Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > Questions and Answers > General Questions

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Is EMAXX Really the right truck.....
Old
  (#1)
Emaxx Derek
RC-Monster Stock

Is EMAXX Really the right truck..... - 01.29.2013, 01:45 PM

I've been having a lot of problems with my emaxx basically since I've had it...I've dumped a LOT of money into it and I'm starting to wonder if it's just not the right platform or truck! It seems that every time I take the truck out something breaks. I haven't even put the truck through half of it's paces which is really frustrating! I've bought all the good stuff (strong....etc..plastic where plastic should go and metal where metal should go). The other night I was adjusting my slipperential and ran my truck on the stand (wheels hanging) and one side of my r/f axle pins sheared off...I have about 4 battery cycles on them of LIGHT bashing at best...more light driving up and down my street and intermittently off my curb... Now I'm searing for a better axle set up...so, I'm open to any and all suggestions. I have aluminum axle carriers, traxxas axles and rpm arms. I was doing some research last night and it looks like Techno carriers are good..again...suggestions and feed back would be very much appreciated.

Then I started looking at different trucks/buggy's etc...I really like the HPI 5b flux...wondering...should I sell the Emaxx and just start over with a rig like that.... I like big rc's which draws me to the 1/5 scale. I don't want gas due to I like to run it on my street in front of my house...and I like my neighbors...and want them to continue to like me... :).

Thanks all,
Derek

Old
  (#2)
WheelMan
Do Epic Sh!t

01.29.2013, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emaxx Derek View Post
It seems that every time I take the truck out something breaks.
haha Sorry not laughing at you by any means, but when I red this I just had to chuckle. This is just the nature of the hobby my friend There have been very few times I've taken my Maxx out and NOT come back with at least 1 broken part (most of the time its a few). I would say the majority of the time, the reason I head back inside after running it, is because I've broken something, not because I'm actually done.

As far as changing rigs...that is something you need to weigh the pro's and con's before making a decision. Like, can you get much from your current rig?...because a 5b flux is going to cost you. That would be the best place to start IMO, if you're really considering changing over to something else, and can't afford to have both.

Or you just save save save save save, and then have both

-Travis

Adults are just kids, with money.
Common sense, is not so common.

Last edited by WheelMan; 01.29.2013 at 02:31 PM.

Old
  (#3)
nastety92
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

01.29.2013, 02:57 PM

My experience with owning an E-Maxx was fairly short, roughly six months. Just like your experience I was also breaking parts everytime it was working again.

I've now gone to 1/8th scale Truggies. They are the complete opposite of my old Maxx. Yes I've broken my truggies but not nearly as much as the Maxx. Sometimes I go 3-4 outtings without breaking a single thing or having a single problem.

Most of the time I have issues with pinion/ spur gear alignment.

Nick

Tamiya TRF801Xt-e

Old
  (#4)
Emaxx Derek
RC-Monster Stock

01.29.2013, 03:23 PM

Nick...my point exactly! I don't expect to not break things...My 7 year old son has a 2wd slash that he pounds on and nothing breaks! Granted...it doesn't have nearly the power as a MM set up does so, I understand that. The emaxx just doesn't seem fun....I would think I'd be able to go out and drive around my street and jump off curbs with out issues...I've barely been able to do that.

I'm thinking of just keeping the emaxx and getting a rig like the 5B...I really like the buggy look but, this time I'm going to do research and get the best one available!

Old
  (#5)
nastety92
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

01.29.2013, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emaxx Derek View Post
Nick...my point exactly! I don't expect to not break things...My 7 year old son has a 2wd slash that he pounds on and nothing breaks! Granted...it doesn't have nearly the power as a MM set up does so, I understand that. The emaxx just doesn't seem fun....I would think I'd be able to go out and drive around my street and jump off curbs with out issues...I've barely been able to do that.

I'm thinking of just keeping the emaxx and getting a rig like the 5B...I really like the buggy look but, this time I'm going to do research and get the best one available!
I really like the looks of the 5b but I don't like thats its only 2wd. I'm waiting for a 4wd 1/5th scale to come out that is either a buggy or truggy. I don't want a 1/5th scale SC truck, that just doesn't interest me.

My point being, with the big power of 1/5th scale I'd want 4wd as well.

I'm just a basher though and don't race at all.

Nick

Tamiya TRF801Xt-e

Old
  (#6)
Emaxx Derek
RC-Monster Stock

01.29.2013, 03:33 PM

agreed....I was watching them on YT last night and only saw dirt flying from the rear wheels...booo. Good reason to wait for sure!!

Old
  (#7)
ZippyBasher
8th scale Stunt-Driver/Mechanic

01.29.2013, 04:49 PM

If you dont want to upgrade endlessly and still have to "repair" every couple runs, go 1/8 Buggy/Truggie. I BEAT on my 8ight-B and D8T and rarely break anything. 6 months of Hard bashing and I bent 1 CVD and a a shock rod end.

You can try to bulletproof the Maxx but it still handles like a turd compared to the 1/8 counterparts. I have over 1k in the maxx and it plain sucks compared to the $250 D8T.

Looks cool. But a huge waste of money.... IMO

Maxx - FLM, MMM, CD Med.36x706s
Raja - FLM Ext. MM, 1512, 4s
SC8ight - MMM, 1520, 6s
D8T - MMM 1717 6s

My OVERPOWERED Rides "CLICK"

Like Playing Cards? Cut-Throat Rummy "CLICK"

Old
  (#8)
Kcaz25
RC-Monster Titanium

01.29.2013, 06:54 PM

Your shaft might have broke because you have traxxas shafts and they are nice, but too short. Is this the pin at the ball at the end of the shaft? The arms were probably at considerable droop and when they were turning the shaft came out of the cup and when being forced back in it couldn't and broke your pin.

You should probably look into longer cups, or lowering your ride height. The truck should still be able to smash over stuff. Turn the pivot balls in as far as they can go too, without binding the steering.

Old
  (#9)
brainanator
RC-Monster Aluminum

01.29.2013, 06:58 PM

I might get flamed, but I have no idea why the emaxx is so popular...
I told my little bro to get one, and helped him buy one from these forums that was already upgraded pretty far with the "essentials". He broke it every stinking run when him and I would drive. I was driving my savage twice as hard as him, and he'd just try to follow off a jump or something, and break stuff.
I felt terrible for talking him into the emaxx after seeing how poor it performed compared to my fairly stock savage flux. We eventually got it sold off, and bought a savage for him (again, from these forums) and he's loved it since.
I guess if you can dump 3X the price in rare parts into an emaxx it can be tough from the testimonials around here, but I personally wouldn't touch an emaxx with a 10' pole, unless it was a brushed one for dinking around in water/snow or something.
Whew, felt like I had on my chest forever...

OFNA Jammin CRT.5e, Savage Flux HP, MBX5Te, SCX10, Multirotors, foam planes
  Send a message via Yahoo to brainanator Send a message via MSN to brainanator  
Old
  (#10)
Emaxx Derek
RC-Monster Stock

01.29.2013, 07:23 PM

That's exactly why my shaft broke (that sounds weird.....). I was running it on my stand and heard this nasty clacking sound....looked in the arm...and saw the shaft off to the side in the boot. I pulled it out and found one side of the pin sheared off. I picked up some MIPP ones today...so, we'll see how those work. I'm sure they'll break driving out my driveway at 5mph.....

I've been looking at HPI stuff all day...I like a buggy but, want electric and 4wd.

Old
  (#11)
ZippyBasher
8th scale Stunt-Driver/Mechanic

01.29.2013, 09:11 PM

Seriously the 1/8 Buggies are the best all around car In my opinion. Very durable and versatile. Buggy body and Wing, Short Course Body and Bumpers or even GTP Sreet bodies all fit perfect on 1/8 buggies and make them very custom. (See my avatar 8ight-B and Ofna LX-1E) They make the Ofna LX-2E now for about $200 and you can get coupon for maybe $175 shipped at Tower. Great car for the price...

If you want bigger I'd suggest a D8T only because it is much cheaper in price compared to the other manufactures but also very durable as I said before.

OF COURSE IT WOULD BE ELECTRIC, GET ONE OF MIKES MOUNTS AND RUN A FATTY MOTOR! 1520 OR 1717 ALL DAY!

edit: I DID find out what the emaxx was good for........ Pushing my niece around on her Big wheel (Tricycle). That was fun.

Maxx - FLM, MMM, CD Med.36x706s
Raja - FLM Ext. MM, 1512, 4s
SC8ight - MMM, 1520, 6s
D8T - MMM 1717 6s

My OVERPOWERED Rides "CLICK"

Like Playing Cards? Cut-Throat Rummy "CLICK"

Last edited by ZippyBasher; 01.29.2013 at 09:16 PM.

Old
  (#12)
Emaxx Derek
RC-Monster Stock

01.29.2013, 09:25 PM

Anyone have any experience with HPI RTR TROPHY BUGGY FLUX 2.4ghz?

Isn't HPI one of the most durable? It's cheap enough....and it's buggy...although I'd love to get 1/5 scale 4wd buggy.

Old
  (#13)
nastety92
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

01.29.2013, 10:28 PM

I do not have any personal experience with that buggy. From what i have read online its on the lower end. I would get a used D8 or another buggy and use one of the RCM Conversions.

Nick

Tamiya TRF801Xt-e

Old
  (#14)
Emaxx Derek
RC-Monster Stock

01.29.2013, 11:43 PM

Its between the hpi trophy buggy and the team associated rc 8.2e rtr buggy.

D8 is a truck.. I want a buggy. What is rcm conversion?

Old
  (#15)
Klausen
Brushless G-maxx

01.30.2013, 03:12 AM

Personally I am a huge E-maxx fan. Not that much due to the performance of these trucks, cause yes, you have to throw quite a lot of $ in them, to perform good and hold up. Anyway I like the endless posibilities of modifying the E-maxx.

If you want to stay at the MT platform, why not convert a Losi LST. It is by far the best performing truck I have had, and I never broke anything when I had it. I have also had a couple of Savage Flux's (which were also great trucks), but nothing beats the LST imo.