Yes I NEED one. 18 62.07%
Not worth the effort 11 37.93%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

"Quick" change battery system
Old
  (#1)
CrazyCooydog

"Quick" change battery system - 11.08.2008, 09:06 AM

I started a post in the electric section but before I knew how to start a poll.

So here it is:

how many would be interested in a quick change system.
A system that would alow no body modifications, no removal of the body to change the battery...
A battery tray that could alow for any hieght of pack with the same length.
this system would work great on a truggy, but I haven't tried on a buggy yet

Please include ideas as to why you voted one way or the other.
Thanks for your thoughts.

Last edited by CrazyCooydog; 11.08.2008 at 09:09 AM.

Old
  (#2)
YogyBrushless
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

11.08.2008, 09:43 AM

sounds good :)

Old
  (#3)
RideIcon
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

11.08.2008, 07:04 PM

no?
lol
of course it would be nice, but not needed

DARKFORCEZ.COM
Stock E-Revo, BARLEY used, $350

Old
  (#4)
Electric Dave

11.08.2008, 07:39 PM

Ug. This has been talked about before and unfortunately it seems like it's going nowhere.

We desperately need a quick change system because even the slowest Nitro guy can "win" in a 20 or more minute race. We can stuff race ready trucks with packs to get us to 15 or 20 mins max but if you go beyond that, you either have to use enormous packs which are not race weight or you have a pit stop that is about 2 minutes long (for a dual pack truck).

I hope that OEM's decide to make a system where you solder your battery leads to some kind of sled which pops into a mount built into the vehicle.

As Electric 1/8th becomes more factory and less home-brew there is a chance for a system like this but somebody has to invest some time, money and a whole lot of risk in order for it to see the light of day.

Old
  (#5)
E-Revonut
RC-Monster RC8T

11.08.2008, 10:00 PM

I really think some more options need to be added to the pole in this thread! I don't NEED one but thats not to say I wouldn't take one. Is it worth the effort for me to develope one, no....Traxxas or Losi maybe. Honestly if I had to do a battery swap on my E-REVO I could do it in about a minute. The body doesn't need to be removed. I use a series adapter and as long as that is long enough you can easily fold up the side of the body and disconnect the battery, replace it, reconnect it, do the same on the other side and be gone! Remember that Nitros have to come in 3-4 times in a 30 minute main, while a battery change would only need to be done once! The actual pit for a nitro doesn't take long but the time coming in and exiting can add up.

edit - decided to say not worth it. BL will prolly get banned from racing against nitro as we continue to dominate!

RC-Monster RC8T 1515 2.5D/MMM/5s RC-M 4500mah
SC10 MMPro 13.5T 2s NeuEnery 5000mah
RC18T Mamba 25/5400kv 2s lipo + 6s NiMh

Last edited by E-Revonut; 11.09.2008 at 12:24 AM.

Old
  (#6)
CrazyCooydog

11.09.2008, 12:20 AM

The best time I made all year for a battery swap was 50 seconds, in my converted revo, I can do my E-Revo in 30sec.

This system is awsome very simple.
Yes very costly.
And very heavy.
Yes I have compleated a 30 min main without a battery change, and took second...only cuss neer the end the nearest nitro was gaining on me quickly in the last 4 laps, so I started driving a bit harder and had a bad landing and broke a front pivot ball. He was able to pass me on the second last lap, I was able to hold second. This was on a very large track..One other factor that needs to be mentioned is that the best MT driver around here had engine troubles and was unable to finish.

in a nitro vs. electric race the swap would be a plus.
But I wonder if these types of races will be going for much longer.

When it comes down to All electrics then the battery limits the length of the mains. then theres not much need for said system.
this is why I would like some input to see if it's worth going through the proplems of higher production.

Last edited by CrazyCooydog; 11.09.2008 at 12:23 AM.

Old
  (#7)
jhautz
RC-Monster Mod

11.09.2008, 12:53 AM

Thas what I am thinking. Once ROAR and RCPro series make some rules for electric classes I have a feeling they will start being split off into their own classes with 15 minute mains being the limit so there wouldint be a need for a fast change battery. If that was the case why didnt they come up with it years ago for the 1/10 electrics?

I can't decide if its more fun
to make it...
or break it...

Silent...But Deadly

Old
  (#8)
Tempted
RCM is smarter than me....

11.09.2008, 01:07 AM

If you really want a system, I'll build one. I can build a set-up that would allow 10 seconds changes per pack. What vehicle are you wanting it done with?

The answer is no. And yes, mine is faster.

Old
  (#9)
Unsullied_Spy
RC-Monster Titanium

11.09.2008, 01:30 AM

For Buggies and Truggies, you could just build a little plastic box that can hold the lipo and have a quickly unsnappable lid that would hinge towards the center. Just drive in, lift the side of the body, unsnap the battery cover, unhook the battery, slide in the new battery and plug it in and you're off.

I'd be fine with a quick removal system, but since I'm a basher it isn't essential.

All I ever wanted was an honest weeks pay for an honest days work.
  Send a message via AIM to Unsullied_Spy Send a message via MSN to Unsullied_Spy  
Old
  (#10)
CrazyCooydog

11.09.2008, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempted View Post
If you really want a system, I'll build one. I can build a set-up that would allow 10 seconds changes per pack. What vehicle are you wanting it done with?
I have the system...just a very costly system at this time.
ya about 8-10 seconds sounds about right.
PM sent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsullied_Spy View Post
For Buggies and Truggies, you could just build a little plastic box that can hold the lipo and have a quickly unsnappable lid that would hinge towards the center. Just drive in, lift the side of the body, unsnap the battery cover, unhook the battery, slide in the new battery and plug it in and you're off.

I'd be fine with a quick removal system, but since I'm a basher it isn't essential.
this is the closest to the system in question sort of the pluging in the new pack.

Old
  (#11)
Electric Dave

11.09.2008, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempted View Post
There is some confidence. Build it and I'll be you have major MFGs knocking on your door.

Personally I'm switching trucks next year from my dual pack truggy to a single pack truggy. So I'd want to see a system which can take a single 4s pack of about 5000Mah. Since most truggies and buggies use this type of power and almost all have similar layouts, designing one system may work (or with minor tweaks work) in almost all the standard conversions.

Old
  (#12)
asheck

11.09.2008, 09:09 AM

I've been thinking of trying something with these. http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-MILWAUKEE-LI...1%7C240%3A1318 I use the tool kit all the time and they seem to do real good.My idea is to take 1 of the tools,cut the end off,and hard mount it to the chassis.Then run my wires out of that.They are only 3000 mah so I'm not sure if 2 would get through a 20 min main,but it would be a simple locking quick change.You could use the 28v and use a LT 10s esc,which should make it no problem.Also since you wouldn't have to alter the battery it would carry it's 2000 cycle warranty.

Old
  (#13)
magman
RC-Monster Dual Brushless

11.09.2008, 09:28 AM

Why could you just have a mandatory pit stop or 2 at say 15-20 min. intervals, repack your rides and the restart . If transponders are used, this could be done. It would also even the field on restarts and possibly make for more competitive racing.

1. MBX-6 T8 1900KV, RX8 ON 4S
2. MBX-5T 1520, MMM ON 5S
3. MBX-5 ONROAD CONVERSION 1515, MMM ON 5S
4. MRX-3 ON ROAD CONVERSION 1512, MMM ON 6S
5. TEN T 2650 T8, MMP ON 3S

Old
  (#14)
Electric Dave

11.09.2008, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magman View Post
Why could you just have a mandatory pit stop or 2 at say 15-20 min. intervals, repack your rides and the restart . If transponders are used, this could be done. It would also even the field on restarts and possibly make for more competitive racing.
Because that's just not how it's done. We are the minority at the track as a result we have to play by their rules for the time being and for 1/8th electric to really be viable we have to be able to race for 30 mins with a pit taking 10-20 seconds at most.

Old
  (#15)
CrazyCooydog

11.09.2008, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Dave View Post
There is some confidence. Build it and I'll be you have major MFGs knocking on your door.

Personally I'm switching trucks next year from my dual pack truggy to a single pack truggy. So I'd want to see a system which can take a single 4s pack of about 5000Mah. Since most truggies and buggies use this type of power and almost all have similar layouts, designing one system may work (or with minor tweaks work) in almost all the standard conversions.
I beleive that is would have been the case a year or two ago,but the longer we wait for this system the more likely we will have a E-only class.
The design in question IS for single packs of same width/length but the height is open to what ever you choose for packs,be it 4s,5s,6s...or 3000mha up to the skies the limmit,or I should say the body.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magman View Post
this is not the way races are held,a pit stratagy is part of racing, and would only come into play in an enduro setting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Dave View Post
Because that's just not how it's done. We are the minority at the track as a result we have to play by their rules for the time being and for 1/8th electric to really be viable we have to be able to race for 30 mins with a pit taking 10-20 seconds at most.
I agree! This is it ,do we forsee another season with the nitro's? As more mfg's come out with 1/8 E vehicles theres a better chance that we WILL have an E only class. Most I've seen use a two battery system, and I beleive it's because WHEN a sactioning body DOES set out rules, one will be hard cases only. At this time we only have 3s hard cases.
I think the swap would need to be down to not more than 10 seconds, even against the nitro's. currently here we have to " stop on the rail 5 seconds" for every stop the nitro's make. There is no exceptions for battery change...
EX: you only need to do one 10sec swap and two 5sec,in a 30 min main. this is not alowed
Our rules state 4stops@5sec= to the nitros 4@3 sec fuel stops.
I'm thinking this will be changed to 5 stops as bolth the E-guy's here finnished in the top 5 most of the time....so it's obvious that the 4@5sec stops are not fair

It is very confusing to me why we don't have a system like this in production all ready....I've seen some small mirricals made here on this fourm, this leads me to think that most of these convertions are sitting on shelfs,or out in the back yard playing on private tracks.

Last edited by CrazyCooydog; 11.09.2008 at 11:10 AM.