RC-Monster Forums  
RC Monster

Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > Questions and Answers > General Questions

Odd electronics behavior, delayed throttle & steering response
Old
  (#1)
WheelMan
Do Epic Sh!t

Odd electronics behavior, delayed throttle & steering response - 04.27.2015, 12:16 PM

After scouring the web for examples of people having similar issues to mine, with no luck, I've come here in hope's for an answer (or at least some guidance).

I've been running a system consisting of an MM2 with a 1717 Motor, 10 amp Castle BEC, and a Flysky GT3C radio, on 4S for quite some time now, with zero issues. Everything operates flawlessly. But the second I plug 6S into this setup, I get weird delayed responses to throttle and steering inputs. I can go back to 4S and everything is fine.

I have the same issue with another vehicle that has the exact same system configuration, only exception being an XL2 instead of the MM2 ESC. Runs flawlessly on 4S, but the second I plug 6S in, I get the delayed responses.

Any idea as to where I might be getting this issue from? Everything is soldered up very nicely (I'm a bit OCD about that), so I know I don't have any shorts anywhere (plus, I'm getting the same symptoms on two different vehicles).

To explain the symptoms in more detail, I'm getting very "glitchy" steering response. If I turn the wheels left to right quickly, the servo moves very erratically, and stops momentarily in random spots and then seems to "catch up" and complete the action received by my input from the transmitter. Throttle is doing something similar. At times I will pull the trigger and let go quickly, as if to apply a small burst of power and then let off, but nothing happens until after I've already completed the input on the transmitter. I'll pull the trigger and let off quick, then a moment later, the vehicle will burst forward, as if there was a time delay between my input and the vehicles receipt of that input. I should add that this is very inconsistent behavior though. It does not happen all the time. Sometimes it will operate as if nothing is wrong and then all the sudden it will catch me off guard and act up again. Which can be very irritating. For example, yesterday I had one of the vehicles out on 6S, and I was experiencing situations where the system was acting as if I was holding the throttle at 100% for a few seconds straight, when all I actually did was "goose" it. This resulted in a few nasty crashes...as I'm sure we can all certainly understand, as a 1717 motor on 6S can be pretty wild!

Anyways, I'm hoping someone here can shed some light on my issue for me. Or at least point me in the right direction. I thought for sure I would find posts somewhere online from people experiencing these symptoms, but I came up short. So thanks in advance to anyone who can help!

-Travis

Adults are just kids, with money.
Common sense, is not so common.

Old
  (#2)
Mr E-Maxx
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

04.27.2015, 01:44 PM

Hi,

maybe the Castle BEC is the Problem. If the Voltage is higher (6s 25V) the BEC didn't work very well, because it has to much more to do. The electrical efficiency will go down. The difference between 6V and 25V is a lot. If the componets aren't the best in you BEC it could be the problem. I would check the BEC output Voltage if you use the 6s.

Old
  (#3)
WheelMan
Do Epic Sh!t

04.27.2015, 01:50 PM

ok, will do. I know I changed the output voltage (the whole reason I'm using a BEC in the first place) for my steering servo. Never thought it would have an effect like this though, darn. I have the power wires for the BEC soldered straight onto the ESC. Should I have them somewhere else?

-Travis

Old
  (#4)
ruudxd
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

04.28.2015, 04:43 PM

I have a Castle BEC to, no problems with a pretty hungry servo?
Did you remove the red wire from the ESC wire that goes to the receiver?

The BEC should be soldered to the power leads of the ESC, so the wires to/from the battery.
As long as they are soldered on to there, it should be good.
Check out the Castle site for a wiring diagram, that should be in the package of the BEC to.

Are you sure that you receiver and servo both can handle the voltage you set the BEC to?

Old
  (#5)
WheelMan
Do Epic Sh!t

04.28.2015, 05:05 PM

I am using a Protek 170S servo for steering, on both vehicles, and I used Castle Link to change the output voltage of both my BECs to 7.4v, since that is the servo's maximum recommended voltage.

Also, I wired the BECs up to both my ESCs just as the castle instructions showed (same way you mentioned), pretty easy stuff. And I did remove the red wire from the ESC's, as its not needed with the BEC installed. So I have everything setup correctly (which I didn't really have any doubts on....but never hurts to double check).

If the receiver couldn't handle the 7.4v I have the BEC set to, wouldn't I have the issues on 4S as well?...not just on 6S? That's the only time I'm experiencing the issues, when I plug into 6S. Quite puzzling to me...

Thanks for the input! But it seems I'm still searching for an answer... (other than removing the BEC all together to see if its the root cause of my issues)

-Travis

Last edited by WheelMan; 04.28.2015 at 05:08 PM.

Old
  (#6)
ruudxd
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

04.28.2015, 05:28 PM

I just read your post again, if there are no shared components between both cars other then the radio, then the only thing I can think of is the radio does not work porperly on 6S somehow?
I have no idea if it is possible, and if so, what causes it.

But maybe someone with more knowlege of it reply's later?

Old
  (#7)
WheelMan
Do Epic Sh!t

04.29.2015, 09:19 AM

Hmm, well thank you for the input ruudxd, I appreciate it.

Anyone here have much experience with using the FlySky products?

I suppose I will have to just remove the BEC & start there.

-Travis

Old
  (#8)
Arct1k
RC-Monster Mod

04.29.2015, 03:11 PM

Try more capacitors on input rx to help smooth voltage drops.

I've had odd behavior before with this.

Glitchbuster

Last edited by Arct1k; 04.29.2015 at 03:13 PM.

Old
  (#9)
WheelMan
Do Epic Sh!t

04.29.2015, 03:26 PM

I did see some mentions of "glitchbusters" during my searching, but I didn't think much about it. I see now that they are just a capacitor with a receiver plug. I will get one of those and see if that helps. Thanks for the help! BrianG mentioned doing the same thing.

-Travis

Old
  (#10)
ruudxd
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

04.29.2015, 05:16 PM

Ah, now I have learnt something to, hope for you that this is it!
Normally I would say that the BEC would solve the glitching issues, but it is probalbly making the issue now!

Little tip, Brian gave you the right numbers for the cap, if you can, get an package of receiver plugs with wires on them ( like extentions at Hobbyking or something like that ) , and a couple of caps, and solder your own.
That should be way less expensive than a premade "glitchbuster" where you pay a lot for the name

Old
  (#11)
WheelMan
Do Epic Sh!t

04.30.2015, 02:41 PM

Yep! That is my plan, grab a couple caps with the specs Brian mentioned, and solder some receiver plug ends on them (I'm sure I have some spare ones around somewhere).

I noticed I can get a handful of caps for a couple dollars, while the "glitchbusters" are $5-$15 each

-Travis

Last edited by WheelMan; 04.30.2015 at 02:43 PM.

Old
  (#12)
ruudxd
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

04.30.2015, 03:52 PM

Good plan indeed, good way to save some money on the hobby :)