Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > Support Forums > GorillaMaxx

Difference between the Gorillamaxx G2, G3 & G4 chasis
Old
  (#1)
DarkSammy
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

Difference between the Gorillamaxx G2, G3 & G4 chasis - 08.13.2013, 04:43 AM

Hey guys,

What are the major differences between the Gorillamaxx G2, G3 & G4 chasis. It is not really easy to see the major differences that are either positive or negative. Any feedback from those in the know would be appreciated. I also see that there are extended G3 chasis out there. Are you able to use a monoblock on all of the chasis, or only some of them?

Old
  (#2)
Justinbolin
Hugo Stiglitz

08.14.2013, 05:47 AM

A Gorillamaxx G4 chassis is for the newer EMaxx trucks including the Brushless EMaxx.
The Gorillamaxx G2 chassis is for the older EMaxx trucks most notably the Emaxx model# 3906.
The Gorillamaxx G3 is also for the older EMaxx model# 3906.
The G3 is nearly the exact chassis as the G2 with a couple of exceptions.
The G3 is carbon fiber the G2 is aluminum.
The G3 has thicker (2.5mm) top and bottom chassis plates then the G2 chassis.

The G3 comes with an extended rear top plate and extended rear skid plate. That's what the 'extended G3 chassis' is referring to.
You could've bought the these pieces separately from Gorillamaxx with either a carbon fiber or aluminum extended rear top plate, or a regular sized rear top plate (no skid). The ext rear skid is always aluminum.

You can use a UE monoblock extension on any of the Gorillamaxx chassis'. You can not use the monoblock if you have the extended rear top plate and extended skid installed on the G2 and G3. You can use the monoblock on the G2 and G3 if you have the regular length rear top plate installed and whatever skidplate.

All 3 chassis' lower the center of gravity on your EMaxx once installed. These were made for racing your EMaxx and giving it more of a 1/8 Truggy stance which is better for racing then the taller stock Monster Truck stance.

The biggest difference between the G2 and G3 vs the G4 chassis is what transmission you can use on the chassis'.
On the G2 and G3 chassis' you have to use the older EMaxx 3906 transmission or a 3906 trans that's been converted to a single speed with the Gorillamaxx G1 transmission kit.
The G4 accepts the newer Traxxas transmission that comes on the Brushed/Brushless EMaxx, Brushed/Brushless Erevo and the Traxxas Summit Monster Trucks.

Hope that helps, if you have any more questions or if you need parts for your Gorillamaxx truck build let me know, more then likely I'll have the part you need, wether or not I'll sale it to you is another matter. Lol!
One last note, the Gorillamaxx G4 chassis has become one of the harder to find EMaxx chassis's out there. I have people trying to buy one of my G4's all the time.

- Justin

[1] Gorillamaxx G4 w/Flexteks
[1] Gorillamaxx G4 w/RacerX
[1] Gorillamaxx G4 w/G3.3

"No one can resist my Schwetty balls"[/b]

Last edited by Justinbolin; 08.14.2013 at 06:18 AM.
  Send a message via Yahoo to Justinbolin  
Old
  (#3)
Justinbolin
Hugo Stiglitz

08.14.2013, 06:16 AM

These are links to product page of the difference Gorillamaxx chassis. It includes a picture of the chassis and a product description from Gorillamaxx. Couldn't find a link to the G2 chassis, sorry:

Gorillamaxx G3 Aluminum Chassis:
http://www.stormerhobbies.com/cgi-bi...=&pn=GMX07CHAL
Gorillamaxx G3 carbon fiber Chassis:
http://www.stormerhobbies.com/cgi-bi...=&pn=GMX07CHCF
Gorillamaxx G4 Chassis:
http://slashracer.proboards.com/inde...lay&thread=947

- Justin

Old
  (#4)
DarkSammy
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

08.14.2013, 08:09 PM

Great information there, thank you very much Justin!

Old
  (#5)
K1RC
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

12.17.2014, 04:25 PM

A bit random but just wondering, why did they stop making them?

Old
  (#6)
RC-Monster Mike
Site Owner

12.18.2014, 04:39 PM

George, the owner of GorillaMaxx, was an architect(still is AFAIK) by day and made the Gorilla stuff as a hobby/side business. Between Traxxas threatening a lawsuit for the "xx" in the brand name, and the economic downturn that crushed a lot of people's discretionary income in late '08, it just became more of a task than an enjoyment or money maker for him, so he threw in the towel(I wanna say maybe in '09 or '10 - don't remember exactly). The Gorilla stuff was always nice - I have a few Gorilla trucks around(of course) and have no intention of parting with them. I hooked up with George early on with the G1 chassis(won one at a race when it first came out) and was pretty involved throughout the tenure of GorillaMaxx, so a bit nostalgic for me. :-)

Old
  (#7)
K1RC
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

12.19.2014, 06:02 AM

Such a shame, always seems the way with epic things these days haha!

Old
  (#8)
phildogg
RC-Monster Aluminum

12.20.2014, 02:15 PM

Yeah i wish they still made the chassis for the revo

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1g...MR6SqQkehkevwA
my youtube channel
  Send a message via Yahoo to phildogg Send a message via AIM to phildogg  
Old
  (#9)
DarkSammy
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

06.06.2015, 03:00 AM

Does anyone know how many G1 Chassis Gorillamaxx made? And in what years they were manufactured? I would love to make this thread a bit of a written history on Gorillamaxx if I can... It is one of my favorite brands for the Maxx platform.

Old
  (#10)
Serum
RC-Monster Admin

06.07.2015, 09:20 AM

I agree. It deserves a WIKI :)

Good quality products, for a fair price.

can't help you here on a timeline, but I'm pretty sure Mike can.

I know the initial G-maxx chassis used x-braces with hollow pockets. It was a very light chassis with the thin carbon plates and these braces. Later George stopped doing this, don't know what the main reason was thouh. Strength or cost.
Too bad he stopped producing them, his revo chassis is still the best aftermarket till date i've come across.

Old
  (#11)
DarkSammy
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

06.07.2015, 12:32 PM

I think it was the G2 that had the hollow x-braces, and the G3 was improved with strengthened x-braces... but I could be wrong. Never been into the revo platform, but the Gorillamaxx revo chassis does look awesome. The G1 was a very raw chassis compared to the G2 & onward:

The above truck is not mine, I found pics of it on the UE forums. But the chassis below is being shipped to me as we speak. Pretty excited. Mike do you know if the Gorillamaxx Single Speed Conversion plate will work with the G1 Mount?

Old
  (#12)
RC-Monster Mike
Site Owner

06.08.2015, 11:47 AM

There aren't a whole lot of G1s out there - no idea exactly how many, but when I won the G1, GorillaMaxx was brand new and the G2 came pretty quickly. The G2s should be the most available(though the G3 is largely the same, but with thicker plates and no "short" version).
The Gorilla motor mount is compatible with the single speed - the Gorilla mount is not very rigid, though. The 2nd generation gorilla mount was better, but still not stiff enough for common motors around today.

Old
  (#13)
DarkSammy
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

06.08.2015, 07:15 PM

Man that is awesome information, thanks Mike. Did not know that the G3 was only ever made in the longer EXT length... I don't plan on ever running this truck, so the rigidity of the G1 mount is not hugely important to me. I would like to keep it as close to possible to what parts were available when the truck was still in production.

Old
  (#14)
Justinbolin
Hugo Stiglitz

06.08.2015, 08:12 PM

I've been told that you can tell a G2 main chassis plate from a G3 by the sides of the chassis. If the curves up, you got a G2. If the edge of the chassis is flat then you have the thicker plated G3.
That goes for the G2 & G3 and G2R & G3R.

Old
  (#15)
RC-Monster Mike
Site Owner

06.08.2015, 08:38 PM

The G2 used 2.5mm thick plates, while the G3 used 3mm thick plates. The G3 was only sold as an extended chassis, while the G2 was sold as a shorter chassis, with the extension a separate item. The G2 braces had an extra hole on the uprights, where the Gorilla motor mount attached(and my V1 Slipperential transmission) - the G3 braces did not have the holes. Like Justin mentioned, the G1 and G3 battery plates were flat, while the G2 battery plates were curved up at the edges.