RC-Monster Stock

08.21.2018, 06:10 AM

Quote:
While true, there are also instances when active freewheeling reduces efficiency significantly.

Cryodrive is more sophisticated than simple AFW, and results in efficiency gains across the board.
OK, it seems to be a very cool feature (in every senses of th word) ! What do you mean "instances when active freewheeling reduces efficiency significantly" ? Do you know if the hardware in the MMX can be compatible with this new software feature ? Tia.

Old
  (#9)
Pdelcast
RC-Monster Titanium

08.21.2018, 06:15 AM

Quote:
OK, it seems to be a very cool feature (in every senses of th word) ! What do you mean "instances when active freewheeling reduces efficiency significantly" ? Do you know if the hardware in the MMX can be compatible with this new software feature ? Tia.
I mean that in some circumstances, AFW reduces the system efficiency vrs passive freewheeling.

I don't know offhand if the MMX will support Cryodrive. Sorry, I'm stuck in Shanghai at the airport waiting for a six hour delay flight.

Patrick del Castillo
Castle Creations

Old
  (#10)
maxxximatoze
RC-Monster Stock

08.21.2018, 06:20 AM

Quote:
I mean that in some circumstances, AFW reduces the system efficiency vrs passive freewheeling.

I don't know offhand if the MMX will support Cryodrive. Sorry, I'm stuck in Shanghai at the airport waiting for a six hour delay flight.
6 hours ! sorry for you, hope there is a bar not too far to drink some beers ;)